1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Damaged ECU

Del Jun 4, 2007

1. Del

Del New Member

Hi,
    I have a 98 2.4. Water has damaged my ECU which is probably beyond repair. It looks like I might have no option but to buy a brand new part for £800.
    It's a tiptronic box which makes a second hand part hard to come by.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks!

2. SwoopingMonkey

SwoopingMonkey New Member

Hi Del,

Have a look on ebay, search for 'audi a4 ecu' and you'll find several for sale at any given time for a fraction of the new price

Just make sure the part number exactly matches the one from your car, it's looks like an easy swap and a fraction of the cost of a new one (search the Audi DIY articles). I think the new ECU would need matching to the immobiliser once you've swapped it, if you want to avoid dealer prices there is a cable and software available from Vagproducts.co.uk for £50 which I used to rematch my keys to my immobiliser on my '98 2.8 Auto Tiptronic which might do the trick - check them out

There are also several dedicated Ebay shops such as 'Audis Only' that are worth a look and supply a limited time warranty with their ECUs. Contact them and tell them your part number, you never know!

Also you could try breakers yards - but probably no warranty from them I suppose

Cheers

Rob

3. mwarrey

mwarrey Member

There are places that can repair ECU's have a look around my be worth a try?