What does a nubie to the S3's need to know?

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
Greetings All!

Changed from the last of 3 SAAB Turbos to an S3 some 4 weeks ago (note to SAAB, that's what happens when you don't make hatchbacks any longer!) having fallen for the all-round dropdead gorguesness of the S3! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I'm totally taken by everything about her and now I want more! So what's the things to do/avoid with mods etc, and what are there usual suspects for things going wrong?

Any tips/advice or a simple 'hello' would be greatly appriciated (and I'm sorry for asking all the nerdy questions I will ask rather than searching all the old posts for answer)!

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Roger

welcome mate, where abouts are you located?
hhm i have done chip ,exhaust, n so forth
can't complain really.. standard a bit too slow

Go easy on the clutch, expecially if you get it chipped, too many hard starts off the lights and you could be looking at a new clutch by 17000miles.

Coil packs are also renound for failing in the 1.8T engines, although mine was recalled for this a while back so your dealer will do this for free if it hasn't already been done.

You might get some leveling problems with the Xenon head lights as well but other then that there pretty much problem free. Enjoy....

Hi Roger, and welcome to AS.net! I love the user name BTW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The first mod to go for is getting a remap to increase you power from 225bhp to about 265bhp and your torque up to about 280 lbs/ft. The before and after difference is unbelievable!

I don't think I could go back to driving a standard S3, which is why I think the AmD One Click and Revo SPS1/2/3 is pointless because once you have the extra power, you will NEVER want to change it back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the idea of the one click device, and that is what I want to get.

Could be useful if you decide to drive a long way (motorway driving that is) and want to keep the fuel economy down, so you put it to standard..........if there is much difference in fuel economy that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Each to their own I guess, but I prefer smiles per gallon rather than miles per gallon!

I Think the MPG's will be better in "Chipped" Mode. I'am also in the middle of purchasing the one-click but the main reason is down to price (Excellent GB discount - Thanks Wak)

I can't ever see me returning it to standard as my car is out of warranty. It would be usefull when you come to sell it though as I think people generally like to buy "standard" cars as the chipped ones give the impression that its been driven hard. Although as soon as the new owner gets the car, what is the first thing they do???

It's just nice to have another gadget when the price is this good!

Rich.

Dicky - I absolutely totaly agree!

The chip is what puts me off buying a car! Although I'm researching it well. Arranging inspection and all that, yeah - ideally I'd like a standard car (and I really don't think I'd chip it - speed don't bother me - HONEST (I hear some of you laffin, but it's true) I just want something that drives well, it's realiable and looks the mutts nutts - audi a3 all the way! Just this one looks better than the standard ones and it happens to have the chip. I may even dechip it - very much doubt it, but we'll see, depends out how the mpg are working out :S

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
Dicky - I absolutely totaly agree!

The chip is what puts me off buying a car! Although I'm researching it well. Arranging inspection and all that, yeah - ideally I'd like a standard car (and I really don't think I'd chip it - speed don't bother me - HONEST (I hear some of you laffin, but it's true) I just want something that drives well, it's realiable and looks the mutts nutts - audi a3 all the way! Just this one looks better than the standard ones and it happens to have the chip. I may even dechip it - very much doubt it, but we'll see, depends out how the mpg are working out :S

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are so worried about MPG - why don't you buy a diesel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Diesel A3s look the same as a petrol A3... you just have to remember to go to take the black pump rather than the green pump when you run out of juice!