1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

went over a pot hole earlier

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by FranA3, Aug 12, 2010.

1. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

hi all earlyer on i went over a pot hole usually i go round them but didnt see this one in time and bang hit it hard no damage to the wheels/tire but now i have a twanging noise coming from the front left suspension any ideas what this could be a broken spring maybe or something worse ?? any help appriciated cheers
    fran
  2. Watty

Watty ..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan

Hi Fran,

You'll need to get underneath, preferably jack it up and take the wheel off. Check suspension arms, strut and bearing...., also anything flapping around that shouldn't be. Twanging, so a bit bad, try the front, bushes etc. Is the steering still ok? Then check the other side to see if anything looks different.

Also, sorry about that, I hate pot holes.....
  3. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

grr me to bloody things , no the steering seams ok its only when im going very slowly like parking up and when i turn the wheel off full lock there's a loud twang like something is echoing through the spring if you get what i mean i'll jack it up and have a poke round tomrow fingers crossed its nothing too expensive thanks watty
  4. Sarah's A3

Sarah's A3 MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid Staff Member Moderator

is there any play in the wheel when jacked up????

You should AVOID pot holes!!! lol, seriously, sorry it got you though, dam things, far too many around
  5. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

not in the steering wheel no but i'll jack it up and have a look see in work tomor , lol i know i hate the things i usually go round them for this exact reason but too late to avoid it:banghead: oh well it happens eh lol if it is a broken spring then its a good excuse to get my coilovers instead of getting a new spring haha
  6. leach76

leach76 Member

I would say broken spring mate done various cars at work with terrible roads after bad weather
  7. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

yeah thats what im thinking it could be i should sue the council for the damages lol
  8. JoeD

JoeD Member

Cardiff shitty council!
  9. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this Fran. Hope it dont cost too much to get sorted. If you like i can ask my uncle to check it out for you.
  10. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

lol yeah i agree the council suck ass but im gunna have a good poke round it 2moz in work just to put my mind at rest if it is a spring then its time to lower it lol , how much were your coilovers ashley coz im assuming that mine sould cost near enough the same being both 1.6's
  11. Kev_M5KPL

Kev_M5KPL Member

Lower it :p

but councils are gay i look like i am pissed when i am driving down some of the roads in lincoln lol...
  12. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

well im going to lower it anyway so this is my sound excuse to do it lol , i know what u mean mate i used to be like that when i had my old RS swerving everywhere i got pulled over and breathalised so much it was funny they used to ask me why the hell are you swerving like that for my reply was i didnt want to scrap my front bumper they just looked at me weird haha
  13. matt123890

matt123890 Member

Lol sorry to hear about the bloody potholes round here getting someone else!!! My mate buckled a wheel off his s4 round barry !!! The roads are terrible ! I got pulled over for missing pothole in the work van by mc donalds the other night cause they thought i was drunk swerving round them all !!

Lol
  14. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

i know they are soo bad arent they my mate works for barry council i should have a word with him lol
  15. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Unlucky buddy, i avoid these things like the plague with my wheels, skinny tyres and coilovers combo!!

Take a looksie underneath, anything loose or hanging off. Get some pics of the pothole and go to the council!