1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best "Dust Free" Pads

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by h3msy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. h3msy

h3msy Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    Maybe been covered before but I have just 'seriously' cleaned the alloys on my 2000 S3, only to find a week later they are covered in brake dust yet again. I don't know what make of pad are in as I have only had the car about six weeks, but I can't live with these pads now summer is arriving. I am thinking of painting the calipers and generally want to keep the whole brake area clean.
    Can anyone suggest any decent 'dust-free' pads (that will also stop the S3) that I can change them for, and also the best place to get them from.

Thanks for any advice.

H3MSY
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. cbass

cbass Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    I use Mintex Red Box on my A4, and they are pretty much dust-free. They perform well too!
    I am sure someone will write in with a more performance oriented suggestion on pads
    -Brad
  4. pure

pure Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    yeah i spent 4 hours cleaning mine on saturday, the car still looks clean, but the wheels are black yet again!
  5. S3BeemerBeater

S3BeemerBeater Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    Same here - I went to the trouble of taking them off the car and and striping all the **** off on the insides!!!

What I find now is that the dust (mainly on the front) just hoses off, towel 'em down and a bit of polish and hey presto! I think it's the 'bit of polish' which acts as a barrier to the dust (and tar and other pollutants!) sticking to the rims.

And on a medical point, cleaning wheels once every other day as great for stretching out lower backs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
  6. pure

pure Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    S3BeemerBeater said:

And on a medical point, cleaning wheels once every other day as great for stretching out lower backs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

7. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    standard pads are hopekless especially when they are low, mine need replacing i cleaned them sunday and they are totally black already.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  8. pure

pure Member

[Apr 27, 2004]
    LOL
  9. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Apr 28, 2004]
    I'm running EBC greenstuff pads and can say whilst they are an improvement over the standards, they are not a cure, and I find that within days of washing the wheels they're covered in dust again and I only do a 10-15 mile run to and from work everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  10. h3msy

h3msy Member

[Apr 30, 2004]
  11. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 30, 2004]
    Got my Mintex Red from TTStuff.com

Quite cheap at the time when the dollar was low.

Paid about £30 with delivery from USA and about £5 VAT.

It was too good a deal to miss and I'm still waiting to put them on with some Brembo Discs, as the OE pads are going on forever........and I am trying hard to kill them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  12. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Apr 30, 2004]
    Before you ask..........yes they are the right ones (wear sensor, size etc) as I have compared them with the original.