1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What colour should the coolant be?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Hightower, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Hightower

Hightower Member

Been to look at a 51 plate 2.5tdi SE today and all looked good but when i checked the coolant header tank the coolant resembled a milky tea colour and on rubbing it between my fingers it seemed a little greasy, the arrogant unhelpful bloke at the dealership reckoned there was nothing wrong with it and that was the antifreeze, trouble is i dont know what colour the Audi coolant/antifreeze is as i'm used to looking at the pink G12 in VW's.

Was he correct and milky Tea is the correct colour or was i right to walk away?

TIA
  2. pjmspeedy

pjmspeedy Dude, what's mine say ?

I'd walk away myself. The milkyness is caused by oil mixing with the water so at a guess it has had or starting to develop a head gasket failure.
  3. Kunit

Kunit Member

Should be red, no other colours involved.
  4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo 6+1 Gears

Should be red if you're using G12 or pink for G12+
  5. Hightower

Hightower Member

Thanks for your replies guys, thought i was right, shame as was a nice looking motor and first to to come up that is less than 100 miles from home.
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Your gut feeling saved you. It should be pink as per G12 Plus, Its possible that a good flush would fix it as it could be mixed coolant. Ie non G12 and G12 from the previous owner