1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what colour black?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by vinceemmery, Mar 14, 2008.

1. vinceemmery

vinceemmery Member

[Mar 14, 2008]
    hi i have a 54 plate a3 s-line and was looking to do the single grill +bumper conversion, i have the metallic/pearlescent black colour paintwork can anyone tell me what audi call this colour ?,also has anyone with a new 2005 onwards a3 have this colour or is it just the matt black colour they produced many thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Mar 14, 2008]
    Don't think Audi has changed its pearlesent black for quite a few years now. My 04 A4 S-Line was Phantom Black. My 05 TT and 06 Sportback were also both Phantom Black. It should be in your handbook what colour it is.
  4. vinceemmery

vinceemmery Member

[Mar 14, 2008]
    what part of the handbook i looked on the service book and it dont really say it has a paint code bkd im sure ive seen something somewhere about ebony black? is this a audi colour?
  5. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Mar 14, 2008]
    Yes Ebony black was or still is an Audi Black. Should be on the inside page of either the service book or handbook. Its the label with the chasis number/engine size etc etc. If you phone Audi dealership with the code to confirm
  6. mattandrew

mattandrew Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 14, 2008]
    There is a label in the boot on the right hand side under the carpet in the spare wheel holder, this gives the paint colour it will say something like lacquer code:
  7. Sussex Lad

Sussex Lad Member

[Mar 15, 2008]

05 and earlier A3/A4 etc were Ebony Black metallic. Phantom Black didn't appear until around 55 reg. I don't think your 04 can have been Phantom. Our departed A3 T Q reg in Mar 05 was Ebony Black. The Optic Grill options are reported to be Phantom so would probably look naff naff on an Ebony car!
  8. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Mar 15, 2008]

Ah you might be right. Haven't kept my last cars long enough to be a paint colour guru. My A4 was probably ebony right enough but the TT and sportback were phantom black.:salute:
  9. o_rawlinson

o_rawlinson New Member

[Mar 15, 2008]
    Phantom black was added as an option when the single frame grill was released - I currently own an '05 plate A3 TDI S-line quattro in phantom black.