What could be wrong with my car? MPG related.

Fahim

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got a 05 plate Audi A4 Avant, 2.0 TDI 140 bhp remapped to 195bhp by AMD (lakeside)

I yesterday, took the car for a 120 mile trip to basildon and stanstead, with very little town driving. The entire journey on the A406, A13 and M11 i was doing 55/60 mph, at one point doing 100 for LESS than ONE minute and another point doing 50mph for a few minutes behind a restricted lorry.

I brimmed the tank before hand and after and calculated 42mpg. this is using BP ULTIMATE Diesel.

Somethings definately up! I should be getting 55+ at those speeds at the least.

What could i do to improve my mpg? Service is due in 8,000 miles. It had a flat panel air filter put on during the remap and its ridden on 18'' inch wheels.

Tyre pressure is good. I was using the air con slightly but at 22 degrees so wasnt really working it hard.

I go very easy with the throttle, never over 1/3 and always change up at 2,000 rpm.

any tips or suggestions as to what is zapping my fuel would be great?!

thanks in advance,

Fahim.

Also, slightly off topic, but anyone with Vag Com around East London? (Ilford/Wanstead/Walthamstow etc)

That seems a big increase in power for the 140, I've only ever looked at the 170 remap figures right enough (currently running a bluefin on a 170ps, adds approx 35/40)

Do you know anyone else with a similar map ? to compare fuel consumption.

Hi, I'm afraid i don't actually know anyone else with a AMD remap. It is quite a high jump from 140bhp but I'm sure everyone else gets around the same bhp increase from
the 140!

Thanks for the reply!

Why do you think it should be doing 55+ mpg??? That's a bit optimistic I think. I used to run a 130 golf and I was getting 45-50 mpg on a similar run, the audi is a much heavier car. It also sounds like you were doing a lot of accelerating aswell.
I only get around 37 mpg on a run in my 3.0tdi and we have similar power.
To get the power gains you have, (which do sound alot) it's going to be thirsty.

i have the angel remap from my 140 TDI and i am at around 180BHP
i get 55 - 60 on the motorway at speeds of 60
65+ around town
those increases on your car from the 140 std map sound a bit high, or if they are correct that explains your fuel issues, a good remap is meant to give more MPG if driven correctly/gently with the power if driven hard.
As you got an AMD remap and they are now in administration i dont know what recorse you have, a consortium from big boys toys are looking into buying them out i believe - call them and have a chat
has it been on rollers ? was it a custom remap done for your car or just a std upload.
mine was custom mapped to my car, so maybe if your map was not a 'live map' and just a std off the shelf one, you may well find your car does not like it

195 does sound a bit high for a 140. When was the last time the car was serviced? When was the remap done? Is there a lot of black smoke when accelerating? What was it like before the remap? It might just need a service, or you might need the remap tweaked. How is the clutch holding up at 195?

well my 55 cab 2lt tdi 140 is crap i only get to £30 at best 200 miles so was thinking of getting a remap

Oooo, 195bhp from a 140. I would think that's seriously pushing it and you must be heading for all sorts of engine problems. My stock 140 tends to do between 45-50 and I drive reasonably hard and it does a lot of intown trips. Motorway-wise I easily get over 50mpg doing around 75. Push harder and the mpg drops away sharply.

I just checked when the last time the service
was done and that was at 124,000 miles. 12,000 miles later I think it's due so will get that done and report back on any mpg increases. I thought 195 was sorta normal. The car pushed 145bhp on the rollers and then remapped. I don't know whether it was a live map or a standard map. Would they be able to decrease the bhp a little for free?

The clutch is fine, no problems whatsoever (touching wood). The car doesent
smoke at all, albeit very slightly when accelerating hard but
I can't see it in my mirrors. Only people in cars behind can see it slightly.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it. I will also talk to AMD to see what they can do.

miles are high ish so engine wont be as great as it could be

You can't really compare it in money mate, cus I use v-power diesel so it's less litres for the same money.
There was a previous thread if you have a look comparing mpg. It's difficult to judge though if you have been remapped, driving style and conditions etc.
A good example is a guy on here claiming to get 70ish mpg from a remapped (275 bhp) 3.0tdi!!! I struggle to get anywhere near 40 in mine that's not mapped.

me to do 50miles per day on m way only at about 2 thousand revs and not mapped 140 tdi getting about 200 miles to £30

A little update.

Once i had serviced the car, i did many hundreds of motorway miles and at 60-65 mph all the way, very gentle on the hills doing around 55mph i managed to reach an average of 50-55mpg in a A4 2.0 Avant!

not bad for a days work, by the way it was a FULL SERVICE, including fuel filter and what not. using fully synthetic oil castrol something 5w 30 i think!

:) thanks for all your previous replies. I'm happy with the car much more!