Weird Intermittent Creaking

steverobertsbbc

Reaction score
Just been out in the car and it was creaking over every bump like a load of old bedsprings. I've had this happen intermittently since I got it in March, the weird thing is that it will do it one journey and be totally fine the next. I can't really seem to locate it, it just seems generalised to somewhere low down and possibly towards the front. It's horrendous going over speed bumps.

Any clues? It's a 1.8 Sportback Sport quattro with magnetic ride.

You might think this silly to ask but does it do it when the roads are quite wet? If it doesn't then the creaking might well be a bush somewhere on the suspension...

Reactions: warren_S5
I've not heard it doing it in the wet, but I haven't actually driven it much in the wet either. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It was quiet the first time I drove it, then two hours later I went out and it was doing it.

Mine does under the steering wheel close to the knee airbags. ****** awful after 8 years if trouble free motoring. I've an s3 SB for ref.

Reactions: Dandanfings
I've just been out again and it seems to be getting worse. It's a rattle / creak. It seems worse at low speeds (but it might just be more noticeable due to lack of other noise) and it definitely seems to be somewhere front at right. It sounds big, it's not just a something loose in the dashboard or anything. I think it's going to be a trip to Audi to let them see if they can work out what the hell it is.

Exactly the same here, mostly over speed humps. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong. He did say it could be the bushes (being stiff). It would be good to know if you actually find out what this is!

Same here. Seems worse on cold starts. Hasn't got any better in the past year. Dealer hasn't been able to replicate it but it sounds like shocks / bushes to me.

Hi have the same , started about 4 weeks after I picked up my car , stare as an intermittent issue now it's there all the time, it seems worse if the car was off balance , like if a parked the rear wheel on the kerb and I jumped in the car , sounded like old bed springs or a rusty knuckle joint if that makes sense , took it in to halfords auto centre as they looked after the warranty from the garage I got the car from guess what ..no fault found lol tossers !

Anyway , I've slowly worked out it's the top mounts, if I put the car off balance and rock the car I can hear the nose , if I hold the spring I can feel it resonating in tune with the nose , going to order some top mounts and do it myself ... Safer the halfords lol

Looks like there are quite a few people having problems, but frustratingly no-one seems to have come to a definitive conclusion.

eg: Audi Addict • A3 suspension problems? Noise... Help

The very odd thing is that this is so intermittent. It was basically doing it from day one on March. First drive fantastic, second drive the same day creaking. After that, seemed to be mostly quiet, just the odd trip where it would make a slight noise. Just been up to Leeds and back last weekend and threw it round some country roads and it was completely quiet. Yet today it's creaking like a *******.

Just went out for a short test. Still doing it, but seemingly not as bad as yesterday. Sitting in neutral and turning the wheel, distinct creaks can be heard from the front of the car.

Booked in with Audi West London a fortnight on Wednesday. I'll be sure to return with an update - I hate it when people don't come back and say if an issue has been resolved or not! :)

I had the same problem, Went to Audi and they changed the shock towers. They told me it's a common issue

Last edited:
Good to know. I was wondering if it might be the strut top bearings. I might put that thought into their heads too. ;)

don't know, I guess it's lost in translation :readit:

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Good god that sounds awful !

Does this only affect cars with mag ride?

Today, of course, in the colder weather and rain, it's not making a sound. I'm hoping for hot sunny weather in a fortnight! Still, I do have the recording of the 'orrible noise.

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Well, it's with West London Audi now. I was worried that It wouldn't be able to demonstrate it because of the wet, cool weather, but we drove over a speed bump on their premises and it creaked and the service guy said "I don't think we need to drive any further". :) So they've got it for a couple of days and I'll report back...

They just rang to confirm that the driver's side top strut bearing is faulty and will be replaced tomorrow.

Reactions: veeeight
They just rang to confirm that the driver's side top strut bearing is faulty and will be replaced tomorrow.

Glad to hear, let us know if this fixes your problem. May take ours to West London Audi if our local dealer can't fix it soon!

Just to put this thread to rest, I picked the car up this morning after having the top strut mount and bearing replaced under warranty. All good, blissfully quiet over the bumps now. :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have this creaking on my rear left side. Going to check everything else possible before taking to audi but sounds like something suspension related. Will report back!

Mine does under the steering wheel close to the knee airbags. ****** awful after 8 years if trouble free motoring. I've an s3 SB for ref.

Same drives me mad, if I apply pressure on the plastic it goes away... But comes back again when I stop.

Just got my A3 back from Audi after I took it in for them to look at. When I went around corners the car creaked and groaned. Audi took the car out with me and heard the noise, with the engineer saying it sounded "horrible"!! The noise happened anywhere but more often when I turned to the left. Audi have come back saying that they need to order and replace the "drivers seat base". Hopefully this'll sort the horrible noise out.

That's how my rear shock sounds over bumps, call to Audi i guess then.

Does anyone have that sound clip somewhere to re-upload as the url is not working anymore. My 8V Saloon has a creak on bumpy roads in the rear drivers side and I reckon it could be whay steve roberts described above.

Thanks Steve, appreciated. It does sound quite a bit like the noise I'm experiencing but perhaps slightly duller. I'm wondering in real life does it sound almost like the noise is inside the car itself when in fact it's actually outside the cabin?