What Do You Guys Think Of This.....

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Scanned for fault codes today after a hiccup at dinner time, and got the 17664 engine coolant temp sensor G62, open or short to plus... Anyway, whilst I was there, I checked a few measuring blocks..

1st was the syncro angle, normally sits at 0.0cf, but fluctuates between 0.0, 0.6, & 1.1cf, surely this should be fairly stable, not jumping around, everything seems tight and ok.
Its had the shakey idle thing since I've had it, maybe a bit more now, bought it at 60k, its now on 112k.

There was a fair difference between cylinders on the idle stabilization figures, didn't write them down but think 1 and 4 were zero, 2 and 3 were + / - 1.something...
The work run is only 4 miles so probably doesn't help, I'll put a good dollop of injector cleaner in and see how it goes, seems to run ok, still pulls like hell..

Anyway, what about the syncro angle, is this normal..
Also, is the G62 temp sensor the one on the rear of the head, under the tandem pump??

Last edited:
Were you checking it when the engine was warmed up and at 90c? .........and when was the cambelt/tensioners changed?

I set my syncro angle up as it was out after my recent cambelt change slightly at -1.1 due to old belt stretch and it now sits at 0.6 but does sometimes bounce back to 0.0 as this was the closest to 0 I could set it.

Ref injectors mine were -0.49 0.49 -0.49 -1.3 which are within tolerances...........but always use Comma Diesel Injector cleaner once a year before MOT and it works a treat.

Injectors are stable now all at -0.49 so the second and last one must have been a little clogged.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was at 90 deg to be honest, and the belt & tensioners were changed about 20k ago, 3 years..

Is the Comma cleaner an add to the fuel cleaner, I only ever occasionally use Millers EcoMax, more of an additive than a cleaner..

The engine should be at normal 90c temperature when checking the sycnro angle.

The Comma stuff is the best I have found and I simply add it to half a tank of fuel for a more concentrated dose rather than a full tank. This is the stuff.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/comma-diesel-magic-400ml

and the cambelt with pump should be changed every 40k or 4 years which ever comes sooner................from what I was told at VW HQ when I worked there. Just had mine done at the four year mark and 62k miles........last one was 2010 and 40k miles

Last edited:
Cheers Mike,

I'll check it again when its been out, ordered the temp sensor today so I'll get that all sorted, then re-check at 90 deg..

Cheers..

Change the sensor when the car is bone cold and you may need some G13 coolant to top up depending on how quick you are to change the sensor.

Yeh got the coolant on the way as well, sensors been intermittent for a while I think, the fan has been running more than usual, hardly ever notice it normally.
I'll dump some of the coolant out before I change it, then top up with fresh.. just in case the thumbs aren't quick enough..

The synchro angle is fine mate, don't worry about that.
For the rough idle, try changing heater plugs.

I've changed my cts too, but still needs a thermostat, so il be popping tps and getting some g13 and a stat.

Fair enough..

Glow plugs were changed last year, the shake is only when the engine is hot, but hasn't been no where near as bad since the cts was changed.
On VCDS the maf value is down slightly on what is expected too. So its possible these two probably caused the slight shake..

Well mate if all that has been done
Try the engine mount. Mine a tiny shake when hot, and it shows up an engine mount error