1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Meth Injection

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by D2NY G, Aug 16, 2012.

1. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

Gents,

Seen this abit on the audizine forum, just wondering if anyone knows any more or has had this fitted to a TDI?

I have no idea or further info on the subject tbh

Is it any good/bad, is the gainnoticeable ect?
  2. jjmurphy21187

jjmurphy21187 Tiptronic

Water Meth injection?? Having just googled this putting water into the engine doesn't sound like a good idea... is this tried and tested by anyone?? Difficult mod??
  3. RYes3

RYes3 Member

S3Alex has this on his S3! Sounds so wrong doesn't it but it's all good apparently!

I would love to know more about the workings of it!
  4. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member

Over in the 8L section, Welly, Westy, Prawn all run it on petrol cars . Badger 5 also runs it as well. When it works, it seems to be great.
  5. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

Well i was confused at start then people are sayin how good it is ect
  6. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

I got one too,cooler intake temps, higher octane in fuel so its like running on 103 fuel. Helps with timing aswell. I think its definitely worth it. Check out prawns thread. He shows the before and after results of it aswell
  7. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

Anyone running this on a TDI?
  8. jjmurphy21187

jjmurphy21187 Tiptronic

I'm slightly concerned by the "When it works..." part?
  9. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

ahhhhh it be alrite lol
  10. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member

It depends how you use it.

If you use it as an aid to the engine, it's not really an issue, unless you get problems like westy and your fmic pipes fill with water/meth..
    If you get it mapped in so the engine relies on it and then it goes wrong, well thats not such a nice thought.
  11. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

So it can be turned on and off so to speak?
  12. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member

I don't think their is a need to.

If you get the car mapped how you want it, then add the wmi (or fit wmi, but dont get it taken into account during mapping) then if it fails, the engine is still within safe timing limits etc..
    If you get it included as part of the mapping then if it goes wrong, the engine is lacking the added cooling etc that wmi brings, which is obviously a lot more risky.
  13. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

Right I get you, might have a trip down to stattler were I had my map done and see what he says
  14. Daemon

Daemon Member

15. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Snow Performance : FAQ diesel

Water/Methanol Injection Systems for Diesel Engines - Water/Meth Kits - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

Never used WMI on a diesel yet but have fitted plently on petrol cars... work well, you get consistant IAT's and in the case of petrol engines you 'can' add more timing... but of course with lower IATs then the ECU is happier anyway so non of the pull you would normally get when stuff gets hot...

Had a 380hp S3 on the dyno and was seeing less than 20deg IAT's under boost with jan/feb ambient temps... was running mid 30's without

Have used Devils Own kits and AEM kits on customer cars... Bill @ Badger5 uses Snow Performance on his 550hp Ibiza race car...

DO controllers are a bit flakey and service can be slow with them.... AEM kits have good controllers but seem to have a few issues with the check valves in thier nozzles but they have good service and Westy (in 8L) has had very good service from them as they are working to sort these issues out..

AEM kits imo seem the better choice...

This is worth a read too...
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/165442-wmi-safe.html

Max water/meth ratio is 50/50 realistically else it eats seals and is still flammable... (invisible flame)... Bill has done some quick tests to find a less flammable mix seeing as most installations need you to fit the tank in the boot of the car... the videos are in the link above..

I think Bill has run 70/30 water/meth with no noteable drop in IAT performance but obviously the more dilute the mix the less of an octane booster it is so less potential for running more timing...

Nozzle installation is a consideration and I have seen some pretty **** installs where nozzle isn't sat right and the fan of the spray has hit the sides of the 'boss' and will not atomise correctly... this will lessen its effectiveness of course..

<tuffty/>
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. D2NY G

D2NY G Well-Known Member

Cheers gents,

Some good things to have a read on i guess, will end up taking a trip to by local vw/audi tuner see what he has to say :)
  17. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

I remember S3 Big Andy & his attempt at this on his mofo S3 8P that just had mental mods/power before S3Alex came along, didnt go to well from what I heard hence he's not seen about anymore with the S3, cant recall if the engine went or not, think it was more of a **** swinging thing then, but now its been taken seriously & people are using the kits properly with considerations for safety/engine/power levels etc, be interested to see a tdi running it.

How often do you need to refill it though is the thing that would bother me, cant stand filling up with fuel let alone this aswell lol.