1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ways of improving a PD130

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by smanning, Feb 10, 2003.

1. smanning

smanning New Member

[Feb 10, 2003]
    hello guys

As you all know I have the A4 Quattro 130, and although it is great, I am thinking of ways I can improve. I already have the Bromley tuning box on it, but can you get performance exhausts for diesels? When I had my scooby then it was an obvious improvement but I have never seen a diesel car with one.

Has anyone got one... does it make a difference? Mine has the twin exhaust (one each side) so I imagine it would be quite costly...

Any thoughts welcomed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. smanning

smanning New Member

[Feb 11, 2003]
    yes I agree. As with performance cars getting a bigger turbo means that it takes longer to spool up which means the advantages of lots of low down torque and the fuel gains associated with it are lost.

I dont really need more power.. its more about making the most of what I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So exhausts arent really an option then? Fair enough!
    I hqve used the Bromley box but havnt put it on the rollers to see what it is pushing out yet.. suppose that would be a start.....
  4. Snail2

Snail2 Member

[Feb 12, 2003]
    Being a turbo, cant you do stuff like fitting bigger intercoolers, etc, to improve the performance of the current turbo?
  5. DaveP

DaveP Member

[Mar 10, 2003]
    There are quite a few Ibiza's running APR/Revo chips who have ~180bhp (highest is 183bhp).
  6. evojkp

evojkp New Member

[Mar 11, 2003]
    I too have been looking to chip my A4 for a while but cannot get my head round which one to go for. I'm tempted by the Revo switchable setup, so that I can return to normal IF required. Also looking at possilby changing the car soon, due to it's lack of grunt. I came from an Evo6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif to this and I'm missing the kick ass accelaration. Maybe chipping the tractor will settle me down for a while.

Quick question for you..what's your mpg like. Mine is also a 130 quattro sport and I return 39/40 ish, pootling around local areas?

Cheers...John
  7. simmolee

simmolee New Member

[Mar 25, 2003]
    i run an a4 2.5v6 tdi. had 180bhp now has 210bhp plus masses of torque thanks to upsolute. Very reasonable price and exceptional home service. www.upsolute.com

go on give it a go!
  8. A4Steve

A4Steve Guest

[Mar 28, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    evojkp said:
    I too have been looking to chip my A4 for a while but cannot get my head round which one to go for. I'm tempted by the Revo switchable setup, so that I can return to normal IF required. Also looking at possilby changing the car soon, due to it's lack of grunt. I came from an Evo6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif to this and I'm missing the kick ass accelaration. Maybe chipping the tractor will settle me down for a while.

Quick question for you..what's your mpg like. Mine is also a 130 quattro sport and I return 39/40 ish, pootling around local areas?

Cheers...John

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be aware that Revo does not have any codes for an 02 A3 130PD.
  9. smanning

smanning New Member

[Mar 31, 2003]
    John

I know what you mean. I had a 2 imprezas, the last a chipped WRX .... loved everything but the cost of running it with the mileage I am doing. Have been scouting around looking at getting another, but to be honest, my PD130 is certainly rapid on the move, and with a tuning box you cant complain when getting fairly good performance and 600 miles out of a tank!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  10. GraemeC

GraemeC New Member

[Apr 2, 2003]
    Not been on here for ages but I might as well argue with you Pete.

My car is an 02 PD130 - chipped by REVO (when still APR) and you've driven it, so they must have codes!!
  11. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[Apr 2, 2003]
    Graeme, but Revo isn't APR, so APR may have the code, but Revo I have no idea about.

Can I just add I'm running a Golf PD130 at the moment, running some alpha code at the moment, wait for it.....
    185.9bhp @ 3880rpm
    324.9lb/ft @ 2479rpm
    will post more soon if anyones interested?
    There's a hell of alot to get out of these engines, just seems some people are having problems finding the right places to tweek.

Code or Implementation? you pays yer money you makes yer choice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  12. coupesport

coupesport New Member

[Apr 3, 2003]
    Would be very interested to hear more about the work on your 130.

Just one point though (and dont want to start a R/R knocking thread) but the torque figure you show i take it was from AmD's rollers which seem to give high torque figures - any plots though as i'd be interested in how it compares to my Revo'd 150 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

james.
  13. smanning

smanning New Member

[Apr 7, 2003]
    Arson Panda

would be interested to know more about your car... what has been done / how much etc.

I havent put mine on the rollers so dont know what it isproducing with the tuning box.... was told about 160-170, it certainly is lively but always keen to try something else.

please mail me details

steve.manning@baesystens.com

thanks
  14. Administrators

[Apr 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    coupesport said:

Just one point though (and dont want to start a R/R knocking thread) but the torque figure you show i take it was from AmD's rollers which seem to give high torque figures - any plots though as i'd be interested in how it compares to my Revo'd 150 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

james.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's all still early days on this new code, hence 'alpha',
    you got the graphs off yours to hand?
    I'll post some of mine after the next phase in a few weeks.
  15. 18ME

18ME Member

[May 31, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    smanning said:
    hello guys

As you all know I have the A4 Quattro 130, and although it is great, I am thinking of ways I can improve. I already have the Bromley tuning box on it, but can you get performance exhausts for diesels? When I had my scooby then it was an obvious improvement but I have never seen a diesel car with one.

Has anyone got one... does it make a difference? Mine has the twin exhaust (one each side) so I imagine it would be quite costly...

Any thoughts welcomed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do all A4 Quattro sports have twin exhausts with one either side, as I thought they are were together.
    I'm picking mine up Friday 6 June, very similar to yours except its an avant, hoping this will have the same as yours.
    Cheers
    Martin
  16. Administrators

[Jun 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    coupesport said:

james.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on then I'd love to see your latest figures! After the last few weeks I'm a diesel convert!
    The latest figures on the AmD PD130 look VERY promising indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  17. 18ME

18ME Member

[Jun 9, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Arson Panda said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    coupesport said:

james.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on then I'd love to see your latest figures! After the last few weeks I'm a diesel convert!
    The latest figures on the AmD PD130 look VERY promising indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get my A4 130 to same levels of performance then?

Did you receive the PM I sent you?
  18. Administrators

[Jun 9, 2003]
    Just Replying now......
  19. smanning

smanning New Member

[Jun 12, 2003]
    Hello 18ME

well you must have gone for a new TDI Q Sport in the end then.... how are you liking it???

BTW.... is anyone gonna publish or email me some more information regarding further improving mine??
  20. 18ME

18ME Member

[Jun 12, 2003]
    Cheers Christian, I bet you wouldn't like the Gardening though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here's a pic without the house then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  21. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 12, 2003]
    Thats one nice lookign A4. The new ones look so aggressive with bodykits.

Rich
  22. Drystone

Drystone Member

[Jun 12, 2003]
    They are aggressive looking, strangely enough more aggressive looking than the new S4. Doesn't seem right somehow.

Christian

PS 18ME, I could live with the gardening, just pay someone to do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  23. 18ME

18ME Member

[Jul 19, 2003]
    Old and boring is what I must be now then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif especially selling the quad. Maybe i'll have to get a motocross bike instead to regain my youth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the offer of the Bromley unit but I am booked in at AMD next week.
    Your car wouldn't have been any good to me as I know you've got no D.I.S and the reason for me buying the diesel is so I can instantly see how much money I'm saving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  24. smanning

smanning New Member

[Jul 21, 2003]
    thats ok, sold the Tuning Box straight away, and am having a remap this afternoon. Decided against the Revo upgrade in the end (on advice) as this guy apparently is fantastic and reckons he can do the job as well all be it not quite so flash.

Time will tell although if im not happy he will reverse his map and install Revo instead, so I cant complain.

I wish I had the DIS, but it wasnt important enough to put me off the car.

Hope you enjoy, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  25. bsharp

bsharp New Member

[Nov 7, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drystone said:
    18ME, every time you get a new motor (seems to be quite often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I always think of teh hard business ideas, when all I need is a cookshop!