Watch out for old people on the roads!

PanamaS3

Reaction score
So on Monday an 80 year old driving a large pick up truck had a case of whiskey throttle and decided to drive over the front of my car in stationary traffic...well that and the fact that he didn't or couldn't look or see properly, or engage brain etc. To add insult to injury, his grandson turns up at the scene...then the Police...he says he wants to "share responsibility" so we pay for our owns cars damage to which I say categorically "no...it was your fault"...we move to side of the road and the grandson then says to me "don't worry, this happens all the time here, my Grandad is old, he couldn't see properly, it was his fault". Then the Police want an answer on whose fault it is and the @*@*hole says "it was his fault...he drove into me...his car is less in the lane than me...we will fight you in court....this will take months....blah blah ****** boiling over.
Thankfully not major damage, but un-driveable just a total hassle to sort out and maybe lose in court and pay more insurance going forwards.....sigh....Audi offered to right it off so I could get a new car but it would majorly impact my insurance cost...and with a good chance of losing the case I'm tempted....

Attachments

• accident 18Jan2016_calle principal to corredor sur.JPG
    accident 18Jan2016_calle principal to corredor sur.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 370
Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
So on Monday an 80 year old driving a large pick up truck had a case of whiskey throttle and decided to drive over the front of my car in stationary traffic...well that and the fact that he didn't or couldn't look or see properly, or engage brain etc. To add insult to injury, his grandson turns up at the scene...then the Police...he says he wants to "share responsibility" so we pay for our owns cars damage to which I say categorically "no...it was your fault"...we move to side of the road and the grandson then says to me "don't worry, this happens all the time here, my Grandad is old, he couldn't see properly, it was his fault". Then the Police want an answer on whose fault it is and the @*@*hole says "it was his fault...he drove into me...his car is less in the lane than me...we will fight you in court....this will take months....blah blah ****** boiling over.
Thankfully not major damage, but un-driveable just a total hassle to sort out and maybe lose in court and pay more insurance going forwards.....sigh....Audi offered to right it off so I could get a new car but it would majorly impact my insurance cost...and with a good chance of losing the case I'm tempted....

What a total **** mate!!

I'll tell you something though a few members could take a leaf out of your book as far as taking things in your stride. If I had a pound for every drama queen on here who's bleated on about the most minor scuffs...............

Hope you get it sorted soon buddy :)

It's a sad fact that whilst youngsters continue to get the bad press, there's an awful lot of elderly drivers that quite frankly shouldn't be on the roads...............or at the very least should have a re-test!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SW14NY'S and PanamaS3
cheers mate....I must have the patience of Mother Teresa because 2 weeks ago my wife's Q5 was hit by one of those armoured money trucks. Bloke was edging out of a side turning....my wife saw it, so she sped up to get past the truck before he moved into her lane (cos in Panama no-one ever stops or slows down first), and boom! she got hit.
They lied to the Police saying it was my wife who crashed into them.....then they had to go and empty the truck...and when they came back they changed their story and said "we never touched her...she already had the damage on her car" D'oh!!!!!!!! Policeman said "ok, put the vehicles side by side"....and low and behold with no help from Sherlock Holmes the damage exactly matched the pipe on the side of the truck that did the damage. So Policeman said "you guys are lying" and filed his report. My wife went to court....they didn't show up...and they are contesting....
So me AND the wife are now getting courtesy cars.....jeeez...

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
About as helpful as a chocolate tea pot given its already happened...but thats why I swear by Dashcams...feel naked without one now...

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Reactions: Wondering Soul and PanamaS3
cheers mate....I must have the patience of Mother Teresa because 2 weeks ago my wife's Q5 was hit by one of those armoured money trucks. Bloke was edging out of a side turning....my wife saw it, so she sped up to get past the truck before he moved into her lane (cos in Panama no-one ever stops or slows down first), and boom! she got hit.
They lied to the Police saying it was my wife who crashed into them.....then they had to go and empty the truck...and when they came back they changed their story and said "we never touched her...she already had the damage on her car" D'oh!!!!!!!! Policeman said "ok, put the vehicles side by side"....and low and behold with no help from Sherlock Holmes the damage exactly matched the pipe on the side of the truck that did the damage. So Policeman said "you guys are lying" and filed his report. My wife went to court....they didn't show up...and they are contesting....
So me AND the wife are now getting courtesy cars.....jeeez...

Well lets hope that's your bad run with cars out the way for the next.....................lets say 50 years to tie you over!! lol

I like to think I'm pretty laid back too but I'm not sure I'd take too kindly to someone lying to my face in front of the police :gun2:

Reactions: PanamaS3
About as helpful as a chocolate tea pot given its already happened...but thats why I swear by Dashcams...feel naked without one now...

Hope you get it sorted mate.
thanks....and yes you are right....I had never thought they were for anything but providing YouTube with funny videos of cars/trucks/people having near misses or drunk people crossing a busy road....but I think in Panama I should get one because the mentality of people here behind a wheel is:
1. Me first
2. Me second
3. Me third
4. No indication
5. No looking
6. My car is a horse and goes wherever it wants
7. Lie lie lie and never accept responsibility
8. Take as many women as possible to father children with....ok I'd better stop now...

Reactions: DrEskimo and Simon L
That said the owner driver of this has just seen his 71st 20th of January...

P1000471q_zps4e2c7c6b.jpg

Gotta laugh... :racer:

Reactions: Nilz, jojo, voorhees and 1 other person
That said the owner driver of this has just seen his 71st 20th of January...

P1000471q_zps4e2c7c6b.jpg

Gotta laugh... :racer:
happy birthday for today!!
just make sure you keep those eyes checked, use the loo before you set off and keep your ears peeled for the proximity sensor warnings! lol

Reactions: jojo, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Last year a member of this forum (he had a bright-green Audi at the time...) jumped in along side me in an ragtop Audi S5 at an organised by Sandra (thank you...) Audi Dealer day at Stoke Audi; 2-miles into the exploration of the S5's talents his comment was "****! My grandad don't drive like this" and yet we'd only just begun... He didn't say much for the rest of the remaining journey, neither did he join me again...

I don't get overtaken much...:racer:

Reactions: Nilz, Wondering Soul, jojo and 2 others

****,****...Mate l would have gone BERSERK...If it was me.....Audi offered to write it off???...WTF.....Decisions,Decisions....

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Simon L
****,****...Mate l would have gone BERSERK...If it was me.....Audi offered to write it off???...WTF.....Decisions,Decisions....
Yes, well I did kind of swear a bit at him after i had used the can opener to get open the drivers door which I'm sure he appreciated. Problem is they all speak ******' Spanish here! But thankfully **** is universally understood....as is pointing at his eyes then mine then his etc lol
I just got the insurance repair quote from Audi and its for just over 24% of what I paid for the car....but I did ask for a cheeky full detailing as part of the repair but that was only 2% of the cost! Its all rather inconvenient...I want an RS3 now....there I said it....

Reactions: jojo and Jassyo06
Yes, well I did kind of swear a bit at him after i had used the can opener to get open the drivers door which I'm sure he appreciated. Problem is they all speak ******' Spanish here! But thankfully **** is universally understood....as is pointing at his eyes then mine then his etc lol
I just got the insurance repair quote from Audi and its for just over 24% of what I paid for the car....but I did ask for a cheeky full detailing as part of the repair but that was only 2% of the cost! Its all rather inconvenient...I want an RS3 now....there I said it....
Knew it mate,lol ye will get one all in due time all credit to yourself l would have ended up in cell if it had happened to my car
Sepang then lol