water dripping underneath the expension tank 2.4 v6 2002

scanny1

Reaction score
when the car gets to tempeture 90 degrees ive heard hissing of water under the bonnet, and found that the water is dripping on to the exhaust .so i replaced the expansion tank and cap but its still doing the same could it be that there air in the system still .i did bleed it a few weeks ago after replacing water pump

Air wouldnt cause a water leak.Check all the joints you can get to .Staining is often a clue .How much are you losing?

but the water is coming from the bottom of the expansion tank where the overflow is ,but it does not over heat .im not losing alot of water but its shouldnt be happening should it really

If you cant find the leak try some Radseal .Works for me and seems to last

I had a leak near my expansion tank on my b5 rs4. It turns out that it was leaking from the T piece just infront of the tank. Easy fix.

start it from cold and take the expansion tank cap off.... see with your hand over the top if theres any likely pressure coming out if so you could be looking at head gasket if the water is coming from the overflow pipe.... get a mirror and a torch to see for defo were its coming from