Water pump question

JohnyD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a late 2000 facelift S3. Looking through the service history I can see it had a new cambelt kit and camshaft adjuster fitted at 65000 miles. All well and good, but it looks like they didn't do the water pump at the same time. The car is now up to 84000 miles and I was wondering if I should think about getting this changed, or just wait for it to go and then replace it? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

John.

as above! change it at the same time, you will be doubling labour costs otherwise

Right on, I was thinking I should probably get it done sooner rather than later.

Cheers for that.

John.

Well, it's good housekeeping to change the waterpump at the same time as the belts, but that boat has clearly sailed as you didn't own the car then.

So, you could always try the 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it approach'? It's not guaranteed to fail, just that quite a few people report on here when they do.

How long ago was 65000 miles? The longest I'd leave a belt on regardless of mileage is 5 years, so your belt might be due anyway, which justifies the pump being done too.

Otherwise, don't worry, and just enjoy your car.

The age old saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" definately applies here.

Sure, when you next come to do the timing belt, stick a water pump in it, but to strip the car to bits and fit a pump now is just pointless.

As Tooks says, the belt interval is 60k or 5 years, so you might well find its due a belt sooner rather than later anyway.

Ahaa good point, the belt was last done in december 2008 so that'll be 4 years this december. Think I'll wait and do it all together next year.

Thanks everyone.

John.