1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What car battery?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Speedo, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Speedo

Speedo Member

[Aug 29, 2005]
    Im in a need of a new battery for my A3 1.8t any recommendations? My preference is a Bosch (60+ amps) - is that any good?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. imported_Wicked666

imported_Wicked666 Guest

[Aug 29, 2005]
    any new battery would be fine imo as long as it fits the car and is the same voltage as the OEM one.

I've just bought an Optima Yellow Top as i've got an ICE install and i'm having dimming lights at the moment.
  4. Speedo

Speedo Member

[Aug 29, 2005]
    Wicked666 - how much ICE have you got? Ive got ICE in mine and i never had dimming lights with the OEM battery. I think i need a 60amp + battery
  5. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[Aug 29, 2005]
    Raj, get your earth sorted mate, earth closer to the amps - thats the only thing we have different (although i have 0 guage going from battery to boot but that shouldnt make any diff)

speedo, fit the biggest battery you can afford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

as soon as i upgraded my system i ditched the OEM battery and got myself a redflash 1200, i now have a yellow top which i have borrowed for the time being

when i have to give that back i'll be fitting the biggest that will physically fit, which may be one of the yellow tops with the extra cell on it

have either of guys uprated the alt to battery? i cant see a clear path at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    the battery to chassis is very easy to do though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  6. Speedo

Speedo Member

[Aug 29, 2005]
    Dean_T - where can i get hold of the yellow top battery? any dealers in the london area?
  7. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[Aug 29, 2005]
    only place i know of around london is;

http://www.sound-offs.co.uk/

they used to, not 100% sure they still carry them, dont know anywhere more central though sorry
  8. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

[Aug 30, 2005]
    if u'r headlights are dimming - perhaps you should consider a stiffening cap?

sort the earth as mentioned & then if it still happens think about a battery upgrade & capacitor.
  9. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[Aug 30, 2005]
    nope caps are rubbish, pure marketing BS

uprating the big three and fitting a better battery is much better
  10. ultramodz

ultramodz 06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

[Aug 30, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    nope caps are rubbish, pure marketing BS

uprating the big three and fitting a better battery is much better

[/ QUOTE ]

i've not used a cap - i find my lights only dim slightly when my amp is on full with the pair of 12"s trying to blow out the rear window.

i think i ran 1 guage power cable - poss 2 guage - with good clean terminal connections etc.