Ways to Achieve the Wet Look over a Synthetic Sealant

deuce

Reaction score
Just invested in the Werkstatt Acrylic Kit; my initial impressions are...wow :w00t: Not really been historically much of a detailer, but now I've bought a brand new car i thought it best I do justice to that paintwork.

But...being a cheeky, young, wippa-snappa type of guy (if I do say so myself!) I'd like the option of the wet, really wet, gangsta wet look every once in a while, when I'm on a mission to impress the ladies! I note that although you do get some wetness with the Werkstatt Acrylic, It's best asset is the clarity and depth you get.

Now, my understanding is that the wet look is best achieved with a Carnauba based products?!?! If that's the case and my prime detailing kit is the Werkstatt Acrylic kit, is it as easy as coating my top layer with a Carnauba product (I'm thinking Werkstatt Carnauba Trigger - might as well keep it in the family).

Will this give me the look I'm after? Any advice welcome.

I've also got the JEFFS Acrylic stuff as my 'undercoats'. I added depth and wetness by applying Zymol Carbon. All the cars in the link below have got Carbon as LSP. Only my car has the JEFFS underneath. So, my car has the JEFFS Prime, 2(?) coats of Trigger, four coats of Carbon and now 1 coat of Glasur. I just have not had the time to strip the previous layers off and re-apply fresh wax, and I'm not going to either until next spring. Some say you can begin to notice a hazing with all these layers, but I still get amazed after every wash.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45482

That thread may give you an idea, although you can never get a full flavour of the look from photos.

I'm now using Zymol Glasur and have to say that it gives an added wetness and deep glow over the Carbon. It's twice the price but I'm glad I got it.

Others will recommend their choices but I hope I've started you off!

Cheers,

JOHN:icon_thumright:

jr001 said:
I've also got the JEFFS Acrylic stuff as my 'undercoats'. I added depth and wetness by applying Zymol Carbon. All the cars in the link below have got Carbon as LSP. Only my car has the JEFFS underneath. So, my car has the JEFFS Prime, 2(?) coats of Trigger, four coats of Carbon and now 1 coat of Glasur. I just have not had the time to strip the previous layers off and re-apply fresh wax, and I'm not going to either until next spring. Some say you can begin to notice a hazing with all these layers, but I still get amazed after every wash.

That thread may give you an idea, although you can never get a full flavour of the look from photos.

I'm now using Zymol Glasur and have to say that it gives an added wetness and deep glow over the Carbon. It's twice the price but I'm glad I got it.

Others will recommend their choices but I hope I've started you off!

Cheers,

JOHN:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the response, mate. They're not exactly cheap products mind, but after viewing the pics in your link it's the exact look I'm after (the Black and Moro blue A4's look the business by the way).

Just wondering though if I also need to invest in a QD that's Zymol friendly. Im assuming the Acrylic Glos would be a 'definite no' as a QD once a coat or two of Zymol's on? Incidentally, what can I expect by way of durability? Am I opening up a can of worms by mixing Synthetic and Wax-based products?

Cheers

A QD for special occasions is Zymol Field Glaze, but make sure you've got a garage to apply it in as the wind will blow most of your £19 away!!!!!

An acrylic QD is prob not good on top of a carnauba layer, you're right. Keep it for your door checks and other areas like that though.

As for a universal QD, I'd say Meguiar's Last Touch, US Gallon £18 from PB. This is is good QD and it's the one many people use on a regular basis.

As for durability of carbon, single coat, which I've never had for long enough!!!, best get Richard to give you a figure on that. A few months anyway. But you'll have the JEFFS protection underneath anyway.

Hope this helps.

JOHN

Just a few thoughts to add (sorry for the late reply, did 33 hours on an Evo last week and had no time for the forums!)...

The Jeffs finish will get wetter and wetter with every coat... co it might be worth waiting until 4-5 are on before deciding whether a wax topper is needed...

...because once you add the wax, there is no going back, as you can't then add more coats of Trigger over the wax layer. Instead, you'd have to wait until the car was fully stripped back again, and in the meantime stick to the wax as your regular top up treatment.

However, if you want to go down the wax route, either Zymol Carbon or the Blackfire Ivory Carnauba will give you extra wetness by the bucket load. A single coat of either is good for at least 3 months, but if you top up often then durability won't be an issue. For a decent, great value QD suitable for use on wax finishes, then Last Touch gets my vote too.

:)

Thanks for the comments. Bearing in mind the above, I'll wait until I've topped up with 3/4 coats of Acrylic Trigger and assess the finish then before I make the wax commitment. Thanks again.

I've got around 5 coats of Jett on my A3 now - see the thread in this forum for details. For sure it's not as wet as a wax, but it's just been for 3 weeks without anything more than a hand wash and towel-dry and you can't argue with the durability - it still beads well except on the rear hatch where it's now starting to get a little flat. A top-up this weekend should rectify that.

Covenant said:
I've got around 5 coats of Jett on my A3 now - see the thread in this forum for details. For sure it's not as wet as a wax, but it's just been for 3 weeks without anything more than a hand wash and towel-dry and you can't argue with the durability - it still beads well except on the rear hatch where it's now starting to get a little flat. A top-up this weekend should rectify that.

I must admit though, the finish you achieved after your Swissvax treatment looks the business :thumbsup: ... and that there is my dilemma.

I'm sold on a Synthetic Sealant as a LSP, it seems the sensible solution. But in my mind it's also versatile in that you could change the visual dynamic with a Carnauba product quite easily and painlessly. Anyways, I've only put 3 coats of Acrylic Trigger on at the minute, so like Rich said I'll see how it pans out with another coat or two before making any commitment. Cheers mate.