what extras are useful

front centre arm rest is always a good one & parking sensors.

Like most things it's subjective.

I had

Arm Rest / Buetooth
Rear Parking Sensors
Rear Blind
Solar Roof
DVD Sat Nav
Cruise Control
Dimming mirror - with coming home function
Auto wipers
Daytime running ligths
Multi-function steering wheel
Voice Activation

Hmm; that litttle list costs about £3K plus!..

I would say..
Armrest
Split rear seat (if not avant)
Leather seats
Heated front seats
Sunroof
Symphony upgrade
Possibly Cruise

I'm not into arm rests. I believe they make you a lazy unattentive driver. Keep both the hands on the wheel.

I'd go for reversing sensors, heated fronts and xenons.

You haven't told us saloon, avant, cab or the model so it's hard to know what you've already got.

Cruise & leather is all you need
Cruise is a must if you do a lot of motorway driving, helps keep your speed down.
Armrest for the lazy driver (and it gets in the way)
Rear parking sensors for the incompetant driver
Auto wipers, auto lights, dipping mirror - all gimmicks cause they've run out of useful gizmo's to add to a car

Saloon
I have ordered
Xenons(luv em so cool and beter thn H7 lamp)
Leather( keeps tidy better with kids)
metallic (cos plain colours bland)
cruise (keep steady through camera areas)
d.i.s. (looks kewl)
symphony (no poping in the boot to change discs)
same as previous car

[ QUOTE ]
Rear parking sensors for the incompetant driver

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think that but is impossible to judge the rear of the A4 so we go them anyway. IMO the incompetent drivers are the ones who then totally rely on the sensors and don't actually look where they're going.

I'd also say if you're going to have leather then seat heating makes it nicer in winter. Auto wipers worked well in our Bora but weren't available when we bought our B6.

Xenons are worthwhile especially since they're now bi-xenon

Our spec is

Heated Leather
Xenons
Symphony 2
Parking sensors
Blinds - very useful
Interior and exterior aluminium trim
Storage pack - drawers under the front seats are useful
Interior light pack
DIS - not worth it
Rear side airbags
ISOFIX
Split/fold rear seat - should be standard

Feel free to order all the extras you like, and pay a ridiculous fortune for them.

Then, when the car's three years old, I'll buy the car and get them all for free.

Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work!

[ QUOTE ]
Feel free to order all the extras you like, and pay a ridiculous fortune for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that I get the car I want. We're planning on keeping the car for a long time so they're worth it IMO

After 41k in 18 months.. (B6 not B7 but hey)

I really like the auto-dimming mirror - but then I do lots of motorway miles at night..

I also really like the automatic headlights - would choose that again

I like the Symphony, partly for the in-dash changer, partly because I prefer the look of the console without the cubby hole (though a mate has the opposite view)

Cruise, unconvinced - had it on previous cars, on the lots of motorway miles theory - but british motorways dont really make for prolonged periods at a consistent speed, and I dont miss it at all on this car

Parking sensors -aargh! a pet hate, when I get in colleagues cars with them, would be offputting to me unless i could turn them off - though I accept some like them

I like my armrest, though I take ScoTTy's point - I tuck it out of the way sometimes, have it down soemtimes, use it for non-rattly storage a lot - I would keep it.

Would possibly choose the DIS - my 'sport' doesnt have it, and the ONE feature I would use it for is the permanently set upper speed alarm - the non-dis cars you have to set this each journey if you want it, not much use. With the DIS, I would leave this set at (ahem) 90, just in case.. not that I regularly catch myself over that at all... ;-)

Think the standard lights are Cr@p, so Xenons would be a nice feature - though Im very happy with my lights now Ive fitted silver star bulbs (and saved a packet compared to Xenons!)

I WOULD have the built-in bluetooth - my aftermarket car kit works well, but I think it spoils the look of the dash somewhat, and lets face it you spend a lot of time sat in front of that dash..

Split fold rear seat - YES YES YES YES YES YES YES totally agree with macduff this should be standard, and is a massive frustration not having it on my saloon..

Interior light pack - yes, for cool factor

Electric rear windows! Cant believe this isnt standard on what is an upmarket car - think winders look so naff now, and very happy to have electric all round on mine!