1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird noise when starting engine???

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Defratos, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Jan 13, 2005]
    Hey guys, some of you might already know that I've just recently got an S3 and so I'm not sure how it's engine is supposed to sound. I've only got two question and would appreciate any replies.
    1) When I start the engine it takes like 1.5 secs to actually ignite and has a sort of rumbling noise. I'm not talking about the exhaust I'm talking more in the region of the Cam belts.
    2) When accelerating there is a slight whistly noise from the engine, is there a factory fitted dump valve?
    P.S. Anyone know of any good spark plugs for the S3?? anyone fitted any?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. djjnrj

djjnrj Guest

[Jan 13, 2005]
    small engine noise is normal for first start of the day. as for the whistle. that would be the turbo spinning up, sounds real good don't ya think? lol
    and yes, the S3 has a dump valve (BOV) as standard, but is kind of hard to hear unless you really listen cause it is a re-circulating one. hope this helps.
  4. benk

benk Member

[Jan 14, 2005]
    Yes, it's a diverter-valve, not really a dump valve.
    If you hear it release air between gear changes then it may need replacing - it should retain turbo pressure, not release it to atmosphere. They're about 20 quid for a standard one.
  5. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Jan 14, 2005]
    yeah I sometimes hear it while changing gears. where exactly is this diverter-valve located? and how easy is it to change?
  6. benk

benk Member

[Jan 14, 2005]
    When mine was going, I could hear a "chakka-chak" kind of noise between changes (only with window open).
    You can see it on top of engine - do a search on "diverter" on this site and you should easily find images and more details, etc.