Was anyone unimpressed wit their S3, but then grew to love it?

leave1

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I'm in the market for a new car, and have a very specific budget and set of requirements. Strangely, the S3 seems to be the most likely candidate. The problem is, after a test drive, I was left really empty about the car.

I currently have a BMW 430D XDrive M Sport Gran Coupe, so it's a clear downgrade to go to the Audi (no offence to any S3 owners, I'll be one of you soon).

My problem was how soulless the car felt in general. I didn't like the interior at all, it felt like I was in a Renault Clio, there was nothing premium about it, even with the sports seats and the Virtual Cockpit.

My problem is that this is the only car that has all the features I want in a vehicle, and I'm wondering if anyone got theirs, felt the same as me, but then grew to love it?

I test drove mine in traffic and only got to put my foot down for very short periods, and it was with a salesman in the car. My problem was that my BMW felt sharper, faster, more fun, and ultimately, just better in every regard. However, I accept that driving one car for a year and another for 15 minutes in traffic is hardly a comparison.

So yeah, my main question is did anyone come from a similar car to me, were they at first disappointed, and did they then go to love the S3?

Thanks!

Hmmm, dunno really as only a few weeks in to my S3, but I also came from a quite different car, so will chime in with some thoughts.
My last car was a Mercedes CLS 350 AMG Line, and was a fantastic, luxurious cruiser. The S3 is a very different car, but I am don't think of it as a downgrade, per se, even if it is a couple of 'classes' lower in the range.....

Where the CLS was a hugely capable mile-muncher, it was a 5m long car that was noticeable as such. It was refined (even for diesel!), effortless and a really elegant place to be. The S3 is a very different car, but I really like the difference - back in the day, I loved Renault hot hatches, so perhaps this is a mid-life crisis car for me :p As I said, I haven't had the S3 for long, but it puts a massive smile on may face every single time I go to get in, and this is without even really having had any opportunity to open that taps yet, either, as still running in a little. I find the cabin a very nice place to be - yes, there are a few places that the Mercedes was liberally covered in soft leather, and the S3 has plastics or faux, but......

I will post back in a few months time if my feelings towards the S3 have changed, but - for me - I am very happy; not better, not worse, just different :)

Reactions: AL_B
With all the negative comments you’ve just listed im unsure why you are still even considering it. You just clearly don’t like the car, you can’t and shouldn’t force yourself to like something. Why don’t you look at an 140i or 240i? They must be In the same bracket as the s3?

Reactions: TDI-line, James.B8, S32B and 3 others
IMO hard to love an S3, easy to respect and be impressed at its ability to cover ground very quickly in all conditions. It is very efficient in a Germanic kind of way but does mean it does most things pretty well. The real reason for an S3 is the performance that is so easily accessible and usable, if you didn't give it some larrup on the test then you probably missed the main reason for it.
By the sounds of your post you already know not to buy it, if you really don't like the interior then buy something else. Ironically I think the interior in the S3 is way better than any BMW 1/3 series which goes to show you can't please everybody all of the time.

Reactions: TDI-line, Milnesafc, James.B8 and 3 others
We're all different and like different things thankfully.
I came from a larger car, an S5 Sportback, to the S3 Saloon.
I've yet to see a car in the same price bracket like-for-like beat Audi on interiors.
I'm sure you didn't find the S3 as quick purely due to the test drive conditions. My S5 was a huge surge of supercharged power, whereas the S3 more of a kick in the kidneys as it's lighter.
I've had my S3 10 months......... am I in love with it?, no but I like a lot of things about it and don't regret getting it. Did I prefer my last car?......... yes but it was too big for our needs and was up for a change as I tend to get rid within the 3 years of warranty.

I've had mine now since May, I came from a modified Focus ST mk2. I find the S3 deeply impressive, relaxing and an excellent travelling companion. I don't think it really has any hidden depths though so if you're not sure at first and find something lacking, it probably won't appear further down the line.

I've found the car to be more of a fast luxury car than a hot hatch and lacking the fun factor associated, something which may see me trade it in for a Focus RS next year. I'm determined to keep it for a year to make sure though, as it's so good at what it does.

Reactions: Mark_86
Hmmm, dunno really as only a few weeks in to my S3, but I also came from a quite different car, so will chime in with some thoughts.
My last car was a Mercedes CLS 350 AMG Line, and was a fantastic, luxurious cruiser. The S3 is a very different car, but I am don't think of it as a downgrade, per se, even if it is a couple of 'classes' lower in the range.....

Where the CLS was a hugely capable mile-muncher, it was a 5m long car that was noticeable as such. It was refined (even for diesel!), effortless and a really elegant place to be. The S3 is a very different car, but I really like the difference - back in the day, I loved Renault hot hatches, so perhaps this is a mid-life crisis car for me :p As I said, I haven't had the S3 for long, but it puts a massive smile on may face every single time I go to get in, and this is without even really having had any opportunity to open that taps yet, either, as still running in a little. I find the cabin a very nice place to be - yes, there are a few places that the Mercedes was liberally covered in soft leather, and the S3 has plastics or faux, but......

I will post back in a few months time if my feelings towards the S3 have changed, but - for me - I am very happy; not better, not worse, just different :)

Hey, thanks for such a lengthy reply, I think we've come from very similar cars. I'm feeling much more positive about this car after reading your post; I suppose this is clearly an issue of understanding that I've bought a different style of vehicle. I think that's the part I'm going to get used to. I know I'm not in love with my BMW, so perhaps I'm being slightly unfair with my expectations.

Cheers pal!

Reactions: David McQueen
IMO hard to love an S3, easy to respect and be impressed at its ability to cover ground very quickly in all conditions. It is very efficient in a Germanic kind of way but does mean it does most things pretty well. The real reason for an S3 is the performance that is so easily accessible and usable, if you didn't give it some larrup on the test then you probably missed the main reason for it.
By the sounds of your post you already know not to buy it, if you really don't like the interior then buy something else. Ironically I think the interior in the S3 is way better than any BMW 1/3 series which goes to show you can't please everybody all of the time.

I completely agree about the interior. One of my bugbears about this BMW is the cabin design and quality. That's one of my main reasons for switching to an Audi. My problem was that the S3 seems to be the only Audi where the quality is lacking. I've ordered the extended leather pack on the s3 though, so hopefully that all help.

I've had mine now since May, I came from a modified Focus ST mk2. I find the S3 deeply impressive, relaxing and an excellent travelling companion. I don't think it really has any hidden depths though so if you're not sure at first and find something lacking, it probably won't appear further down the line.

I've found the car to be more of a fast luxury car than a hot hatch and lacking the fun factor associated, something which may see me trade it in for a Focus RS next year. I'm determined to keep it for a year to make sure though, as it's so good at what it does.

I suppose in some ways I'm not expecting hidden depths, just wondering if it's grown on people as they've driven it more. Interesting that you consider it a luxury car, I wonder if I was just being unfairly hard on it

We're all different and like different things thankfully.
I came from a larger car, an S5 Sportback, to the S3 Saloon.
I've yet to see a car in the same price bracket like-for-like beat Audi on interiors.
I'm sure you didn't find the S3 as quick purely due to the test drive conditions. My S5 was a huge surge of supercharged power, whereas the S3 more of a kick in the kidneys as it's lighter.
I've had my S3 10 months......... am I in love with it?, no but I like a lot of things about it and don't regret getting it. Did I prefer my last car?......... yes but it was too big for our needs and was up for a change as I tend to get rid within the 3 years of warranty.

Wow OK, if you came down from an s5 to this, that's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for. That's really encouraging.

Ok thanks for replies, everyone - feeling much more positive about my decision now.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
That's a pretty astonishing view but each to their own I guess. While I agree the A3 and S3 models lack feeling or soul, to say it feels like a Renault inside is absolutely staggering as it has the best in-class interior and trumps the BMW and Mercedes by a significant margin. I actually prefer my A3's interior over my F-Type R. The materials are of premium quality and everything is laid out in a very intuitive way.

It is well documented that Audi cars aren't the most sharp or involving to drive so if that's the overriding factor for you (perhaps it weighs on whether the intention is for it to be a daily or more of a weekend car) then it's probably best to consider something else?

From a personal standpoint I find the A3/S3 models to be great daily drivers with efficient engines (especially the 1.4 TSI CoD).

Either way best of luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and James.B8
Convincing yourself to spend circa £40k on a car that you don't like is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Save yourself 40,000 bones and keep your BMW.

I mean that in the nicest possible way

Reactions: TDI-line, James.B8, S32B and 1 other person
Sorry, should've elaborated. I don't think it's like a Renault because of he build quality or materials, just in the sense that it's very cramped, and because of the hidden screen, very spartan on the dashboard, too.

As I said earlier, completely agree in regards to the BMW. However, I definitely disagree about Mercedes. They feel like a generation beyond anything right now.

My choice was between this and a class cabriolet, and the only reason I've not gone with the c class is because all the lease options are pre-built, so I can't spec any cool stuff. The e class coupe was also an option, but for the money, I had to skimp on overall performance in order to pay for the must-have options.

The S3 is currently the only car that offers great performance with current-generation media technology, along with a decent sound system etc. My problem was that it all just felt a bit crap when I was in it, but after reading what's been said on here, I clearly need to be a little less harsh on it. A second drive is definitely needed.

I also came out of a modified Focus ST like @Jai . I can't say I'm in love with it, I've had it about 7 months now. It's a soulless thing, but very efficient and impressive point to point. It's not got any character to it imo, so I'm really struggling to fall for it like I did my ST. I need to go for a proper hack about in it one late evening and see if I can find its inner hooligan. I think it's the lack of steering feel that bothers me most.

As a general car, its awesome. Honestly, the finish, tech and attention to detail are great. I've got the extended leather pack and it makes a difference imo, also consider adding the light bars in the doors.

Convincing yourself to spend circa £40k on a car that you don't like is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Save yourself 40,000 bones and keep your BMW.

I mean that in the nicest possible way

It's a lease car, and it's going back - I don't have the choice to keep it, nor do I want it. the S3 is thecar in my price range (400 a month) that ticks the most boxes - hence my question. Sorry if that appears "dumb" to you. It doesn't strike me as particularly dumb to wonder if a car will grow on you. I hated my BMW at first, coming from a Mercedes, and finding that so many basic flourishes were missing from my new car. 18 months later, I've discovered much to love.

It's a lease car, and it's going back - I don't have the choice to keep it, nor do I want it. the S3 is thecar in my price range (400 a month) that ticks the most boxes - hence my question. Sorry if that appears "dumb" to you. It doesn't strike me as particularly dumb to wonder if a car will grow on you. I hated my BMW at first, coming from a Mercedes, and finding that so many basic flourishes were missing from my new car. 18 months later, I've discovered much to love.
That's ok. Lease or not I still think it's "dumb".
I cannot relate to your method of thinking at all. I don't know many people that would buy or lease a car that they hated...in your case the BMW. Regardless of the fact that you went on to love the car.

I could understand leasing/buying a cheap car that you hate, assuming the overriding factor was to buy something cheap that gets you from A to B but to spend £400...wow.

Anyway I'm off. This is going off topic. Good luck with whatever you decide

To be dead honest a 15 minute town test drive with a salesman yapping in your ear is not going to tell you much. I suggest you book a demo S3 for a minimum 4 hour test drive for a true evaluation of whether the car suits your requirements.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Hi there,

Got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I'm in the market for a new car, and have a very specific budget and set of requirements. Strangely, the S3 seems to be the most likely candidate. The problem is, after a test drive, I was left really empty about the car.

I currently have a BMW 430D XDrive M Sport Gran Coupe, so it's a clear downgrade to go to the Audi (no offence to any S3 owners, I'll be one of you soon).

My problem was how soulless the car felt in general. I didn't like the interior at all, it felt like I was in a Renault Clio, there was nothing premium about it, even with the sports seats and the Virtual Cockpit.

My problem is that this is the only car that has all the features I want in a vehicle, and I'm wondering if anyone got theirs, felt the same as me, but then grew to love it?

I test drove mine in traffic and only got to put my foot down for very short periods, and it was with a salesman in the car. My problem was that my BMW felt sharper, faster, more fun, and ultimately, just better in every regard. However, I accept that driving one car for a year and another for 15 minutes in traffic is hardly a comparison.

So yeah, my main question is did anyone come from a similar car to me, were they at first disappointed, and did they then go to love the S3?

Thanks!
Hmmmm I dont think you got to drive it properly as you said the salesman was with you. Id book another test drive by the sound of it maybe that might change your opinion. Trust me though the audi s3 is in a different level of performance compared to the 4 series.

A stage 3 S3 went 10.136 this past Sunday, fastest TTE525 record... If you aren’t impressed with stock, a simple stage 1 with a few minor tweaks will bring you big smile. MQB is the most capable platform for tuning right now and best bang for the bucks :)

I don't have an S3 but I can say what I think of the A3. When I first got it I loved it (nice new car and seemed great) but the more I drive it, the more I notice the steering does lack feel and sometimes the car is dull. Shortly after buying the car I took it on a 2,000 mile road trip to (and around) Scotland and that's where I realised its true potential. Nice windy roads, fast and exciting overtakes, great handling in the rainy weather, loud turbo noise and it looked absolutely stunning when it was parked up. Now when I'm driving it for work it is dull but remembering that trip and what the car can do is what makes me love it!

Buy it and take it for a road trip around the UK/France or Europe.... You'll fall in love :)

Reactions: Russkiya
Sorry, should've elaborated. I don't think it's like a Renault because of he build quality or materials, just in the sense that it's very cramped, and because of the hidden screen, very spartan on the dashboard, too.

As I said earlier, completely agree in regards to the BMW. However, I definitely disagree about Mercedes. They feel like a generation beyond anything right now.

My choice was between this and a class cabriolet, and the only reason I've not gone with the c class is because all the lease options are pre-built, so I can't spec any cool stuff. The e class coupe was also an option, but for the money, I had to skimp on overall performance in order to pay for the must-have options.

The S3 is currently the only car that offers great performance with current-generation media technology, along with a decent sound system etc. My problem was that it all just felt a bit **** when I was in it, but after reading what's been said on here, I clearly need to be a little less harsh on it. A second drive is definitely needed.
Each to their own :) If Mercedes integrated that god awful iPad into the dashboard a little better though I'd be very tempted. Either way if you're looking for driving dynamics then you're best off with the BMW, but as a straight line demon (if a little soulless) then the S3 is unrivalled in its class unless you consider the Golf R.

That's ok. Lease or not I still think it's "dumb".
I cannot relate to your method of thinking at all. I don't know many people that would buy or lease a car that they hated...in your case the BMW. Regardless of the fact that you went on to love the car.

I could understand leasing/buying a cheap car that you hate, assuming the overriding factor was to buy something cheap that gets you from A to B but to spend £400...wow.

Anyway I'm off. This is going off topic. Good luck with whatever you decide

I wouldn't buy a car I "hated" either. I'm not sure where you got that from my post, because I certainly didn't say anything close. If you're going to tacitly insult me, at least do it based on facts.

Each to their own :) If Mercedes integrated that god awful iPad into the dashboard a little better though I'd be very tempted. Either way if you're looking for driving dynamics then you're best off with the BMW, but as a straight line demon (if a little soulless) then the S3 is unrivalled in its class unless you consider the Golf R.
God you're right, the screen in Mercs might as well be floating in mid air.

To be dead honest a 15 minute town test drive with a salesman yapping in your ear is not going to tell you much. I suggest you book a demo S3 for a minimum 4 hour test drive for a true evaluation of whether the car suits your requirements.
Do you know anywhere in the south east that allows a long test drive? I phoned seven or eight dealerships and none of them did anything except accompanies tests. I even complained about it on the Audi Facebook page and they said it was because of insurance purposes.

I'm considering a Porsche Cayenne as another vehicle, and they let me have one for the whole weekend.

Do you know anywhere in the south east that allows a long test drive? I phoned seven or eight dealerships and none of them did anything except accompanies tests. I even complained about it on the Audi Facebook page and they said it was because of insurance purposes.

I'm considering a Porsche Cayenne as another vehicle, and they let me have one for the whole weekend.
Hmmm thats strange. Try Audi oxford A family member was allowed to have an unaccompanied test drive of An audi a5 cabriolet although they did keep his car keys as security and a copy of your license. I know its not an S3 but it had the same value as one. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't buy a car I "hated" either. I'm not sure where you got that from my post, because I certainly didn't say anything close. If you're going to tacitly insult me, at least do it based on facts.
You're not sure where I got that from?
I hated my BMW at first, coming from a Mercedes....

Buying or leasing doesn't matter. I would never pay for a car that I didn't like let alone "hated".

The majority of people that read your first post would come to the same conclusion as me i.e. You really did not like the S3, both in terms of driving experience and interior design - Which is absolutely fine, that's your opinion and you're wholly entitled to it.
My 'opinion' was to save your money because from what you said, it sounded like an awful decision to spend £40k or £400pm on a car, in the hope that it grows on you. Absolutely ludicrous methodology.

There are plenty of other cars on the market that will tickle your fancy, go find one that you like/enjoy/love from day 1.

End of story.

Reactions: Rolly12 and PanamaS3

Where in the South east are you? I'm in Southampton if you fancy a meeting up?

Bit reverse for me. The initial honeymoon period was great but then the S3 soon felt lacking, maybe a soul or something.
To be fair though, if its German it's a little soulless. Fast, great perceived quality but soulless. Other brands just carve it up for driving enjoyment.
The main issue is what people expect with the S3. Looks great, goes fast in a straight line. If that's your thing then you're got the right car.

If anything I miss the Focus ST estate I had. It just felt more connected to the road and hit corners better. Still the Misses has the S3 now but what does she know :whistle2: She likes driving miss daisy

If, you are under 25 or even 30 that may be the issue for dealer insurance on unaccompanied test drives. I am way past that age threshold and have never had an issue on test drives over 4 hours or longer.

forgive me for being blunt....but what a stupid comparison: a car you own and know all of its pros/cons versus a 15 minute drive in traffic with salesman next to you.
go and get a proper test drive then make your mind up.
if you don't like the interior at all and think its a Renault Clio then I suggest you also book an appointment at SpecSavers lol

Reactions: Jassyo06, TDI-line and Djs3saloon
If, you are under 25 or even 30 that may be the issue for dealer insurance on unaccompanied test drives. I am way past that age threshold and have never had an issue on test drives over 4 hours or longer.

38, didn't even get to asking me my age. Literally just flat out stated that it was a policy across the whole of the Sytner Group. That's whenn I contacted the Guildford branch, and they stated the same. I'll try the Oxford branch like the guy above.

forgive me for being blunt....but what a stupid comparison: a car you own and know all of its pros/cons versus a 15 minute drive in traffic with salesman next to you.
go and get a proper test drive then make your mind up.
if you don't like the interior at all and think its a Renault Clio then I suggest you also book an appointment at SpecSavers lol

I'll forgive you for being blunt, but I'll also forgive you for apparently not being able to read the part of the post where I flat-out admit that the comparison is hardly fair. Unfortunately, I can only go on the information I have available, hence why I'm on here trying to get more. Does that seem less stupid to you, now?

Where in the South east are you? I'm in Southampton if you fancy a meeting up?

Thanks for the offer man, I'm all the way up in Kensington, though. That's another weird thing about this car, too, I haven't seen a single one where I am. Not one. Never seen one drive past, parked up, etc. That's a pretty large factor for me, too, they aren't particularly common, which is a plus.

Bit reverse for me. The initial honeymoon period was great but then the S3 soon felt lacking, maybe a soul or something.
To be fair though, if its German it's a little soulless. Fast, great perceived quality but soulless. Other brands just carve it up for driving enjoyment.
The main issue is what people expect with the S3. Looks great, goes fast in a straight line. If that's your thing then you're got the right car.

If anything I miss the Focus ST estate I had. It just felt more connected to the road and hit corners better. Still the Misses has the S3 now but what does she know :whistle2: She likes driving miss daisy

I'm just thinking about what you've said here, and I do actually only care about straight line speed far more than cornering ability. I live in the middle of London, so it's not like I ever encounter a B-Road. Most of my high speed driving is done whilst trying to overtake Uber drivers. I don't think my BMW has much soul, but it's a nice place to be (although the cabin really does feel like something from 2005).

I think I've just got to get over this and buy it. There's nothing on the market that has two screens, black styling, insane speed, CarPlay, etc for the money. I'll have a Cayenne for the times when I need the luxury, I guess.

Part of the overall appeal of this is that a small car is going to be waaaaay more usable day-to-day.

Hi there,

Thanks!
S3 a clear downgrade from a 4 series BMW? Is that a joke? My friend has the same bmw you say you have and at no point have I ever thought I’d want one, for me it has nothing desirable about it, certainly when it comes to the interior.. each to their own I guess though.. only had my s3 3 weeks but I have zero regrets.

You're not sure where I got that from?

Buying or leasing doesn't matter. I would never pay for a car that I didn't like let alone "hated".

The majority of people that read your first post would come to the same conclusion as me i.e. You really did not like the S3, both in terms of driving experience and interior design - Which is absolutely fine, that's your opinion and you're wholly entitled to it.
My 'opinion' was to save your money because from what you said, it sounded like an awful decision to spend £40k or £400pm on a car, in the hope that it grows on you. Absolutely ludicrous methodology.

There are plenty of other cars on the market that will tickle your fancy, go find one that you like/enjoy/love from day 1.

End of story.

You're still missing the part where the car is not a total failure. It ticks enough boxes for me to want it, and to justify the money, I just expected to "love" it, and I didn't. So I'm on here asking if people's opinions of it have changed over time. It's really not that controversial.

S3 a clear downgrade from a 4 series BMW? Is that a joke? My friend has the same bmw you say you have and at no point have I ever thought I’d want one, for me it has nothing desirable about it, certainly when it comes to the interior.. each to their own I guess though.. only had my s3 3 weeks but I have zero regrets.

Cool story bro