1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West London Audi

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Hotscar, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

[Jun 29, 2007]
    My car is in for a service at the above today and they have just called me to say they can not complete the service as the sump nut is rounded and wont come out so I need a new sump to the tune of £380 (plus the cost of the service).

Trouble is, only Audi have ever serviced the car so who's rounded it. Is it worth writing to Audi or would I be wasting my time?

Advice welcome and thanks in advance!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Dubplate

Dubplate Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    tough one as they could argue that fact that you could of had third party work carried out on it.... personally i would still write to them explaining the situation you have nothing to lose by doing so....
  4. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

[Jun 29, 2007]
    Just whack some mole grips on it or a helicoil and pull it out. It'll take about 30 seconds.

Then take it back to complete the service.
  5. simch

simch Active Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    Its balls! They should be able to get the sump plug out even if its totally rounded off! You can get reverse screw drill bits that will destroy the sump plug but get ti out of there.

Sounds to me that they have knackered the sump by knackering the htreads on it, or are just trying it on! Maybe had the YTS idiot who forgot his "lefty loosy, rightly tighty" saying and stripped the threads!

Ask them if they cannot undo the thing or cannot do it up? If it is that the oil wont come out, ie cannot reove it, take the car off them and take it to a place wiht an ounce of mecanical savvy!

if they got it out ask them why a new sump plug wont cure it. ie what other damage did THEY do! !
  6. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

[Jun 29, 2007]
    Thanks for the comments guys but it's too late for the above, they've done the work. I was just wondering if I could make a case now given the fact Audi are the only company that have ever worked on my car in terms of changing the oil. I had the belts and water pump done by an independent but they wouldn't/didn't go near the sump nut!
  7. marms

marms Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    Surely the only time necessary to remove the sump plug is while changing the oil. I'd be pointing the finger at the person who did the last service.

You say they can't remove the plug because it's rounded. Complete rubbish. As said above a simple helicoil would remove it. then simply use a new sump plug. Quite a bit cheaper than £380+ for a sump.

My guess is they have damaged something and are now trying to get you to pay for their mistakes. Go down there and take a look at what they have been up to.
  8. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    if its the same dealership thats changed your oil everytime then fight your corner, they worked on it last they need to fix it.
  9. jonS3

jonS3 Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    I would not stand for that, and i certainly wouldnt have authorised for the work to be carried out without them showing me the problem

complain and get some money back
  10. simch

simch Active Member

[Jun 29, 2007]
    I reckon they stripped the sump threads (easy done if you are a cackhanded moron like dealer techs are!) and are tryin to get you to foot the bill.

Flipping heck, £380 for a SUMP... what it made of, gold! ? You can get a short block off audit for £1400!
  11. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

[Jun 29, 2007]
    Yup, a PROPER baffled sump is less than £380.