what does this symbol mean?

Audiman99

Reaction score
hey here is a pic of the symbol that flashed up on my dash for a few days, its gone now but I would like to know what it is as its not in the manual.

DSC00154.jpg

Also, sometimes when I first start my car in the morning when its cold, its seems to run really lumpy and I can hear like a pump or something trying to work but it sounds like its struggling, like something’s blocked, and when I drive even when its warmed up it will drive like its restricted to 90bhp. Maybe im using the wrong oil? or a fuel pump blockage. Then once I leave work and start it up again the cars fine.???

Could it be the maf, I did buy a supposedly new one from eBay but it came bubble wrapped not in box so it could have been second hand or faulty. Even with it unplugged it drives the same btw.

Thanks dudes!

Engine management light, usually caused by sensor, lamda or MAF failure.. usually emission related.

you'll need someone with VAG-COM to get you an error code buddy, and tell you what is gubbed..

ok im thinking the maf, probably get a new one from audi. I do have vagcom but last time it was scanned it never said anything about the maf.

jonesy , where abouts in kent are you ?

I have vag com if you need a scan

hi m8 im near dartford i have a vagcom, just cant be ***** to go out and scan as its too dark/cold and my laptops slow and crap. Will probably scan at the weekend.

thanks anyway

I thought it was P for "Prince"...?

The engine management light could mean anything. Could be serious, or just a faulty sensor. Best get it checked asap.

wheres the cheapest place to get a new maf, are the ones on ebay anygood, theres always a seller selling them for about 65 quid including p&p, i paid about 40 quid on ebay for a new one, but audi want like 90 quid i think i read. I want one quickly so may just go to audi, but if the ebay ones are fine i may get that and wait a few days.

this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MAF-air-f...ryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

btw lights been off for about a week, im gonna scan 2moro on my day off, im thinking loose sensor somewhere, we will see ay.

Jonesy said:
wheres the cheapest place to get a new maf, are the ones on ebay anygood, theres always a seller selling them for about 65 quid including p&p, i paid about 40 quid on ebay for a new one, but audi want like 90 quid i think i read. I want one quickly so may just go to audi, but if the ebay ones are fine i may get that and wait a few days.

this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MAF-air-f...ryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

btw lights been off for about a week, im gonna scan 2moro on my day off, im thinking loose sensor somewhere, we will see ay.
you could try Euro car parts or Germa & swedish i wouldnt advise ebay

I would get the car on Vag com before you buy anythin, i wouldnt expect a maf to throw up the engine management light

Jonesy said:

Audi do an exchange program. You give them your old one and they give you a reconditioned/new one and pay up bout £30 IIRC. You can change it in the car park in about 15mins, or go back within a certain period.

the audi exchange program is a knock! Audi in bexleyheath wanted £78.50 plus vat and my maf in exchange for a reconditioned one, no way am i paying that! Do different dealers charge different prices?

Thats the standard price mate, if you're lucky you'll get it a fiver cheaper.

Well just spoke to vw in dartford and they wanted £93.50 plus vat for the exchange, or £180 plus vat for a new one. Looks like i may be tempted with the ebay ones, or maybe vagparts.com, are they based in the uk, as when i bought my aero wipers they took like a week to turn up?

Ebay is worse than useless mate, you'll be lucky to get one that works, and luckier if its the right one for you'r car - phone gsf or eurocarparts i think i paid £75 inc vat and exchange for mine.

If it was the MAF you'd probably know about it. There'd be more than a little light letting you know it'd gone. The performance of the car would be affected to. Like Rodenal says, scan first buy later.

Hi guys! I´ve the same problem with this yellow light.

Jonesy, don´t worry about it. The yellow light is on in my car since 1 year ago. I don´t know the problem, nobody in Spain know what is exactly (cause it can be a lot of differents things related whit the injection), in Audi they tell me one story, in Bosch Car Service one another, they turn off my the light with vag com, but days after it comes again.

Sinceriously, my car goes in the same way than before, it is fantanstic, the engine is fine, everything is right, but the light goes on. Inclusive the mecanics have change me a couple of sensors, but nothing... the lights is there... Now, for me it´s indiferent, I drive the car in the same way than ever, whit the light, I don´t worry.

But, anyways, I´m wishing somebody knows how to manage to turn off this yellow light forever.

Regards!

S3_Spain said:
Hi guys! I´ve the same problem with this yellow light.

Jonesy, don´t worry about it. The yellow light is on in my car since 1 year ago. I don´t know the problem, nobody in Spain know what is exactly (cause it can be a lot of differents things related whit the injection), in Audi they tell me one story, in Bosch Car Service one another, they turn off my the light with vag com, but days after it comes again.

Sinceriously, my car goes in the same way than before, it is fantanstic, the engine is fine, everything is right, but the light goes on. Inclusive the mecanics have change me a couple of sensors, but nothing... the lights is there... Now, for me it´s indiferent, I drive the car in the same way than ever, whit the light, I don´t worry.

But, anyways, I´m wishing somebody knows how to manage to turn off this yellow light forever.

Regards!

Careful there. That light can come on for a multitude of reasosns. It might be on in your car due to emmisions, a faulty sensor, early stages of a coilpack failure, etc.

It's not the kind of thing that comes on for no reason - it means something is wrong.

Yes ChriS3, I agree with you, but if nobody is able to know what is wrong... at the begining I was very worried whit the light, during last year I´ve been asking to Audi, to BCS, and more mecanics, they´ve change me a lot of thing, for example the lambda, differents sensors, and other parts that I don´t know their name in english. My personal conclusion has been that I don´t go to be worried. When it wants to break, that breaks. And when that happend that will be the momment of say bye bye to the S3, and change it.

I´ve to say that I´m very happy with the car, but I don´t understand how nobody is sure about what is the problem exact of the yellow light (in my car, because I know that it can be cause of differents problems).

Regards!