What is that knocking sound??!!!!

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
I can not find what is knocking on my car! Its doing my head in!
It mainly does it when reversing / turning while reversing.
It just sounds like somethings loose and is rattling.
I also get a knocking at low speeds on bumpy roads, sounds like it could be droplinks but checked them and they seem fine??
Ive also replaced my driveshafts as was having some cv issues, still no cure.

But for the first time last nite, i heard a sound like something realy loose under the car when at 50mph ish. It sounded like i'd gone over something metal on the road,did it for about 3seconds then stopped, then did it two minutes later.

Checked again this morning and nothing feels loose,

Any ideas? Ive heard top mounts make knocking but dont know to what extent?
Someone else said it could be diff, but i realy hope not.
Anything else it could be, like engine mount or anything?

Any suggestions more than welcome.
Cheers

Check your wishbone bushes and arb bushes mate, sounds like the same problem i had so i polybushed everything and its sorted it

I'll definately check that mate!im hoping its something simple like that.
Local mechanic friend said it could be gears in the diff which are eorn and are dropping top to bottom with rotation.

Anyone else got anything to suggest?
I could do with checking anything which could be causing it

Sounds like the cv joint to me if its knocking while reversing and turning at the same time

But ive just replaced the front driveshafts and cv's and its not changed at all..
Theres no play in the cv joints either

CHECK The TOP MOUNTS.in engine bay on top of struts THE ROUND THINGS. MINE DOES IT, BECUASE UNDER the round thing is a softer material and that was worn away on mine n to see if it was that causing the problem i swapped it over with a different one and it went. but it might not be that just saying. thats what mine did

Yeh im gonna check top mounts.
But although i changed driveshafts it still sounds like offside inner cv joint to me

I had the same thing - from the report by Audi - FRONT COLLARS CRACKED FRONT COLLARS HAVE MOVED ACROSS BAR PLUS 4 W/A £1,513.67 to repair.

I had the same thing - from the report by Audi - FRONT COLLARS CRACKED FRONT COLLARS HAVE MOVED ACROSS BAR PLUS 4 W/A £1,513.67 to repair.

so in english whats that mean?

£1500 to repair.. might be time to trade in the s3 lol

Yeah at stealer prices.

Check prop shaft for play too.

will do..

but it sounds very possible that it is dodgy ARB's, as there is sometimes quite a heavy clunk, similar to a realy bad cv joint, but like i say im 99% sure the CV's are fine as they have been replaced.

So realisticly, without paying stupid dealer prices. what is the price for ARBs? and how many hours labour is likely? anyone know?

cheers

just checked the last MOT online ( the lad i bought it off didnt give me the advisory sheet)

Advisory Notice issued
Nearside Rear Lower Shock absorber has a slightly worn rubber bush (2.7.4)
Offside Rear Lower Shock absorber has a slightly worn rubber bush (2.7.4)

Offside Front Lower rear bush Suspension arm rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)

could that be causing the knocking?

Those points listed may indeed be your knocking. I have a simlar problem, when cornering or on bumpy roads I have a knocking noise. When I brought mine last may the garage did replace a cv boot. I'm going to check all the joints and rubbers on the front end.

well, it looks like mine can either be a cv joint, top mounts, bushes somewhere, or anti roll bars..

i want to sort it asap as im planning a trip to the ring :(

I don't blame you. I'd like to find the fault on mine as the noise can be annoying but if it's nothing to serious I'd like to get my other problems done. My washer bottle is really doing my nut at the mo.

Its not so much that its annoying, im worried its a serious problem and could be dangerous

It's not dangerous unless you are spanking the car around. The £1500 was for labour as well apparently to replace it requires dropping the subframe and realigning it which is where the time is.

so, checked it over well this morning, and the front offside (driver) rear wishbone bush is completely knackerd!
to the degree i can get about 1-2inches movement in any direction.

everything else is solid, theres no play in the ARB's or droplinks.

so im going to replace the wishbone bushes and see if that cures it, then i'll look to top mounts if not.

could the wishbone bush be giving me the knocking im experiencing? i hope so!

AUDI A3 / TT FRONT WISHBONE ARM REAR BUSH on eBay (end time 28-Feb-11 17:48:23 GMT)

does this look ok? its seriously cheap!

VW Golf Mk4 R32, Audi TT, S3 - Pair OEM Wishbone Bushes on eBay (end time 21-Feb-11 15:32:12 GMT)
i found the second ones, but i cant realy see the difference! except the price!

cheers

IIRC there are 2 different size rear wishbone bushes on the S3, earlier models have the smaller 35 mm ones, facelift ones have 40-45 mm ones. Get a set of poly ones ;)

I looked at poly ones, but ive heard the r32 ones would be better.

Mines pre facelift, so not sure what size i need.

They are both the same size. look closely the difference is the S3 one is fully filled, while the a3 cheaper one has four spaces in the rubber, you would notice the difference in heavy braking. I would avoid the cheaper one. many of a3 owner upgrade to the s3 one. powerflex are too stiff from what I previous drives unless you do track days.

Right so there all the same size?
My s3 has the rubber sealed at 4 points rather that all the way round.
Ive ordered a pair of those cheap ones, as they look like they are sealed all the way round.if they arent, il order another pair which are

Well I'm getting a complete ARB replacement tomorrow and rear shocks replacement so will let you know if it resolves it :)

Did your ARB show any signs of wear? Mine looks fine, no movement or anything

I have the same problem when I reverse and turn I get a clunkin noise. When I got it up on the ramps my rear wishbone bushes are f@@ked...... The second set of bushes you have linked to are the same 1,s that Superkarl has used on his thread "superkarls overhaul" I am going to change everything he has done ive just done my track rod ends last week to start with. Hope you find your problem soon mate nothing worse than the S3 being ill.......

Hi Coyle,

Yeah was pretty bad you could tell from a fair distance :p Mine tended to make the noise when there was lateral movement on the suspension e.g. going over a speed bump with one set of wheels left or right side only.

Hope you get it sorted mate!