1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What hardware is needed to change the instrument cluster?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Gustaf, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Gustaf

Gustaf New Member

[Sep 21, 2009]
    Hi.

Due to a completely broken MFD (display) and flickering lights on the instrument cluster i am planning to change it to a used but working one.

I know how to physically change the unit but what hardware is needed to get it going, I am talking about Immobilizer recode and mileage (km) correction.

Can VAG-COM change both the mileage and immobilizer of a used one? If not, what hardware is needed that works? The car is a 1999 Audi A3 1.8TsQ with an 8L0919880K cluster.

Kind regards // Gustaf
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 21, 2009]
    Welcome to the site.

You could ask audi to swap given they do this as done 3 times myself with them, twice on current car due to upgrades & tbh best option given they have all the access in one place, only takes 30 mins to do so not expensive, just need all your keys, doc & proof of address etc & passport of license as its a security precaution that audi specify dealers to follow now.

To do independently you'll need an skc reader for a start, early incarnations of vag commander will do given car age, so can read code from old cluster & from new cluster & then code all keys up etc, there's guy on here who has that equipment, cant remember who was, if remember will post up
  4. Gustaf

Gustaf New Member

[Sep 21, 2009]
  5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Sep 21, 2009]
    you cant by law change the mileage, thats why i havent been arsed to change mine, if you fit a second hand clock set then your stuck with the mileage or if audi fit a new set up then youll have 0 mileage.

Edit'd, sorry laptops playing up with the keys lol.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Gustaf

Gustaf New Member

[Sep 21, 2009]
    Sorry but i can't understand this sentence "ou cant buy law change the mileage".

Please explain, why should I not change the mileage to the correct level of the original cluster?

Regards // Gustaf