1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

water pi@@ing from rad

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jay1232, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jay1232

jay1232 Member

hi guys another one of the horror heating storys im having
    pulled up today noticed a trickle of water coming from under the car at front tells me rads gone it aint gushing out just a trickle anyways ive changed the thermostat a few weeks ago when i checked the top hose on the rad to the engine was hot. when i checked the hose from the thermostat housing its cold. expanstion bottle is hot temps reading 90 no higher.
    just cant understand why that pipe is cold
    i changed the coolant distribution housing this monday as it had a crack in it
    now im at my whits end
    i can see my a3 on ebay v soon if i cannot sort
    if anyone can help id be gratefull
    thankyou for your time
    jay
  2. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

Tried flushing the rad? See if it's blocked?

Where is it actually leaking from? Rad itself? Or the hose connection?
  3. jay1232

jay1232 Member

unsure at mo had steam from top right of rad but the plastic stopping u see it i can see the hose that seems ok and no havnt flushed the rad but i shall tomorow just worried it was a dodgy thermostat i brought i never tested before fitting as a mate did it for me i watched tho make sure it went back together as we left the altonator on also leak is at bottom right of rad so seems its going down the rad (sorry about the spelling)
  4. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

Hmmm. Where you get the stat from?
  5. jay1232

jay1232 Member

moto factors old one was rusted around the edge
  6. S3featesV9

S3featesV9 Active Member

Ppl tend to have issues with non OEM Stats. Read through a few of the most recent thermostat threads. I haven't though, mines from ECP and it's fine so far.
  7. jay1232

jay1232 Member

so tomorow im buying a new rad..Also i belive your right S3featesV9 with the thermostat being ****....
    Can i take the old one totally out or cut the center sping/metal bits leaving the outer-part out the aftermarket stat
    Or will this cause problems i aint botherd about heat in car had none for 6 months..this fix is just a temp thing until i can get old of a OEM stat and refit it ?

Also brought and changing fan temp switch and the switch in the temp distribution housing on side of head
    any advice would be great doing it tomoz dinner
    thanks again
    :D