Water getting into bootlid

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Ok so I noticed my reverse lights had condensation so I pulled back the cover behind them and it's all wet in there, bulb holder included.

My access flap things behind them are very loose (do forgive me :)) rather than fitting snug tight to the boot lid so think this is how the water is getting in. Really bad design flaw by Audi.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407174700499402What can I do to fix this? Really annoying

Brennan, it may be the seals around the lights, I had this problem prior to retro-fitting my led's.

Brennan, it may be the seals around the lights, I had this problem prior to retro-fitting my led's.

I believe that this was a recall item a while back. Water got in and leaked down inside the boot and ruined the sound system amp, so be careful an make sure it's all dry in there. Sorry I can't be more help, I read something about it but can't quite remember.

The early B8's had leaky rear light seals. The bottom of the boot lid can fill with water and when you open the boot lid fully the water can sometimes go down the boot supports. I'm sure this a major cause of damage to audio amps and radio's. I had a similar issue and when I removed the plastic plug on the bottom of the boot lid lots of water dribbled out.

I believe that this was a recall item a while back. Water got in and leaked down inside the boot and ruined the sound system amp, so be careful an make sure it's all dry in there. Sorry I can't be more help, I read something about it but can't quite remember.

You're right there was a recall for the rear light seals,they did them on my B8 S4 when it went in for service ,must be 2 years ago.

Brennan, if your car hasn't been kept in the dealer network during the warranty period, then this may not have been done. With it being out of warranty now, I doubt they'll entertain the idea of fixing it for free, but there'll be a modified repair kit which you could buy and fit yourself, I bet it'll be easy.

I would call Audi customer service/go to a dealer & ask for details they hold on your car. My dealer printed the one for my car out for me. Then you'll know if it's been done or not & take it from there. If it's not been done & your car is in the VIN range of vehicles that should have had it done, they might do it - especially a job like this, it's small and quick.

So I've just contradicted myself!

Cheers for the info guys. Im going back up to Belfast Audi tomorrow evening so i'll get them to look at it, im on very good terms with the dealership so hopefully i can get it done.

I had this issue on my 2010 B8 S4. Took it to two dealers and contacted Audi CS directly and they all swear blind that this wasn't a recall issue on my car Ended up paying for a new inner LED cluster, fitting it myself and drying out the boot lid with a hot air gun. Been fine ever since then thank goodness.

I had this on mine. I fixed it by fitting a fibre washer used in plumbing accessories where the original rubber washer had perished. Attached it with a tiny amount of silicone sealant. Dried the light unit out then re- fixed. 2 years on no leaks or condensation. Cost me nothing as I had the washers in my toolbox. Cost pence though and come in lots of sizes but ones used communally on domestic items will be fine for the job.

I had this on mine. I fixed it by fitting a fibre washer used in plumbing accessories where the original rubber washer had perished. Attached it with a tiny amount of silicone sealant. Dried the light unit out then re- fixed. 2 years on no leaks or condensation. Cost me nothing as I had the washers in my toolbox. Cost pence though and come in lots of sizes but ones used communally on domestic items will be fine for the job.

Where abouts is the offending rubber washer? Maybe its the same on mine?

Presuming the avant is the same in terms of fixing the light unit to the body work.

Mine was the rubber seal around where the metal bolt with plastic shaft attached the unit to the car. Unscrewed from the access panels on the boot. The rubber washer around the thread where the bolt fixes too was perished. Will only take 5 mins max to take off and investigate if its the same process from avant to yours.

Resurrecting an old thread here, apologies for that.

I am having the same issues mate, did you ever get this resolved and if so what did you do?

When I open the boot lid fully water comes in through the cut outs in the underside of the boot lid (the cut outs that give you access to the light on the boot lid). I changed the seal with a replacement from Isaac Agnews but the same thing happened again and now it's started on the other side too.

Trying to work out of the water can get in somewhere else or if I fitted the seal wrong which I don't believe I have.

I have the same thing on my 2008 B8!

Just opened the boot to remind myself what I'd been carting around and water was pouring out of: the courtesy light, the power boot switch and going down the edges and dripping onto the "parcel shelf". I half shut the boot and must have had a good mug full pour out.

Taken the inside plastic cover off with the intention of getting in the boot and having the mrs hold the hose pipe over the boot to investigate. Water had pooled inside the plastic cover too with brown staining on the upper part opposite the rear wiper... I haven't used the rear washer though in a long time, but lots of rain yesterday.

I recently removed and refitted the wiper motor and wondered if it was that, but this thread has given me good direction on what to look at next!