Washing your cab (not your taxi)

irnbru

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I am shortly to be the happy owner of an A4 S-Line convertible with the full S-Line body kit and leather after much searching for the right car. :jump: I should have it this week (I'll post a picture when I get it). I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I can't sleep at night and my work is struggling as a result:sadlike:. Don't tell the boss though.

One thing I'd like to know is what you use to wash the canvas roof on a regular basis? Are there certain shampoos or other products which can do it damage or discolour it? What kind of implement would you use to clean it, a lambswool mit, a sponge, a hard brush or something harder like a brillo pad :no:. I don't want to damage it obviously.

And in terms of protecting it on an occassional basis, what kind of products do you use as an alternative I guess to wax and polish for bodywork?

I know that these questions will sound stupid but I've only ever had convertibles as hire cars and I've never actually cleaned one:shrug:

I await my punishment for failing to find the answers using search :sorry:

Last edited:
Hi mate, have a look in the detailing section, there are some recommendations by a user called Jimmeh. You will find it useful.

Excellent thanks. I never noticed the detailing section.

Cheers

I use this
http://www.elkparts.com/car-care/exterior/renovo-canvas-hood-care-black-kit-c.p2575.html you can get a cheaper alternative from Auto Glym which other people say is good but the beading you get from the one i use is amazing.

Congrats on your purchase. Very interested to see some pics

I used the Auto Glym to clean my Mum's old Cab when she sold it - The roof was filthy, but came up great.

Sooooo jealous mate - I wanted one but we have a 12 month old boy so....:sorry:

The user manual says just use water and a soft brush (brushing with the grain in a rearward direction). When I first got mine I had it valeted and they used Renovo products to proof the hood, same as pjmspeedy above.

As a side issue I got mine just as the summer was ending and it doesn't matter how mad I think I am putting the roof down there is always another convertable out in the same open top mode (we must all be mad!).

Last edited:
I nearly had the roof off yesterday at lunch time but as I was only going to the shop which is about a mile from work I thought better of it.

Can't wait for the Sunshine to come back......

I use a vacuum cleaner and a pressure hose (water only), always get good results

I nearly had the roof off yesterday at lunch time but as I was only going to the shop which is about a mile from work I thought better of it.

Can't wait for the Sunshine to come back......

Had the roof down on Saturday, it was baltic! Only because we'd bought some furniture... had to transport a 6ft shelving unit home, so only way to do it was roof down! Cabrios are practical as well as stylish! :laugh:

Thanks for the info guys. I'm getting the car delivered tomorrow. It is in the nice reserved colour of bright red (not sure which Audi red though).

Once it's clean I'll take some pictures. I'm dying to take a picture with the roof down and my dog in the back for some reason :uhm:.

reds always a safe bet ! lol

DSC00006.jpg

I use a vacuum cleaner and a pressure hose (water only), always get good results

Had the roof down on Saturday, it was baltic! Only because we'd bought some furniture... had to transport a 6ft shelving unit home, so only way to do it was roof down! Cabrios are practical as well as stylish! :laugh:

Don't think your meant to use a pressure hose on them mate - said it in the manual!

I got the car this morning and I'm delighted with it. I was driving in thick fog with the roof down (at 7.30am).... just because I could :)

First impressions are good, its had its first wash and it feels really nice to drive and handles well. On the downside I have started to become very smug indeed :cool:

Thumbs up from me :icon_thumright:

I got the car this morning and I'm delighted with it. I was driving in thick fog with the roof down (at 7.30am).... just because I could :)

First impressions are good, its had its first wash and it feels really nice to drive and handles well. On the downside I have started to become very smug indeed :cool:

Thumbs up from me :icon_thumright:

Fair play to ya pal!! Lol

:pEnjoy. Appologies for the photo quality. The sun was starting to go down so they're a bit dull.

232323232%7Ffp7327%3A%3Enu%3D3266%3E5%3B2%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D337455796%3A329nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73282%3Enu%3D3266%3E5%3B2%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D337455796%3B329nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73284%3Enu%3D3266%3E5%3B2%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D3374557973329nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73264%3Enu%3D3266%3E5%3B2%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D3374554578329nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73279%3Enu%3D3266%3E5%3B2%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D3374554579329nu0mrj

Last edited:
thats the dogs mate, thats the red i would of liked, a credit to ya.
any plans for any mods ??????

I like in red, when I was buying mine I couldn't find a red one in the spec I wanted.. so I bought a black one... just love it (although not as much as the DTM), I try to get the roof down as often as possible.. as long as the heater works I am always snug...

very nice bud....get yourself a wind deflector and with that fitted and the heater on with the roof down you'll be as snug as a bug :)

Heater doesn't work with the roof down... not in mine anyway... (is that some kind of retrofit?) wish it did though living in (not so) sunny Scotland

Heater doesn't work with the roof down... not in mine anyway... (is that some kind of retrofit?) wish it did though living in (not so) sunny Scotland

I think you better get yours checked out then? Hang on...have you actually tried turning the heater on once the roof is down? The climate 'remembers' the last setting it was on when the roof was down so if it was switched off (being the middle of summer for example) the last time the roof was down it will remember this and revert to this setting when you put the roof down! I bet this is your problem mate lol