Water coming from heater vents.

Steve E

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new here and have joined to ask for help.
I have had my 97 D2 A8 2.8 FWD for over two years.

Recently I have been getting water dripping and splashing out of the heater vents under the dash.
Drivers side carpet is pretty much soaked, passenger side only seems to get splashes when I corner hard to the right.

I've been underneath with car on ramps to try and see a drain pipe, but only getting water drips from between the metal heat shield and body.

Also I pulled the plastic pipes off under the steering wheel and tried to reach inside the heater body (could see the air con matrix) but could not find a pool of water or get in far enough to feel a drain.

Someone has told me I need to take the heater out from the top, under the bonnet to get to the drain hole.

So can anybody who has already cured this problem help me?

Steve E

Welcome to the site.

Damn thats a crappy fault & location to get to aswell huh

Lot's of people including me have had this issue. Although my local Audi dealership said they had never heard of it there is plenty of documents on the web of how to clear the tubes with an air pipe.

Have a look on audiworld for the instructions.

Lot's of people including me have had this issue. Although my local Audi dealership said they had never heard of it there is plenty of documents on the web of how to clear the tubes with an air pipe.

Have a look on audiworld for the instructions.

Thanks for that!
A bit of a search revealed a link to Audipages!

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/heatac/exaporatordrains.html

Simple when you know what your looking for!

I had all the trim off on the drivers side (seems the right side suffers worse?) but never noticed any orange drains.
So I think a bit more trim needs to come off, as it looks like they are behind the centre console side panels!

Cheers!!
Steve