what colour black?

vinceemmery

Reaction score
hi i have a 54 plate a3 s-line and was looking to do the single grill +bumper conversion, i have the metallic/pearlescent black colour paintwork can anyone tell me what audi call this colour ?,also has anyone with a new 2005 onwards a3 have this colour or is it just the matt black colour they produced many thanks

Don't think Audi has changed its pearlesent black for quite a few years now. My 04 A4 S-Line was Phantom Black. My 05 TT and 06 Sportback were also both Phantom Black. It should be in your handbook what colour it is.

what part of the handbook i looked on the service book and it dont really say it has a paint code bkd im sure ive seen something somewhere about ebony black? is this a audi colour?

Yes Ebony black was or still is an Audi Black. Should be on the inside page of either the service book or handbook. Its the label with the chasis number/engine size etc etc. If you phone Audi dealership with the code to confirm

There is a label in the boot on the right hand side under the carpet in the spare wheel holder, this gives the paint colour it will say something like lacquer code:

Yes Ebony black was or still is an Audi Black. Should be on the inside page of either the service book or handbook. Its the label with the chasis number/engine size etc etc. If you phone Audi dealership with the code to confirm

05 and earlier A3/A4 etc were Ebony Black metallic. Phantom Black didn't appear until around 55 reg. I don't think your 04 can have been Phantom. Our departed A3 T Q reg in Mar 05 was Ebony Black. The Optic Grill options are reported to be Phantom so would probably look naff naff on an Ebony car!

05 and earlier A3/A4 etc were Ebony Black metallic. Phantom Black didn't appear until around 55 reg. I don't think your 04 can have been Phantom. Our departed A3 T Q reg in Mar 05 was Ebony Black. The Optic Grill options are reported to be Phantom so would probably look naff naff on an Ebony car!

Ah you might be right. Haven't kept my last cars long enough to be a paint colour guru. My A4 was probably ebony right enough but the TT and sportback were phantom black.:salute:

Phantom black was added as an option when the single frame grill was released - I currently own an '05 plate A3 TDI S-line quattro in phantom black.