1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Temp Display

thomp1983 Oct 18, 2006

1. thomp1983

thomp1983 New Member

ok, cars a '98 1.9tdi(ahu engine) a4. the temperature display on the dash appears to have stopped working, it's been like that for a couple of months the car runs absolutely fine, but the other day i used the car to jump start another one so left it running stationary for awhile, when i got back in it i noticed the dial was at 90 degrees and functioning. any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

chris

2. Neil_S

Neil_S Member

I should imagine it has something to do with the coolant temperature sender, it's a sensor on the back of the engine block which commonly fails apparently.

Would be handy if you have somebody with vag-com near you that could run a check and see what error codes show up.

I have an intermittant fault with my coolant temperature sender showing up on my 2001 B6 1.9 TDi, I've ordered replacement parts from vagparts for about £18. It's not an expensive problem to fix.

3. thomp1983

thomp1983 New Member

it had a new cts not so long ago, does anyone know what readings it should show with vagcom?

chris