1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can replace my Concert (Tape) HU in S3

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by h3msy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. h3msy

h3msy Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Ok, as my post further down states I'm having problems with my CD changer in the boot. I have a Concert HU with a tape player.
    The system is non-Bose, my car is pre-facelift S3.

I don't like the CD changer in the boot anyway, i much prefer to have a stereo which takes CD's, even if it is just one at a time. So my question is, whats the best way to go here???

Q1) Are Concert HU's available with single CD's. If so are they the same physical size to fit in my fascia?

Q2) Are Concert II's double Din?

Q3) Anyone selling a Concert HU with CD.

Q4) Would you suggest going for a different HU altogether. but then spacers come into the equation....

Thanks guys for any info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 15, 2014]

3. Masterm8fo

Masterm8fo Warmonger

[Apr 12, 2005]
    newer concerts had CD (Concert 2/Symphony ?) they are about 150-200 quid on ebay
    fits straight in app.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...me=STRK:MEBI:IT

It is single DIN (Symphony 2 is double din i believe which wud mean moving A/C unit - not worth the hassle)

dunno about aftermarket spacers etc. but heard on forum the Leon one fits best - i personally prefer to stay OEM
    have now got Icelink for ipod which is great in my opinion - better than CD HU and only 115quid if u already have ipod
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Yeah Concert2 should be a straight swap (as long as you have the radio code), but have heard HU's from different Audi models are slightly different widths i.e. Concert2 from a TT won't necessarily fit your S3.
    If you are happy with the abysmal quality of your current setup then I would go with a Concert2. If not , then aftermarket is highly recommended but as you say there are a whole bunch of issues surrounding this upgrade, fascia adapters, wiring adapters, antenna amp, interference problems, popping when you change track on a CD, fronts too loud for rears etc etc, so really if you go aftermarket then you need to consider upgrading speakers at the same time and bypass as much of the Audi **** as possible.
    Alternatively go for Concert2 and add a sub, this provides a huge improvement to the standard system, even sticking with the stock front speakers, as you can dramatically reduce the bass going to the cabin speakers which makes them sound a whole lot better.