1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best "Dust Free" Pads

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by h3msy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. h3msy

h3msy Member

Maybe been covered before but I have just 'seriously' cleaned the alloys on my 2000 S3, only to find a week later they are covered in brake dust yet again. I don't know what make of pad are in as I have only had the car about six weeks, but I can't live with these pads now summer is arriving. I am thinking of painting the calipers and generally want to keep the whole brake area clean.
    Can anyone suggest any decent 'dust-free' pads (that will also stop the S3) that I can change them for, and also the best place to get them from.

Thanks for any advice.

H3MSY

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cbass

cbass Member

I use Mintex Red Box on my A4, and they are pretty much dust-free. They perform well too!
    I am sure someone will write in with a more performance oriented suggestion on pads
    -Brad

4. pure

pure Member

yeah i spent 4 hours cleaning mine on saturday, the car still looks clean, but the wheels are black yet again!

5. S3BeemerBeater

Same here - I went to the trouble of taking them off the car and and striping all the **** off on the insides!!!

What I find now is that the dust (mainly on the front) just hoses off, towel 'em down and a bit of polish and hey presto! I think it's the 'bit of polish' which acts as a barrier to the dust (and tar and other pollutants!) sticking to the rims.

And on a medical point, cleaning wheels once every other day as great for stretching out lower backs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

6. pure

pure Member

[ QUOTE ]
    S3BeemerBeater said:

And on a medical point, cleaning wheels once every other day as great for stretching out lower backs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

7. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

standard pads are hopekless especially when they are low, mine need replacing i cleaned them sunday and they are totally black already.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. pure

pure Member

LOL

9. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

I'm running EBC greenstuff pads and can say whilst they are an improvement over the standards, they are not a cure, and I find that within days of washing the wheels they're covered in dust again and I only do a 10-15 mile run to and from work everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. h3msy

h3msy Member

11. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Got my Mintex Red from TTStuff.com

Quite cheap at the time when the dollar was low.

Paid about £30 with delivery from USA and about £5 VAT.

It was too good a deal to miss and I'm still waiting to put them on with some Brembo Discs, as the OE pads are going on forever........and I am trying hard to kill them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

12. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Before you ask..........yes they are the right ones (wear sensor, size etc) as I have compared them with the original.