1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washer Jets

TJM22 Mar 21, 2014

1. TJM22

TJM22 Member

Whilst counting down the days, began to wonder little bits about the car.

One thing being the washer jet type. What are they?

Fan type or normal type?

2. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

I don't know what the difference is as such... but there are 6 jets of water in total, 3 from each side in a fan shape, if that helps. The rear just has 2 jets pointing along the wiper that rotate with the wiper.

3. TJM22

TJM22 Member

The 'fan' i am referring to is the mist like spray in a fan shape, so no distinct 'jets'.

But like you said it is 6 jets, 3 for each nozzle.

Thanks ;)

4. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

Jets, not a fan type spray on the A3.

5. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

I do wonder why they have stopped using the fan type - I much prefer them to the jets. The fan type on our mk5 golf is far better for coating the screen.

6. Andy1608

Andy1608 Active Member

Never thought I'd get involved in a conversation about washers but must admit I prefer the fan type too

TJM22 likes this.
  7. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

Are the fan type heated? I wonder if this is why they swapped back?

8. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon

They both can be heated as I had the mist, fan, ones in my Focus. I must say that the ones on mine, like the tyre pressures were, poorly adjusted...

9. Schizophonic

Schizophonic Well-Known Member

I hate adjusting them. One jet just shoots over the car.

10. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

Useful for tailgaters :p

JohnM100 likes this.
  11. Blu-iTT

Blu-iTT Member

Ah, I remeber the days in my mates old Mini (Austin not BMW) we used to adjust the washer jets to soak cyclists / pedrestrians, simple pleasures. Now all grown up (old) and would not get away with it! :whistle2:

12. Stevo985

Stevo985 Member

I also have a mk 5 golf (for another 2 weeks when I get my A3)

I like the washers, but I've had to replace them twice. So I'm on my third set in 4 years.
    Maybe I'm an anomaly, but perhaps if that's a common problem it might be that the fan type are vulnerable to breaking or wearing out, and the jets are more durable?

I have no evidence to back that up, just thinking aloud :)

13. andy203

andy203 181 BHP

I can also remember the old days (giving my age away now) when you got just two jets of water one for each side that was controlled by your left foot pumping on a rubber ball type thing on the floor, the harder you pushed the further up the screen the jets 'dribble' of water would get....

$_14.jpg

Prefer the jets or fan type of todays cars.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

Bloody hell. Ball type pump on the floor, now that is going back some !!!

I do remember the washer jets on the (Austin) Mini - Chrome things, with a hex mounting, and a ball/cylinder with a hole in it !

[​IMG]

15. Blu-iTT

Blu-iTT Member

Thats it - give it a 1/4 turn and one jet in the centre of the screen and one to soak the cyclist / pedestrian !