1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water pump drive belt adjustment?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by NineNails, Jul 25, 2010.

1. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Jul 25, 2010]
    Hi
    I had some time yesterday so I had a poke about at the engine of my new 1.8t and whilst doing an oil change I noticed that the very small belt from the power steering pump to the water pump is a little slack but I cant for the life of me see any adjustment for it. As it is at the moment it's ok but I can see it wouldn't take much to stop the water pump turning. Is there any adjustment to be had or is it a case of fitting a new belt?
    Also noticed there is no belt fitted to the air-con so that needs investigating as to why....
    On the upside I cured the misfire/hesitation I was getting at 3000rpm. It was a short piece of vac pipe off the intake manifold to a valve thing on the fuel rail.
    Si.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 26, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 25, 2010]
    Even with a new belt they are far from tight. As long as the pump is turning freely i wouldn't worry as the belt will still turn it without issue
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 25, 2010]
    As for the AC, its quite likely the compressor has siezed, and the belt has been removed, or burned thru and snapped.