Water in Lights

coach

Reaction score
2008 A6 2.7tdi Quattro Le-Mans

Anyone got water in their rear light clusters? after rain then sunshine I can see water running down the light inside the reversing lense. Is this just condensation due to the temperature change or are they taking in water when it rains.

Known fault or not?

thanks.

Known fault.
lots have been replaced under warranty.

Depends what it is and if the car is still under warranty of course ;)

Edit - didn't realise you were the OP oops ;)

Last edited:
Very slim chance and depends on loyalty to the brand

Known fault.
lots have been replaced under warranty.

Anyone on here got proof of replacement under warrantee? Audi are denying knowing of any problem with the lights letting in water

I'll get it tomorrow but you already stated you don't have warranty.

I'll get it tomorrow but you already stated you don't have warranty.

I know I dont have warrantee but they are denying any problem at all and say they have NO RECORD of replacing ANY light units under warrantee. If I can show them that they have acknowledged the problem then maybe they will do something about mine. In the mean time it is booked into the stealers a week on friday for them to take a look.

Well I'm on my 7th pair due to the issue so I'm not sure what they're talking about - another fella I know has had 10+ pairs.

I can provide the reg numbers if needed to show Audi.

I had a few replacement sets on my pre-facelift C6 too. Not as many as Chris above, or Jim who he is alluding to, though :)

MF.

I had a few replacement sets on my pre-facelift C6 too. Not as many as Chris above, or Jim who he is alluding to, though :)

MF.

The reply from Audi

"Further to our recent conversation regarding your Audi A6 Saloon.
I would like to confirm that once the vehicle has been into your local Audi Centre for diagnosis and if a fault has been found, the Audi Centre Network are empowered by Audi UK, to provide support if necessary; a decision to give goodwill would come from the local Audi Centre directly.

I am unable to comment regarding posts on the forums you have visited, however, I can confirm that the issue you have raised has not been part of a recall action.

I hope this answers the questions outlined in your email, however, if I can be of any further assistance, please contact me on the details below."

Kind Regards

Ashley Sorrell
Customer Relations Advisor
Audi UK
T 0845 7699 777
E Customer.Services@audi.co.uk

In your case it is goodwill but they are definitely a warranty item :)

If I can show them that they have acknowledged the problem then maybe they will do something about mine.

They do know/acknowledge...

TPI 2005601/14 Steamed-up headlamps and rear lamps, all Audi

Extract from said document...

This phenomenon is physically related and can therefore occur on every headlamp, fog lamp or rear lamp.
A replacement of the headlamp is not permitted, as this is no technical fault in the sense of warranty.

So either people with loyalty to dealer/goodwill at per dealer discretion must be only getting as my local Audi dealer would have none of it...

I have no warranty, would not let me even buy warranty on a full Audi Service history car when I purchased from indie in Aug 11 after week or so of having it..

I originally sealed units where I thought air/water getting into cause condensation with clear silcone sealant ... this work for about 3-6 months...

Now I've instead drilled some holes in rear tail lights and locations were water can seep out but not in and holes not visible as they on outer plastic shell of lamp unit on it's backside and reflectors in side unit hide... this letting air in so no condensation occur... So far so good...

** Do with caution, be prepared to replace if modding **

Last edited:
In your case it is goodwill but they are definitely a warranty item :)

Update
Car was at Audi today for the problem. Even after all the rain recently they were found to be bone dry inside. Suprised but happy with that. Got to hand it to the local dealer. They inspected them, washed and hoovered my car and left a small tin of sweeties on the front seat and all for NO CHARGE!

Good result all round

Hey there, I've had around 8+ sets fitted to mine under warranty / goodwill and ALL have leaked like a seive after a short while I'm afraid.

Itsa known issue for which they seem to have no fix.

Gup ( as posted above ) came up with the drilling method, which I have taken onboard.

Take the lights off the car and use tissue paper or similar to remove excess water, then follow up with a hairdryer for 20 mins.....once the condensation has been removed, drill around 12 4mm holes or thereabouts along the underside of the lights to let the airflow and no further problem.

Here's a thread link for your attn...

A6 Rear light cluster ( 07))

Reactions: gupsterg