Water ingress and Cracked ECU cover

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Got round to checking my ECU box for water ingress. Seems like someone has had reason before to try and remove the ECU cover and box!

Whilst removing the screws I noticed that one corner was snapped off....yes in the corner under the window/wiper trim!

Snapped corner:

Missing screw:

Also, first thing I noticed was that the ECU was seated in upside down! Why? Not that it would cause any problems but if you're working on something then things should go back how they were removed in my eyes!

All the electrics inside the ECU box are dry and clean, no corrosion evident:

I then noticed that the ECU box base was wobbling when pressed side to side. So I removed the three retaining nuts to check the seal into the cabin. Low and behold, I found that some numpty who has removed the base before had trapped a thick red wire between the box and metal work leaving a gap!

Trapped wire, you can make out the indentation just below my finger:

So all wires kept out of the way and base reseated and secured. The rubber seal underneath felt ok all the way round. Without removing the wiper linkage, I couldn't fully remove the base but it now sits flush.

I have hopefully solved the water ingress problem into the drivers footwell. I will place a fan heater in there tonight, overnight, to dry the carpet out. I will try and remove the seat and carpet next weekend.

So now I just have to try and solve all the DTC's that keep coming back that I was hoping to be due to the water ingress.

What is the best way to get to the electrics under the dash to check them over? Remove the clocks?

Cheers,

Dan

ive just has a simular problem the foam had dropped down into my car letting in 10 litres of water , good job i had a wetvac that got rid of loads , i had to take my drivers seat out as the sound deadning is 1 to 2 inch thick and soaks it all up , i took door trims of and pulled carpet up it was like a paddling pool , its a must taking the seat out or it will never dry.good luck.

looking at the pics on your link is just like what i did exactly a few weeks ago ha ha , even the foot heater ,that dried it out , fingers crossed.

Cheers guys,

Didn't get round to placing heater in last night. Will do it tonight. Yes I will definitely get the seat lifted next weekend and dried properly.

Dan

Did you sort it mate , with all this rain im sure its had a test :blackrs4:

Well I had a good feel around yesterday under the dash and around the foot pedals....all dry. Doesn't mean its not still getting in under the carpet though....will hopefully tell once i've got the carpets up.

However, the ABS/Brake! lights haven't been on since a few days ago which is good news as it was daily! So hopefully drying out.

Dan

Well, well, well! Looking through the Audi wallet today and found a receipt dated 22/08/13 hidden. Work carried out by QRSport (like a vast majority of the service history), titled: WATER INGRESS REPAIR; Replace Oil Sensor, Fix EPS (think it should be ESP) Warning, Fix Electric Seat and Fix and Make good Engine Cover!

Total came to £374.51. Parts was £76.09!

So it must of been QRS who has mis-seated the ECU box base in an attempt to repair the source of the leak? Wonder if they had bodged any wiring anywhere to 'Fix' the electric problems?

Shame I didn't spot this BEFORE I bought the car a month ago! A month before I bought it this work was been carried out then when we viewed and it started to rain the guy said "I'm putting it back in the garage because I don't want it getting dirty in case you don't buy it, oh and it doesn't leak, I just don't want to polish it again"

Oh well, nothing I can do about it now but at least water ingress can be confirmed and hence the electrical problems I have now :-(