What is fsi?

Anito

Reaction score
As the post says... what is it?

I know they are the new audi engines and I assume they are more fuel efficient, but is that it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fuel Startified Injection, I think it pumps fuel in at high pressures to make for a cleaner burn, and the ECU runs the fuel mixture lean when not under load.

it has a second part which speeds up the inlet air flow just before the engine it is called a variable manifold flap and is a totlly new part to the audi engine it helps to get a good air/fuel mixture. as above it has a homegenous and stratified running mode to help aid the fuel burning!

There's a reasonable explanation on the Audi site

ASNn Is great, you nearly always get an answer and people are always willing to contribute.

thanks chaps

On average the FSI models are about 500 quid more than the non-FSI models (1.6 manual sport is 17,510 while the FSI version is 17,960). Is FSI worth the extra money because I would be interested to know???

FSI is supposed to increase power and decrease fuel consumption, so I guess if you are doing a lot of driving and cost of running the car is an issue, then it would probably work out cheaper to buy one over the duration of ownership. This is presuming that Audi have done their homework when it comes to reliability? :)

It's also gonna make 3rd party tuning more difficult. The quantities of fuel are extremely tightly monitored. This added to the way the fuel/air mix is layered rather than being a normal mix is gonna cause the tuners some interesting new challenges.