What are the signs of steering rack issues?

scottshere

Reaction score
I am sure i put brake fluid in the powersteering res by mistake when i first got the car
Having a few issues with the car pulling left and right and booking it in for all the arms changing on the front before i get 4 wheel alignment done
Im just concerned i may be fixing the wrong thing, everywhere i take it cannot tell me where the issue is
There is a clonk almost everytime i set off or brake
Maybe its this arm, or this, or this... and ive taken it to 4 different places
("difficult to tell on audis as the have so many ball joints" !!)

Dosn't sound like the steering rack through wrong fluid, Typical symptoms would be leaking fluid, notchy steering or play in the inner track rods which could make a clunking noise when moving the steering wheel left to right. Not really the sort of noise that would occur everytime you set off or brake.

The suspension on these cars can be a pain in the **** to work on !

Could be the bottom arms that's what I'd be checking first anyway..... But you may need it tracking up again if you change things

Mine started that immediately after fitting Bridgestones on the front, torque steers like a b!tch. (pulling from side to side that is..)

I found that when my rack and pump were failing, the pump would occasionally pressurise and knock the steering abit.

Hmmm
Sounds like mine is ok then. Just need to get the full kits for the front arms and change the lot in 1 go
Cheers for the adivse on it being the bottom set Mark, but im worried it might be one of the other ones
If i do change 1 set and im wrong, then it will cost more in the long run... Time to bite the bullet and go for the kill
£120 quote to change the lot from my local garage... Just need to buy the kit myself

I'd say get some ramp so this allows the car to sit at ride height then get a bar in the bushes see if there any signs of play, If they was that bad then you would probably feel some knocking aswell.....

how long it been doing this ??
when did you get the tracking done as if this as been set up wrong it will give you sights of unsteadiness on the road

I'd say get some ramp so this allows the car to sit at ride height then get a bar in the bushes see if there any signs of play, If they was that bad then you would probably feel some knocking aswell.....

how long it been doing this ??
when did you get the tracking done as if this as been set up wrong it will give you sights of unsteadiness on the road

Never had the tracking done and it started months back
It does drag left and right as though its gripping the changes in the road. It also seems to pull left slighlty most of the time, then sometimes to the right.. I'm guessing it dependant on the surface/quality of the road

Wanting to get it tracked, but dont want to spend £40 (ish) on tracking just to have to change the parts knocking, then re track/align

Tyres seem to be wearing even on the front, but rears are wearing quickly on the outer edges (bushes on the rear gone maybe or not aligned)

It's one of those, do i try the cheap option of tracking or go the full hog...
A few places have had it up on a lift and cannot work it out (not found a place that would touch the tracking yet, just get the answer that they are tricky/difficult and only the stealers can track)