1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Mapping?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by StevoS3, Oct 22, 2009.

1. StevoS3

StevoS3 Member

[Oct 22, 2009]
    Hey all, just thought I'd try to answer some question a few people have been asking me recently now coz every one is getting bored with there standard turbo's, and for me too ( mainly :) )

Remapping! What exactly is done to remap ur car?

What are the different u can personalise in ur map?

Like can have more torque with less power? visa versa?

What about with better mileage with more power?

What is a must have so you'r map does f*** ur :blackrs4: ?

Does a rolling road or actual drive map make a difference?

I know all this is probably around someone but I can only find bits n bobs n need it put together lol

Anything would help! My first turbo :jester:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Olly P

Olly P My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

4. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Oct 22, 2009]
    most are generic maps which give a set level of power, custom maps are available but tend to be aimed at cars that are more heavily modded..... such as new down pipes, air filters and front mount intercoolers combined, or applicable if considering a bigger turbo....

you tend to get better mpg with a map when not driving the car hard and vice versa when booting it....

obviously you are pushing your car beyond the factory settings so it may highlight some weak areas, mappers tend to map within parameters depending on your additional mods to ensure reliability.

I wouldnt personally touch a rolling road map due to it not being real world scenario stuff, wether thats wrong or not im not sure but would hazard a guess that its a cop out

hope this helps to some degree, most info you want is opinion based
  5. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Oct 23, 2009]

Jabbasports custom maps I know are done on a rolling road and are just fine, the power delivery is strong and smooth, the figures maybe slightly generous...

I'd of thought most custom maps are done the same way...
  6. 1animal1

[Oct 23, 2009]
    my generic map was done and then road tested by CC.... so i assumed a custom would at the very least be road tested too
  7. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Oct 23, 2009]

Animal, why not? I've always been in favour of mapping a car and testing that the car is still performing to expected levels on a RR... I've seen a fair few where the "box" maps simply weren't delivering anywhere near the expected results due to other problems in the car.... or in the case of a 100bhp TDI it was pulling over 150bhp and they were able to spot the clutch slip a lot faster on the RR (but you could smell that anyway!)...

That said - I'd defintiely agree with you that it's pointless tweaking the the nuts off a car on a rolling road as the real world performance will not be the same.
  8. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Oct 23, 2009]
    Road tests consists of them ragging it up the nearest dual or motorway and saying "yeh thats fine" lol.
  9. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Oct 23, 2009]
    When I had a custom map on my Elise it was initially done on a RR then the guy cam out on the road with me, laptop plugged in and made sure everything was ok. He could spot any flat spots in the rev range and would adjust air and fueling to suit. I only needed this custom map because I had high lift cams, new pullies and an Emerald ECU.
  10. Essflee

[Oct 23, 2009]
    Mike at Jabba set the car up on the rolling road, once he was happy he took it out on to the road, came back a few minutes later and said take it for a drive and see what you think...:) big smiles all round

I know the previous company who remapped the car ' generic ' took the car out on the road for a rag, I asked him when he got back how the car was performing and he said just fine, he finds "there" test road and judged how the car was performing by matching the speed to a certain point on the road...pretty much like our bridge tests...lol
  11. 1animal1

[Oct 23, 2009]
    haha, yeah i can see the benefits of both...i think given that then id be happy for my car to be set up or tested via RR to see any anomolies...then road tested afterwards..... if i were to have it done again ;)
  12. StevoS3

StevoS3 Member

[Oct 23, 2009]
    Thats brill thanks :icon_thumright:

Well ill be upgrading my intercooler to a nice forge one I think and get my hoses and hopefully get my 6 pot brake upgrade before my map :drool:

Who is the best for the S3? I know a lot of people have different opinions but I dont want a map thats going to be too harsh but I dnt want something too smooth. I think I like the sound of custom mapping...
    How do u go about getting that done? Friends in the buisness or is there people that will do it for you and what sort of price are u talking about for a custom map? :uhm:
  13. Essflee

[Oct 23, 2009]
    It can depend where you are in the country as to who may be best, I had mine done with jabbasport in peterborough, excellent map in my opinion...

You'll find that most people are happy with there maps, you want to go to a reputable company, the best ones to look up are...

Jabbasport
    custom code
    and revo...

There the ones I'd consider...