1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet carpets!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by gstevens26, Dec 12, 2009.

1. gstevens26

gstevens26 New Member

[Dec 12, 2009]
    I've just been cleaning my car out when I noticed that the carpets on the passenger floor and under the seat and the rear carpets behind the passenger seat are soaking wet. Can anyone suggest where the wet could be getting in? I've checked all the window seals and they look good. Underneath the car looks sound. Can't work it out as they are really quite wet and thought someone may have had the same experience.
    I've got a A4 1.8T quattro sport
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 26, 2014]

3. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

[Dec 12, 2009]
  4. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

[Dec 12, 2009]
    Scuttle tray. There are two plugs - one underneath the battery and one behind the servo. Remove the battery and tray for the first one and you will have to reach in under the servo for the second. While you're there, do yourself a favour and remove those shitty plenum drain plugs...

P.S. my carpets were so wet I had to remove the entire carpet. There will be A LOT of water underneath it, I'm not kidding... The carpet is fairly easy to remove. Remove the seats, lower dashboard trim, sill trim, lower B pillar trim, centre console trim etc. It joins up behind the dash board, so you also need to remove the dash bar...

Or do what I did - get a Stanley knife and make two cuts either side of the bar. :)

Once all the trim is back in place you won't notice the cuts.
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 13, 2009]
    I didnt remove the plugs, as i figured they must be there for a reason...

But what i did do was trim them back so instead of the cross shaped slit there was a proper round hole. the one behind the servo is tricky, and also acts as a grommet for the clutch pipe, but i managed to cut most of it out with a pair of wire cutters by reaching in.
  6. tazzy baby

tazzy baby Rookie

[Dec 13, 2009]
    Hey guys i have the same problem but on both sides of the floor front and back only my tray holes are fine i unblocked them over a year ago and clean them out every other week but my carpets are drenched every time it rains and in this weather its hard for me to strip it out as i have no place to store anything is there any other place i aint look at where it could come in cheers