What a change! 8P 1.6TDI to 8V S3

Zak0123

Reaction score
Afternoon folks!

Been on the forums for a while now with my old 1.6TDI 8P A3 and have been extremely fortunate to make the jump to an 8V S3... what a dream she is!

GCBTbdu.jpg

Absolutely love the power and how it drives, had it a week now from delivery miles, used to drive the old shape TTS (family car) and this feels even a jump from that.

Couple of things:

Can't play Spotify through the MMI lead, I've read up on it on here and some people are saying they cant skip tracks etc, but mine wont even play, the bluetooth shuts off completely when connected and the car cant pick up any tracks (might have to make the swap to Apple music?). I'm using an iPhone 6.

I've got the standard sound system and find it a bit lacking in the bass department (sorry guys, I'm 26 ha!), had a custom setup in my 8P so looking to a couple of the guys on here who have fitted the *** or B&O sub which doesn't look to heavy so think I'll go down this route. So any other guidance with this would be greatly appreciated. Made the massive mistake of taking a 2.0TDI S-Line out with B&O sound for a spin and wish I hadn't, it sounded amazing and I miss it! :sorry:

Just bought a snow foamer for the karcher pressure washer today so keen to test that out, need to read up on my detailing as I'm a bit out of practice. Not into the 5 hour cleans but will spend a couple of hours a fortnight getting the sparkle back. Again any advice would be awesome!

I've got the windows tinted and apart from the sub I think I'll leave her relatively OEM, maybe a remap a year or so down the line but loving the power for now. That is until I start getting itchy feet by seeing the custom stuff on here!

Anyway just wanted to say hi (again!) and get involved once again. :rockwoot:

Cheers all!

Reactions: S32B, S3 Turbo, Martinbanshee and 3 others
Afternoon folks!

Been on the forums for a while now with my old 1.6TDI 8P A3 and have been extremely fortunate to make the jump to an 8V S3... what a dream she is!

GCBTbdu.jpg

Absolutely love the power and how it drives, had it a week now from delivery miles, used to drive the old shape TTS (family car) and this feels even a jump from that.

Couple of things:

Can't play Spotify through the MMI lead, I've read up on it on here and some people are saying they cant skip tracks etc, but mine wont even play, the bluetooth shuts off completely when connected and the car cant pick up any tracks (might have to make the swap to Apple music?). I'm using an iPhone 6.

I've got the standard sound system and find it a bit lacking in the bass department (sorry guys, I'm 26 ha!), had a custom setup in my 8P so looking to a couple of the guys on here who have fitted the *** or B&O sub which doesn't look to heavy so think I'll go down this route. So any other guidance with this would be greatly appreciated. Made the massive mistake of taking a 2.0TDI S-Line out with B&O sound for a spin and wish I hadn't, it sounded amazing and I miss it! :sorry:

Just bought a snow foamer for the karcher pressure washer today so keen to test that out, need to read up on my detailing as I'm a bit out of practice. Not into the 5 hour cleans but will spend a couple of hours a fortnight getting the sparkle back. Again any advice would be awesome!

I've got the windows tinted and apart from the sub I think I'll leave her relatively OEM, maybe a remap a year or so down the line but loving the power for now. That is until I start getting itchy feet by seeing the custom stuff on here!

Cheers all!
Very nice looking car mate..:respekt:

Reactions: Zak0123, Jassyo06 and sjbarneS3
Nice car!

Haven't got mine yet, but is it not supposed to be MMI lead for locally stored music OR bluetooth for spotify? Not both?

Reactions: Zak0123
Beautiful motor :)

Afternoon folks!

GCBTbdu.jpg

Couple of things:

Cheers all!
How refreshing it is to see "a lovely Black S3 SB with the BSP" and hear from a newish member that isnt up his own rectum...welcome

Reactions: S32B, Zak0123 and Simon L
Welcome to the 8V section, lovely looking car....................

Very nice car you have there .
www.detailingworld.co.uk
is a super site for all the info you will ever need .
Be warned though it will pull you in and will cost but well worth it ..
enjoy....

Reactions: Zak0123 and Jassyo06
How would one choose?
I assume surely you'd only plug the phone into the AMI port if you want to stream locally stored music? If you just want to use bluetooth, and if the OP is saying the AMI turns bluetooth off, then just don't connect the AMI cable if you want to stream spotify over bluetooth?

As far as I know, the AMI port isn't really designed for charging your devices (more for data, although I may get corrected on that)

Someone with the car might know more, but that's my guess / assumption from what I've read here

Thanks for the warm 8V welcome gents, and for the kind words on the car! It's good to be back.

How refreshing it is to see "a lovely Black S3 SB with the BSP" and hear from a newish member that isnt up his own rectum...welcome

Haha cheers! Glad to hear it.

Nice car!

Haven't got mine yet, but is it not supposed to be MMI lead for locally stored music OR bluetooth for spotify? Not both?

I assume surely you'd only plug the phone into the AMI port if you want to stream locally stored music? If you just want to use bluetooth, and if the OP is saying the AMI turns bluetooth off, then just don't connect the AMI cable if you want to stream spotify over bluetooth?

As far as I know, the AMI port isn't really designed for charging your devices (more for data, although I may get corrected on that)

Someone with the car might know more, but that's my guess / assumption from what I've read here

Yeah you're both kinda right IMO. I've heard the MMI lead works really well with Apple music which is essentially the same as Spotify, but it would be nice to charge the phone while playing music, for longer journeys more than anything.

Also I think (guessing) that sound quality is a bit better when linked through the MMI, although it is nice jumping in the car and having music play straight away. Just getting used to leaving bluetooth on and spotify open in the background :whip:

P.s. loving the snow foamer...

IWB69F0.jpg

CHRISTMAS!!

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
Good on ye kid keep up the good work have a look at gtechniq black serum light in conjunction with EXO2 this will save you a lot grief on a black painted car

Reactions: Simon L
Thanks for the warm 8V welcome gents, and for the kind words on the car! It's good to be back.

Haha cheers! Glad to hear it.

Yeah you're both kinda right IMO. I've heard the MMI lead works really well with Apple music which is essentially the same as Spotify, but it would be nice to charge the phone while playing music, for longer journeys more than anything.

Also I think (guessing) that sound quality is a bit better when linked through the MMI, although it is nice jumping in the car and having music play straight away. Just getting used to leaving bluetooth on and spotify open in the background :whip:

P.s. loving the snow foamer...

IWB69F0.jpg

CHRISTMAS!!

Snow foam is where it's at mate, big fan of yer work there ;)

I don't find the AMI cable that good either for Spotify, can't skip track etc. and would have been disappointed if I had paid for it..Try this work round to allow you to charge your phone and Bluetooth Spotify (and phone) at the same time.

Connect a standard lightening cable to the AMI port via an AMI to USB connector ...simples

Again though, they're not really designed much for power / charging at all, that is more of a side-feature and it will likely charge quite slowly compared to a 12v to USB adapter (and then bluetooth for streaming)

This is going by my experience of the USB port in a Focus ST, I found it to charge considerably quicker (with a much higher mA output, checked using an app on my Android) using the 12v to USB fast charger

:)

Does the Audi have a 'charging' only USB port next to the AMI port? I saw this online somewhere but may have been a US spec car.

Awesome looking car! Really liked the blacked out look but I prefer the white black contrasts so I went for glacier with black pack, tints are coming soon as are carbon mirrors!
I can only agree with you on the standard sound system lacking bass, I'll be looking at adding the audi sub at some point too. Did you spec the tech pack? I read that it should have enough oomph to be able to add the sub without the need for another amp being wired in.
Give me a shout if you go through with it and I'll do the same! :friends:

Good on ye kid keep up the good work have a look at gtechniq black serum light in conjunction with EXO2 this will save you a lot grief on a black painted car

Will do bud. Been thinking whats the best for it, so will check out your recommendations, thanks!

I don't find the AMI cable that good either for Spotify, can't skip track etc. and would have been disappointed if I had paid for it..Try this work round to allow you to charge your phone and Bluetooth Spotify (and phone) at the same time.

Connect a standard lightening cable to the AMI port via an AMI to USB connector ...simples

Good to know I can do that if all else fails, might just make the switch to Apple music as apparently you can search Playlists, tracks etc via the screen. Would that mean buying a new cable? Got another cable with the car but not sure if it's USB or for iPhone 4, 5 etc. will check it out

Again though, they're not really designed much for power / charging at all, that is more of a side-feature and it will likely charge quite slowly compared to a 12v to USB adapter (and then bluetooth for streaming)

This is going by my experience of the USB port in a Focus ST, I found it to charge considerably quicker (with a much higher mA output, checked using an app on my Android) using the 12v to USB fast charger

:)

Does the Audi have a 'charging' only USB port next to the AMI port? I saw this online somewhere but may have been a US spec car.

Don't think there's a 'charging' port, there is the old school cigarette charger but it's just a bit annoying to have floating round the car :sob:

Awesome looking car! Really liked the blacked out look but I prefer the white black contrasts so I went for glacier with black pack, tints are coming soon as are carbon mirrors!
I can only agree with you on the standard sound system lacking bass, I'll be looking at adding the audi sub at some point too. Did you spec the tech pack? I read that it should have enough oomph to be able to add the sub without the need for another amp being wired in.
Give me a shout if you go through with it and I'll do the same! :friends:

Thanks bud, white with the black pack will look so good! What wheels are you getting?

I didn't get to spec the tech pack unfortunately (car was already manufactured so picked it up with a slight discount) but hopefully all will work out in the end as looking to amp the sub anyway.

Looking like it will either be the *** or B&O sub with a JBL amp, one of the gents on here has been really helpful and suggested *** sub with JBL amp to power the sub and front speakers, meaning the only main difference between that and the *** system would be the centre speaker on the dash (which could always happen in time :shutup2:).

Now just need to find someone with VCDS in the Cambridgeshire area to enable the MMI sub pin! :sos:

Lovely car!

I also got my S3 quite recently and very happy so far.

Besides that it's way too good on putting down the 300 bhp.
(It really feels like a lot more in fwd cousin Leon cupra...)
:-D

Bluetooth and Spotify works flawless on mine including skipping to next track. But have BO and Android phone...

Don't think there's a 'charging' port, there is the old school cigarette charger but it's just a bit annoying to have floating round the car

You could aways buy a 12v to USB charging converter (£2-3 from eBay) and use the 12v socket in the rear. Your lightening cable could be easily concealed between the rear socket and centre console.

Reactions: azibux1
Smart looking S3 :)

Don't think there's a 'charging' port, there is the old school cigarette charger but it's just a bit annoying to have floating round the car :sob:

Aha okay :)

Lovely car!

Bluetooth and Spotify works flawless on mine including skipping to next track. But have BO and Android phone...

Cheers bud! It does work well on mine it's just having the ability to charge too. Like some of the guys have said, I guess I'll either take the plunge to Apple music or run a charger off the 12v socket. :salute:

Dying to get a sub in the back! :readit:

have been extremely fortunate to make the jump to an 8V S3...
Made me smile, from this I get a young guy that works hard and hasn't had everything handed to him on a plate ;) Makes a change from some that just say it's a mass produced fast car and nothing special....

Yeah I tried this when using Prime and it worked, had to search for the phone again from the input part for music, even though I was already connected for calls via blue-tooth!!!!!

Reactions: Zak0123, Daveotto and pburv
Made me smile, from this I get a young guy that works hard and hasn't had everything handed to him on a plate ;) Makes a change from some that just say it's a mass produced fast car and nothing special....

Haha thanks for the kind words mate, appreciate it :friends: Such a beaut of a car so do feel very blessed! :wub:

Totally unrelated now.... where does everyone get there OEM parts from? I'm after the Audi Sound System speakers for a retrofit, apart from eBay do I have any other choice for parts? :help:

Haha thanks for the kind words mate, appreciate it :friends: Such a beaut of a car so do feel very blessed! :wub:

Totally unrelated now.... where does everyone get there OEM parts from? I'm after the Audi Sound System speakers for a retrofit, apart from eBay do I have any other choice for parts? :help:
Reading one of the other retro fitting subs posts on here there was a gent got it for £90 through another member on here who can get them at trade price...can't for the life of me remember which thread though as there's that many