1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird noise in front end

dartanion69 Jun 8, 2004

1. dartanion69

dartanion69 New Member

My 99 A4 Avant has had a strange noise coming from the front end for a while now and is getting worse only recently. This all started when I replaced the tires the first time. I had Americas/Discount Tire replace the stock tire and it seemed like they never got the balance right for the wheels. After 7 visits and rebalancing, the noise was less noticable, but still there. This was still true until recently. I had the 90k service done, they recommended new tires and alignment. Had this done and noise still exists. It is a wub..wub..wub sound the increases in frequency with vehicle speed and is more noticable when you are turning. My thoughts are either the wheel bearings or a CV joint is going bad. How hard is it to replace these?

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. ajmackie

ajmackie Member

I would say it is the wheel bearings! Don't know as to how hard it is to replace. Would have thought you would have to take it to a garage to do.

3. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

Bearings.

4. dartanion69

dartanion69 New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I thought it was more likely to be the wheel bearing(s). It didn't have the symptoms of a CV joint. No grinding or steering pull.

Since I don't have a bearing press or a press of any sort, I guess I'll have a garage do it. Any idea of what I should expect to pay?

Thanks

5. GoSPeeDxRaCeR

GoSPeeDxRaCeR Member