1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can be done with a little elbow grease....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OutLore, Apr 21, 2005.

1. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

Mate of mine calls me last sat and says "come up the yard I need you to look at something". Get up there, he has a MkII Golf with the worst oxidised paint I have ever seen. He got the car as a "take it away and scrap it for me" thing - it hadn't started for 18months and the body was as flat as a pancake. 10 minutes after unloading it, 1/2 gallon of fresh juice and it fires up, runs as sweet as a nut. So, he asks "Can you do anything with the paint?"......
    Before 1
    Before 2
    Before 3
    Before 4

So, I have a quick look round, can't find the mop, so start work by hand. An afternoon later:
    After 1
    After 2
    After 3
    After 4

It's still not perfect - some of the panels need a going over with the mop (when I can find it) but just goes to show........
  2. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That is seriously impressive! What were you using?
  3. DaveACQ20v

DaveACQ20v Member

nice work OutLore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  4. nervus

nervus Active Member

Makes it all worth while dont it! Red is bloody murder for oxidising though!
  5. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

Wow thats some turn around...nice one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif
  6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    That is seriously impressive! What were you using?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, nothing fancy - I didn't want to "waste" the good stuff on something that might not improve that much.....

I didn't have any of my gear with me, so I searched the lockup and found some of that nasty red coloured polish, some G3 rubbing compound, and some machine polish which was probably off as it had separated, but mixed it up and it was ok.

Bonnet, roof, NS front wing and all the door centre swages need doing with the mop (this weekend probably) then a quick coat of wax to stop it coming through so quick, then out it for whatever we can get for it.

The interior is absolutely spotless though - and it has done 90k - FSH, 2 owners.... not a bad car for a runaround.
  7. imported_Rooney

imported_Rooney Guest

Quick question as i dont have a clue here but, what is the "MOP"? or am i just being stupid?
  8. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

I prefered it before..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif
  9. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    Quick question as i dont have a clue here but, what is the "MOP"? or am i just being stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  10. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

Seriously - it's an electric or air powered polishing tool, a bit like an orbital sander with a sponge or cloth soft head. The head rotates and "orbits" IE it rotates on two planes, therefore lowering the chances of getting swirl scratches in the paint, something like this:

[​IMG]
  11. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mint - PMSL - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

A very nice job and what a difference - well done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  12. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[ QUOTE ]
    I prefered it before..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that why you are such a red car lover then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  13. 28v6

28v6 Guest

Hey...Man!! It's red... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (In the best jamaican accent he can muster...)
  14. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey...Man!! It's red... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (In the best jamaican accent he can muster...)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, not very good, then
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  15. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

Was that in the same accent JDP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif
  16. 28v6

28v6 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, not very good, then
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Arf! Arf! Yeah...your right again he..he! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  17. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

Well impressed mate done a good job,
    hope the prevous owner doesnt see it now they will be soooooooooooooooooo gutted !
  18. hopper

hopper Member

red is hard work, i had 2 corsa sri's in red, 1 of um didnt look quite as bad as that but a lot of hard work they do come up nice.

i wouldnt have another red car thopugh too much hard work