1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What grit is good grit?

Routledge Mar 7, 2013

1. Routledge

Routledge Wind Deflector Trend-setter

I've got an 8L pre facelift S3, but my headlights have become a bit minging, and I've seen people use a fine grit sandpaper to return them to their former glory.

The question is.. What do I use? Am I going to need to order multiple types? I seem to remember them being plastic rather than glass.. Is that the case for all pre facelift models?

Do I apply the hard work by hand or is it going to take forever?

2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

3. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

I'm sure the first time I read an article here about this procedure(and it wasn't the link posted above) where someone had cleaned the headlights he talked about polishing it out by hand. So I went through the whole process.......take my word, you need a machine polisher. I don't know what that original guy was on when he said he done it by hand.

I don't have a machine polisher ! You can see even with Tufty's writeup, he had to give it a number of passes with the machine!

4. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member Team Dolphin Grey Audi S3 quattro Audi A6

I did one by hand once, it takes ages and it's a f***king boring job. Get a machine polisher or drill attachment ...

5. Rice

Rice Active Member

I dont think it takes long at all, probably 20-30 minutes a headlight... Start with 800 grit, in a bucket of warm soapy water, alternate between going side to side and up and down. And work your way up, i went up to 3000 grit. Then used a bit of cutting compound.

6. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

the rubbing down with wet & dry from 800 to 3000 grade was a piece of p*ss, it's the final phase that's the killer....by hand and I'm not sure whether you'll get the results anywhere as near as having a machine . In the end I felt I should have left it well alone, it wasn't that bad, it somehow looks a bit worse now.
    ...Must invest in a machine polisher.

7. mrfaststu

mrfaststu Member

when i do the wifes focus as the headlights yellow, and the once when i done my s3 lights i use g3 rubbing compound and machine polisher and does a xlnt job

8. JudderMan

JudderMan Well-Known Member

Do you have a pic? Was going to give this a go in a few weeks without a machine but you've put doubts in my head.

9. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

10. Scullies

Scullies Well-Known Member

I just did mine today, used polishing compound and a buffing pad with a machine.

Before

2013-03-09 001.JPG

Applied 1000 grit compound first, then machine polished it at a medium speed and applied some pressure. Did this process twice.

2013-03-09 003.JPG

Than applied 2000 grit compound, polished it with machine at medium speed with some pressure. Then applied 2000 grit again and polished it at high speed with light pressure.

2013-03-09 005.JPG

It still a bit hazy, but I cant do much about that as the sand as scrathed the lens to deep. When the new lens arrive a will wrap them in 3M clear film to protect them from being sand blasted again