what are P6000's like in the wet/snow?

matt5594

Reaction score
I currently have a set of alloys with Pirelli P6000's in 205/55/R16 which i was thinking of using as my set of "winter tyres."

How good are the Pirellis (gripwise) compared to some cheap winter tyres like Nankang SV-1 Winter Plus?

Are the P6000's considered all-season or summer tyres?

Obviously they only will be needed for a couple months per year, but since I have a spare set of alloys, i might as well make use of them.

My puma came with P6000s as standard and I replaced the fromt with Michelin and have just gone back to P6000s and I am shocked at the ease at which they slise or spin in the wet . They are NOT winter tyres check out fulda.co.uk I had them on my last A4 2.5 TDi Q and they were fantastic . Ian

I have a set of SV-1's on my 16" comps at home. Never had winter tyres before so couldn't compare with much, but I could happily drive at 60-70 in light snow on the motorway with them on the one day it did snow properly down here before xmas.
They were great in frost & ice in the mornings too, only thing was they wore quite quick as I left them on for too long (til April!) and were noisy and you couldn't really be too keen on manoeuvering quickly. But that said, they are a Winter tyre and if I lived a bit further north would be properly well worth using. I believed the hype of it being really harsh last winter and had 3 almost illegal at the time so opted for Winters.
P6000's are not too good in the wet in my experience!

I have a set of SV-1's on my 16" comps at home. Never had winter tyres before so couldn't compare with much, but I could happily drive at 60-70 in light snow on the motorway with them on the one day it did snow properly down here before xmas.
They were great in frost & ice in the mornings too, only thing was they wore quite quick as I left them on for too long (til April!) and were noisy and you couldn't really be too keen on manoeuvering quickly. But that said, they are a Winter tyre and if I lived a bit further north would be properly well worth using. I believed the hype of it being really harsh last winter and had 3 almost illegal at the time so opted for Winters.
P6000's are not too good in the wet in my experience!

is it worth getting a set of winter tyres for wet and rainy conditions? (not necessarily snow/ice..)

I'd probably say no. Although they are recommended for anything under something like 12deg Celsius cause they have more natural rubber in them and don't get hard like normal tyres would in such cold. Think mine were a bit overkill, but they saved me from a lot of agro the day it snowed when I HAD to be somewhere!
Wet and very cold i'd say yes - spose it depends where you live. But if it was just rain and averagely cold i'd probably go for some Uniroyals or Continentals as i've found them really good in the wet.
Winters do flex a lot, knid of like false body roll cause the tread is so soft and so deep! They must have had about 12mm of tread new, i'm not joking!

london, so whilst it doesn't snow often, it rains a lot, its raining right now infact :(

i am otherwise going to be using goodyear eagle f1s.

I'm not a speed merchant (god, that makes me sound like I'm aged 95!) but have had a few vehicles now where they've been fitted with P6000's when bought,and without exception have been absolutely crap in the wet,and have changed to decent tyres at the earliest opportunity......
Its interesting to see that I'm not alone in my opinion of this tyre.....

My F1s are almost on the blocks at the front and the rear Sportmaxxes are not far behind. F1s have lasted 16000 so far and have been good wet or dry, the Sportmaxxes have done 14000 so far likewise. Have been looking at prices thinking to replace them next month. However anyone going down the M8 at Livingstone may have seen me coming very sideways at 60mph down the slip road from the 270 degree loop this afternoon in the rain. methinks new ones next week

I had Bridgestone Potenza re720's they are phenominal tyres. Deffo worth their money.

Our S3 was supplied from the factory with P6000's on they lasted about 16,000 miles and were not much good, replaced with Michelin PS2 which seem to be much better :)

I recently bought a set of part worn P6000s (225/45/17 with around 5-7mm left) to go on my new 17" Star alloys, and whilst they perform well in both the wet and dry, they're much noisier than my old set.

Previously, I had Bridgestone Potenza RE040 205/55/16s which still had 5-6mm left after 15k, and when the Pirellis are finished I'll certainly be going back to them.