What Bluetooth mic

No that's not the correct mic, use the 8L one as long as your loom is 2 pin oem connector.

Balls thought that would be the case. oh well have to try and find or pay Audi

Can't say I'm very impressed with the oem mic (factory fitted) in my cab, its nowhere near as clear as an old Parrot kit in my van and I suspect its because the mic is behind the centre light console and not exposed. Can it be exposed, do you think it would help?

Never had an issue with an oem mic, clear as a bell for all my installs.

Your not the only person who has complained about the mic in the cab not being very good, the part number for the cab mic is 8J2035711E think they are around £45 from Audi. Never had a problem with the saloon or avant mic then then again it is a different body & microphone.

You could fit the rectangular mic, instead of the round type, just needs modifying housing to push into place, works perfectly well.

When you say rectangular mic Nigel do you have a specific part in mind, is it one out of the saloon/avant or something else?

Anyone know the difference between the 8L1 and the 8L2?

Mine is the 8L2 and the sound quality isn't great. Seems to pick up a lot of road noise.

Cheers for that, I found one on ebay for £25 delivered from Spain so I've ordered one to see if it makes any difference.
Any good? has it arrived fitted? still not got round to getting mine

Finally had a chance to look at fitting the new mic yesterday but the connector is different, not a biggy can always cut and solder the cables but it also looks like there are two mics fitted as standard? Can anyone confirm and if so, am I going to see any benefit only changing the one or should I order another one and change both?

If you have Bose there are two mics - one for the Bose AudioPilot system and a separate one for the hands free phone.

If you have Bose there are two mics - one for the Bose AudioPilot system and a separate one for the hands free phone.

Thanks Dave, yes I do have Bose, hadn't heard of the AudioPilot system or know what it does? I take it the bluetooth mic is the one nearest the driver then?

Thanks Dave, yes I do have Bose, hadn't heard of the AudioPilot system or know what it does?
AudioPilot is the replacement for GALA. It measures the noise levels and frequencies in the cabin and adjusts the volume and frequency response to compensate for the background noise. Over noisy road surfaces, where GALA does nothing, AudioPilot keeps the audio source audible.
I take it the bluetooth mic is the one nearest the driver then?
The BT mic is the one nearest the driver in a LHD car, i.e the passenger side on a UK car.

Cheers for the AudioPilot explanation Dave

The BT mic is the one nearest the driver in a LHD car, i.e the passenger side on a UK car.

Good job I asked as I'd have guessed they would have changed it in a RHD. Perhaps that is part of the issue in a noisy cabriolet. Do you think it would be worth swopping them over?

Good job I asked as I'd have guessed they would have changed it in a RHD. Perhaps that is part of the issue in a noisy cabriolet. Do you think it would be worth swopping them over?

The mics are different sizes IIRC so you can't just swap them over.

Still not fitted the mic but have been looking further into why this may have suddenly have become an issue in my cab.

The bluetooth used to be ok, not fantastic but ok. Recently its awful and in hindsight it might have coincided with my swap to an iphone 5. The bluetooth module fitted in my car is a 8P0862335H. I see there are much newer ones now and this one 8P1862335A is being advertised on a few installers sites as iphone 5 compatible.

Does this mean there is a known problem with the older modules and and the newer iphone? Apple seem to have always had a few issues with bluetooth over the years.

Newer versions have made newer handsets more compatible for sure, H is an old unit, we always install the latest release for that very reason.

Are you on ios 6 or 7 Dave, I think my problems seemed to get worse with the change to 7.
It worked fine with iOS6, and still works fine with iOS7.

The only problems I've had with iOS7 have been on an Alpine sat nav in my other car (streaming media sometimes switches to random play), no problems at all with my Audi.

It worked fine with iOS6, and still works fine with iOS7.

The only problems I've had with iOS7 have been on an Alpine sat nav in my other car (streaming media sometimes switches to random play), no problems at all with my Audi.

OK, thanks for confirming. Don't know what to do now though.

Do you ever get down to the SE Nigel? Maybe you could check my install?

I'm in East Sussex, Herne Bay is a few hours drive tbh & I don't get jobs down that way often, although I may have something over Kent way soon, just awaiting a reply from a member, but only way to test if calls proved bad quality, would be to try other parts & see where it goes from there.

I'm in East Sussex, Herne Bay is a few hours drive tbh & I don't get jobs down that way often, although I may have something over Kent way soon, just awaiting a reply from a member, but only way to test if calls proved bad quality, would be to try other parts & see where it goes from there.

Ok keep me informed, no massive rush but do want to get resolved, I take it we can swap a bit on a "if it works keep it" basis from parts you stock?

As long as the job is paid, for then yes of course :)