were to find a 3" downpipe

boost-addict

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Website
t.me
yer what i was thinking. i was given a price of approx £500 for full system turbo back inc decat which will then accept the stock cat when needed .
ive priced up every thing needed inc downpipe, flexi joint and a decent rear exhaust is £649 but thats 3" s/s

if i did it in mild steel, which would mean i can weld it all together my self would be £466

so going to sort a booking with the exhaust centre, but 3" or 2.5!

just looking and looking and hoping a s/h system comes up!

034 do one but is costly id personally get one made !!

Heres theres - Downpipe 3", Audi B5 1.8T Stock Fitment - 034 MOTORSPORT
Yer that ain't cheap. So do I go for a full turbo back system in 3" or go from cat back save a few pounds there and buy a ecs decat or even a race cat as worried about how they may fit up the decat and down pipe meaning when i get to mot time im stuck with having to keep the old ssttem or worse have some thing fitted. For now I'm running a baby ko3 but I was chatting to my brother and we agreed that I should plan ahead. And as a elim kit or hybrid will find its way on my car I may as well have a system built capible of getting the power out of what ever I end up fitting.

but wanted some opinionson how a 3" sounds.
Thinking a long back box no mmiddle as I've never had a system made do I get a chance to hear my car with different box options?

3" can be a bit droney, so you'll want some large silencers or keep the cat.

Personally, i'd do 3" off the turbo, to a sport cat mounted underneath, in the same place the cats are fitted on the V6 models, then down into a 2.5" system.

This will be plenty for upto 300hp.

If you want more than 300, then 2.75 or 3" right thru might be worth considering.

Yer sounds good even if it is too loud On a 3" I can get a middle box put in place so I think if I run jus a rear box but a largish straight though one then see how that sounds. Also saving a few bob I really like te tail pipe I got so will keep that.

When u have a system made do you get to choose how u want it and what box size etc and then what happens if I'm not happy with the sound?

You choose the style, how you want it to sound, how many boxes, what diameter. Just phone around first because not many places stock 3" or want to use it as they have trouble bending it so usually advise you to stick with 2.5 as its easier for them so the word on the street sugests. If you choose exactly what you want and its you`re not happy with it still then i guess they`d charge to change it again. If they dont follow what you`ve asked for then i pressume they would alter it free of charge. Depends where you took it and how good they are.

yer its what i was thinking,.
well i phone a comapany ive brought direct fit exhuasts from but they make custom order ones, they actually have 2.5 or 3", i dont know the price for 2.5 but 3" is £500 or there abouts for a turbo back 3" exhaust with 2 lamba holes and then the first hole having the lambda sat away from direct flow to help with cat cels

ill likley go for oval centre box and round rear just for fitment ease i didnt ask my mate what he had on hes a3 before he sold it as he only bought it to make money, any how i explained i wanted it to be resonably quite when not on boost although i dont mind a little noise, genreally motorway driving is literly bare minumum so drone expectations can be set a little higher, but then on boost i would like it to sound nice and deep but also a bit of tone to it like the bigger turbod car have,
not sure if that doable or asking to much but overall looking for a quite to medium off boost and medium bordering loud on boost

you wont need to mess with the lambdas the ECU doesnt care if the cat is there or not and only has one sensor.

The one lambda that is there should not be "sat away from direct flow" though, it must be properly in the gas stream, as it deals with the main fuelling.

two so i can use one for ecu and other for afr.

so whats this about people using adaptors after getting cels as decast casue the car to throw codes

Later cars have two sensors, a primary one up near the turbo which does the main fuelling, and a secondary one down after the cat which monitors cat performance. On these cars you need to mess around with the second lambda, or have it coded out of the ECU, when you decat the car, otherwise you get a fault code.

You never touch the primary one.

AJL doesnt have that issue though, as it doesnt have a second lambda.

For value for money I would go for 034 high flow cat, custom downpipe with flexi and a jetex system.

The jetex systems look very good value for money, think theres a couple of people on here with them. They would probably fit a lot better than a custom made one, unless you find a really good custom exhaust maker, but the good ones tend to be pricey.

ok so been quoted around 500-550 turbo back, 3" to 2.5" but to be fair in 2.5" mild steel itll cost me £200 tops, then a universal 2.5" exhaust with the right hanger works out £44 so ill get a down pipe made for £220 then buy the ecs tuning decat so in all should cost about 400-430. plus i get the fun of making the system my self.

For the £100 i'd rather save my self all the hassle and have someone make it for me, plus you'll get it made from stainless.

thats true, although id prefer mild steel, i just hope the grade and wall thickness will be decent,

this is the decat im going with
THS 1.8T Decat A4/A6 Passat - FR&R Tuning| MAHA Dyno Rolling Road Tuning| Stage 1, 2 & 3 Engine Performance Upgrades - (Powered by CubeCart)

these are my offers so far

longlife thurrock state £449 thats cat back using T304 s/s so add another £100 for a decat.

again from what ive heard long life are crap. and get surface rust, true still?

mij exhausts stated

For your Audi I can offer you a 3" stainless steel downpipe for £220.00 fitted, and the stainless steel downpipe-back exhaust system in 2.5" pipe for £345.00. This is fully

inclusive of fuel discount (£25), VAT & fitting. I have included a round tailpipe in the quotation.

then ashford motersport said

Our custom 3” exhausts are only available as mandrel bent and TIG welded, so more expensive that normal systems.
Cost would be £550.00 plus VAT fully made up and fitted to your car with a decat pipe.
You would need to allow a full day to have this done around 6 hours.

(this was a qoute on a 3" system so id guess 2.5 downpipe back would be a little less, going to reply to them and see)

but this is tig welded from cat back for £550 which im thinking is going to be the best deal here?

mij sound good, any one had experence? would all s/s systems be tigged any way?

so any one else i can try in or around sevenoaks, i dont mind travling up to an hour so 30 miles raduis

Last edited:
MIJ seems the best deal.

The issue with long life is that they're franchised. As a result, some branches will be excellent, and some could be ****. Just depends on who works there etc. Really need to find people who've used that particular place.

As i said above, i'd forget about the stock cat position. Have your downpipe made right from the turbo, down to beside the gearbox, then put a sport cat down there under the car. That saves you the £80 for the decat pipe which you can spend on a sport cat instead. If you want you could also have flanges put on, so you can swap the cat out for a streight pipe, but IMO theres little point in doing that, sport cat will flow almost as well, and will save you any greif from VOSA or MOT Man.

Yer. Well it's either 161 for a race cat or 80 for a decat. I'd rather leave the cat position were it is. And also I don't want the cat under the car I ground out the car enough so no point moving stuff for sake of it. Just like the maf

But saying that about longlife, apparently MIJ`s quality as slipped in recent years. I had 2 mates go there years ago and the quality was great from what i saw infront of me but recent work seems to not have the best rating. But thats just going by recent comments, not first hand experience.

mmm yer ive seen longlife systems rust, now this wasa few years back,

i may just go for mij as they sound good, not only that they have a customer area with tv/sky/internet access and refresments, so yer id be right at home any way lol. might just bring my sofa then im set!

right the qoute i got from long life was infact from a guy called ben at amd essex, soooooo to kill two birds with one stone so to speak, im going with him as been qouted £400 cat back can beat that! and might if i have just enough funds do a remap. or if i dont, a dyno run when the new exhaust has been fitted just to see whats going on and current power, i may even be cheeky and ask to do a before and after, because i know for a fact who ever kinked the pipe to "make" sorry "bodge" a bend is robbing me top end power, ill get a pic after ive been to tesco! but the kink goes to 1" !!!!

any way heres my qoute and im more then happy

Hello Mat,

The cat back system would be £399.95 and we can certainly make it with a 4” oval tail pipe.

Regards
Ben
AmD Tuning (Essex)Ltd.

thats 2.5" downpipe back, will take the decat will be fitted by end of this month or next so they can mount up to that i guess

Just take their dyno figures with a pinch of salt and take 15/20bhp off of what it reads lol.