What holds on the S3 logo strip on the door sill?

prt57

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just had an oil change and MOT on my 2007 S3 this morning at the garage that supplied the car new to me. I then brought it back for a good wash as the roads were quite dirty and it was raining heavily. I washed it last weekend and it has been in the garage ever since.
On wiping over the S3 logo and brushed aluminium strip that is revealed when you open the door I discovered a mark in the black plastic and 2 little scratches in the brushed aluminium that were not there as I left the car at the garage. They are directly in line with the arc your foot takes as you get into the car. So whoever has worked on the car has left me a present. Before I drove away I checked the wheels and exterior body for any damage but the strips were wet and so no damage was apparent
I rang the garage to speak to service and there was nobody there but at least I logged the call. This is especially annoying as they know I am really paranoid about this sort of thing and they know the car is totally unmarked. Whilst it is not the end of the world, it should not happen.
How are the long black plastic and aluminium strips attached to the sill?

Peter

im not sure how theyre attached but a metal polish or t-cut may get them out, worth trying that first and saving some cash at least

They are attached with double sided tape, same stuff you use to stick your number plates on with...

im not sure how theyre attached but a metal polish or t-cut may get them out, worth trying that first and saving some cash at least

Hi, I don't intend paying for them, the garage did it so I will be pushing them to fix it. They will not polish out!

Peter

ahh right i wouldnt either one of my sills has a dent in it, so if you do get a new one would you mind posting the cost, granted mines an a3 but the price wont be all that different

How easy is it to get the old strip off?

Peter

Hair drier maybe, heat it up pry it up then keep moving along.

suppose leaving tar & glue remover to seep in may be worthwhile if you have it