What induction kit have you got? 1.8T

audiboi101

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious as to what induction kits you are running on your A3 1.8T's

Is it better to go with panel filters, or the induction kits with the cone elements etc?

Pipercross cone down by the FMIC on the front bumper, gets lots of cold air and all the shiney ali pipes and the blue silicone hoses look nice too.

Pipercross cone down by the FMIC on the front bumper, gets lots of cold air and all the shiney ali pipes and the blue silicone hoses look nice too.

Those cheap ebay £40 CAI kits are truly horrific, nobody running serious power runs one of them. Think about all the water that thing sucks up, have you ever taken the filter off and looked at it?

Those cheap ebay £40 CAI kits are truly horrific, nobody running serious power runs one of them. Think about all the water that thing sucks up, have you ever taken the filter off and looked at it?

I have seen that kit on ebay (looks tempting for what it is) and yes at that price I would be cautious as to what gains (if anything) you would get.
For £40 you get all the pipework though!!:sm4:

I was thinking of a RAMAIR induction kit from Demon Tweeks???

I have seen that kit on ebay (looks tempting for what it is) and yes at that price I would be cautious as to what gains (if anything) you would get.
For £40 you get all the pipework though!!:sm4:

I was thinking of a RAMAIR induction kit from Demon Tweeks???

There is literally no point, a £45 Jetex air filter from Bill at badger 5 is all you need. Performance, sounds good and its cheap.

Looks like this when fitted -
216267_10150270669270130_709735129_9310841_6768665_n.jpg

Do you know if he does these for A3's as well? And is it one that needs to be cleaned (like a K&N) or is it a replacement filter jobby?

Do you know if he does these for A3's as well? And is it one that needs to be cleaned (like a K&N) or is it a replacement filter jobby?

That is on an A3, S3 engine bays look completely different.

If you give him a ring tomorrow he will tell you exactly what you need, they are just replacement filters but good quality. You can go over them with a hoover but TBH for £45 you might as well just replace it at each service. It should come with a jubilee clip so it'll go straight onto the MAF. You won't see much in terms of power gain over the standard air box though, I would suggest buying one of those cone filters then using your original air box later on but having a play with the inside of it to smooth it out. If you look in Tuffty's S3 thread you will see the way he's made an enclosed box so it looks stock but has a nice little free flowing cone filter inside it.

Here you go, this is Pauls setup -

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

Last edited:
This is mine, if it is good enough for japs running 600bhp it's good enough for me:arco: lol
im about ready for a replacment now though its abit scratched but ive had it years and its lasted well

DSCF1625.jpg

DSCF1627.jpg

I've got a big f*ck off Pipercross cone on mine at the minute. I also have the choice of a green cotton panel filter in the standard airbox if I like.

As I said mine is a Pipercross cone fitted to the cold intake kit, not the cheap cotton gause type filter on ebay, being made of oiled foam it's more resistant to water than the cotton ones, and gets nothing but the coolest possible air, unlike one up in the engine bay which no amount of shielding or air feeds could get.

Not sure about these, on the Supras it used to be argued that the stock airbox was better. A cone in the engine bay without a cold airbox feed will just draw hot air into the turbos, not that good for them to be honest...a simple heat shield won't stop it sucking up the high temps under the bonnet, just think about how hot it is when you open the bonnet after a long drive...

Sounds good, but you probably need to adapt or spend some decent money on a set-up to get the benefit without exposing high temps.

I'd like to find a panel filter that isn't oiled that works better flow then OEM, but not sure there is one, unless anyone knows?

The Impreza is the same, my RA only ran an IK due to having a front mount. It was well reported that the panel filter was good for around 400 brake and running an IK just lost you power due to pulling hot air in.

Is there any reason you guys are fitting Ik's over a good panel filter?

But are they not just a different version of the OE set up, a filter in a case with a cold air feed.

I got a k&n off ebay. S/hand but never used. £10 and made my own cold air feed to it from bumper vent from a bit of old pipe.

I have a cold air feed running off from behind the fans on the front rad directly to my K&N. Don't know how effective it is, but it'll do the job for now

Hey guys, what do I do with the vacuum pipe that's going into the bottom of the airbox if I want to put in an aftermarket filter on my S3?!

you buy a small breather filter to fit into the pipe mate

or do it the old school way and hack up a pair of your mrs's tights and cable tie it over the end of the pipe :)

I have a small K&N filter fitted over my breather pipe at the moment, I'd assume it comes as part of the kit.

I made gains of 3bhp and 7lbft just by smoothing my standard airbox like so:

1070-smoothed-airbox-bottom.jpg

1069-smoothed-airbox-top.jpg

What I plan to do in the next month is test a B5 TIP on the standard airbox and then with a jetex cone on Bills rollers to see what the real differences are.

i got one off them ebay filters that goes into the bumper aint they any good then should i put the filter back in the engine bay

Yes they work really well, but I have a Pipercross cone on the end of mine because its better at repelling water than the cotton type filters.