1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this dash light mean?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mary_q, Nov 24, 2010.

1. mary_q

mary_q Member

I've never had any problems with my 1999 A3 except for a screaching noise sometimes on start up which I was told it normal and a common things with A3's of this age.

However, lately sometimes when I try and turn the ignition on the car doesn't start first time. It usually starts after 2nd attempt.

But... today it wouldn't start for 4-5 times (10 minutes). Eventually it did start and stayed running fine no issues, however I noticed a dash light on which showed a car outline with a key image on the bottom line of it.

Does anybody know what this light meant? I love my car and really wanna sort this problem, anyone got any ideas? I had a new high quality battery only a few months back and last service was only 5 months ago, im baffled.

Any help much appreciated.:think:
  2. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

Electronic Immobilser - everything should be fine if the car started - if the light flashs continuosly then the vehicle can not be driven (immobilized)

It should show up then dissappear - this confirms the car has accepted the key you have used
  3. CHRIS555

Your key may be faulty.....

Hope this helps mate
  4. mary_q

mary_q Member

Thanks for the reply Chris.

When I was driving after it started the light was still flashing for the whole journey home (about 10 mins). I was too scared to stop the car before I got back incase it wouldn't start, but when I got back I turned it off, left it off a few mins and it started first time, turned it off again left it 5 mins, started first time also. Very weird?
  5. CHRIS555

6. mary_q

mary_q Member

Ah that sounds exactly like my problem!

Would I have to remove the casing around the ignition and take the ignition barrel out? Or should I squirt some WD40 on the key and insert it that way?
  7. CHRIS555

I would squirt a little in through the straw, then place the key in the lock to help move the wd40 around a little, remove the key then squirt just a little more in. I don't think you need to remove any casing but do have a bit of cotton to soak up any overspil -it may be worth putting a bit of newspaper on the floor beneath the lock as this stuff can be slippy if it gets on the matts or carpet.
  8. mary_q

mary_q Member

Thanks for the guidance Chris. I've just given it a go and it did start first time so fingers crossed that's done the trick.

I'll report back in a few weeks to let you know how I fair!

Thanks Again! :)
  9. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy Member

I found on my 96 A3 that moving the steering column up and down then locking it back in place would resolve the issue for about 4-5 months... not a permanent solution but should you find yourself in trouble might be worth a go!
  10. Duktor

Duktor Member

also good idea to put some wd40 in your door and boot lock at the same time I did mine yesterday and they were very stiff