1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a PITA the rear brakes are!

Mike.M Aug 14, 2013

1. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

I think I am quite a good hands on person when it comes to cars.

Decided to change the rear discs and pads which I have done on loads of cars but these 8mm hex bolts on the carriers are a PITA to remove.......I failed and had to put it all back together.

I have read you can turn the hub to a certain position to utilise a notch on the back of the hub mount to slide the disc out so will have another go when I can...........any other ideas welcome

2. spartacus68

spartacus68 Active Member

Try Irwin bolt extractor. If bolt isn't rounded, them hammer in decent quality allen bit and use extension to lever.

3. palfy86

palfy86 Active Member Audi A4

Yeah im with you mike i did these earlier in the year. After some strong words and brute strength i managed to undo the carrier bolts and get the disc off. Bloody hard work mate you have my sympathy pal, :friends:

4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Beyond a big bar I can't offer any words of wisdom, only reassurance that you're not the only person who has had this problem!

5. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Cheers all.

Going to give them another go soon and buying a new 1/2" 8mm hex socket to go on my big torque wrench

6. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

Errr - I'm no expert, but surely that won't do a torque wrench much good? Just get a breaker bar and possibly add something like a chunk of scaffold pipe to give even more leverage if necessary.

7. gavsman

gavsman Member

+1 for the irwin bolt extractor.

Did mine a few years ago & had to use the irwin to get the job done ( only needed to do the top bolt & bash the carrier with a rubber mallet to move it n inch to be able to get the new disc on) & new bolts from Audi were only a couple of quid.

8. ricostuart

ricostuart Active Member

On my B7, I manged to get the old disc out without removing the carrier. Took a few attempts and some hammering, but they were getting replaced anyway. I used them to see if i can put them on again without too much damage. They do go back on, so I put on the new discs with the carrier still in place with 0 damage. They kinda rotate in. Cant explain though, but they can go in and out with the carrier there!

9. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Cheers......will have a look soon, but time is not on my side at the moment.

10. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

Ref my torque wrench, it can be put into a breaker bar mode

11. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

Ah! You learn something everyday!

12. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

i did mine a few weeks ago, the discs come out with a wiggle and no need to undo the hex bolts and remove the carriers