1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warren's S5 Build Thread

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by warren_S5, May 22, 2014.

1. Statler

Statler Old enough to know better

[Jun 19, 2014]
    I do a monthly run to our Dublin office - about 250 mile round trip so I'm looking forward to this in the A5. It's been interesting and a tad painful on the ears doing it in the Corsa...
    Sandra, Snake Pliskin and Shrek5 like this.
  2. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Lol you'll certainly notice the difference between the Corsa and the A5! As the others say (and at the risk of sounding like a sycophantic tw*t) the A/S5 is a very talented car and covers a lot of bases very well. The S5 is certainly the best car I've been lucky enough to own and I don't foresee me changing it anytime soon.

The other day I chucked it around a bend slightly quicker than previously (and if I'm honest than I meant too) and was genuinely shocked at how well it held on... I think I let out an involuntary grunt. :redface:
    warren_S5, Sandra and Snake Pliskin like this.
  3. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]

Funny you should mention that mate .......

Part of my trip yesterday involved some fast roundabouts along a road I've travelled a number of times and in my TTS I could take them very fast indeed (even faster with the mag ride activated in super stiff sport mode) and I was able to take them 'surprisingly' quick in the S5 - and I had one of those moments too where I was pleasantly surprised at how the car gripped the road ... although my tyres were certainly up to super sticky temp and it was a hot evening :)

Love powering out from a roundabout too in s mode ... you're up to **** 70mph **** in no time :icon_thumright:
    Ashmcblue and Shrek5 like this.
  4. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]
    This is one of the areas where I'm thoroughly impressed with the car. Traffic is no longer a problem - I am just so comfortable and so insulated from the road that it no longer bothers me. When the road opens up, the car absorbs the bumps better than any car I've ever owned (and this is on 20" wheels and the sports suspension so I can only imagine how good it is for the S-Line cars etc) and for those fast starts and hard acceleration there is always plenty of grip... EXCEPT when I picked it up and understeered round a roundabout near the dealership where I thought the car could handle it :p admittedly it was raining... Maybe I should try again!

I've had a few long distance trips now in the S5 and it just eats the miles. Driving between cities is just effortless now. I no longer arrive after a few hours journey feeling tired.

Brilliant car.

I'm glad to say as well Statler - that all these characteristics apply to the car you've purchased; the seats are comfortable in there as well - though not as comfortable ;)
    warren_S5, Snake Pliskin and Shrek5 like this.
  5. Snake Pliskin

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Agreed ........

I have not driven the A5 diesel quattro, but I did take an A5 2.0 litre diesel front wheel drive for a 200 mile trip in one day December last year whilst my car was in the garage and I was totally impressed by how capable that car was too - being the diesel it was really quiet, had great torque and the fuel gauge did not drop every 10 mins :)

I was thoroughly impressed how comfortable and rapid that car was - the only thing which let it down was wheel spin through the front wheels being 2 wheel drive and in winter with slightly damp roads.

The Quattro diesel will eliminate that and just get the power down like the S5 - I think the 2.0 litre quattro diesel is a superb ownership proposition which balances all of the positives of the 5 range (inc purchase price and running costs) perfectly.
    Shrek5 and AdamZA like this.
  6. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Right, I'm back and I've had the chance to break the 1,000 mile mark!

I'll be short on the ground over the next couple of days as I'm easing back in to work and a relative had the audacity to pass away whilst we were in France so we've got the funeral on Friday afternoon.

The good news is the 8 hour ferry journey back from St. Malo has given me the opportunity to pen my thoughts on the S5 after 1000 miles in some detail. It's had a 'proper' seeing to on a raft of french roads (from belgian pave through to autoroute) so I've got some things to say!

And Chez (re: boot light) I'll get some pics up later.

It's good to be back...... NOT ;-)
  7. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Its good to have you back Warren, look forward to the write up. Sorry to hear of your loss. X
  8. Snake Pliskin

[Jun 19, 2014]

+ 1
    warren_S5 and Shrek5 like this.
  9. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Another +1, sorry to hear of your loss. :(
    warren_S5 likes this.
  10. warren_S5

11. Statler

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Warren

Welcome back, that's an excellent writeup, and as per the others, really sorry to hear of your loss.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  12. warren_S5

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Been a week of ****. Wife's auntie has died, her Dad's gone into hospital today with suspected heart attack, and we've just got her P60 today and she's been underpaid by her employer over the last year to the tune of about £4k. Never rains.... We have our health (to some extent!) and a good life so we need to remember how fortunate we are. Thanks for all the kind comments.
    S3Alex, DAYTONA500 and veeeight like this.
  13. DAYTONA500

DAYTONA500 Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Welcome back Warren and sorry for your loss,you've got to enjoy life and cherish what you've got.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  14. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Sorry to hear about your loss Warren. All the best
    warren_S5 likes this.
  15. Statler

[Jun 19, 2014]
    Warren, if it's any consolation the Mrs' dad has had three heart attacks and has been stented twice. Despite diabetes and a few other ailments is still going strong at 77.
  16. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jun 27, 2014]
    Hi Warren,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss,and wanted to offer my belated condolences.

Some months or even years are just awful,and hopefully the rest of this one is better,and you can continue improving your car.

All the best.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  17. warren_S5

[Jun 27, 2014]
    Cheers chap. The week has been a bit of a mixed bag. Clare's father is having to have a stint put in, but now his left leg has swollen up in diameter so more tests being done. Glad to have got the first funeral out the way. An autopsy found that whilst she was being treated for cancer, she actually died as a result of acute diverticulitis which wasn't picked up. The immediately family aren't best pleased but it can't be undone now.

My wife's company have agreed to pay up to the tune of nearly £4.5k, but not so much as a flinch or apology. Corporate outsourcing at its best! Suppose we should be grateful the money will come our way eventually, but they can't be bothered to make a bespoke payment as it costs too much so she's got to wait until next month to get the money!

Hopefully now things will settle down as to be frank I'm only just getting back on my own feet after last years shenanigans! Onwards and upwards and thanks for the kind words.
    veeeight, S3Alex and scotty76 like this.
  18. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jun 28, 2014]
    Jeez Warren,that really is a mixed bag,and scant comfort in it.

Hopefully that's not a DVT that her father has,but I'd say it's a serious possibility,but at least something that should be treatable,and some of the stent-related medications will tend to reduce that risk also.

Ever onwards......
    warren_S5 likes this.
  19. warren_S5

[Jun 28, 2014]
    Biggest issue of the week just surfaced, Steve McQueens Gulf liveried Porsche 917 is being put up for auction and will likely hit 8 figure value and I'm running skint this month. If it sells it will likely never be seen or driven again :-(

Porsche 917 from Le Mans film for sale - Telegraph

Oh cruel fate why do you taunt me! I have the watch, now I need the bloody car. Donations welcome!
    Shrek5 and Inked like this.
  20. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jun 28, 2014]
    That's a real shame....I've just been reading "McQueen's Machines",which details most if not all of the cars he owned,and he clearly loved driving them,so to shut this away would be a waste.

Another good read is "Winning:The racing life of Paul Newman".

Both of those guys were true competitors,and Newman was actually really rather good.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    warren_S5 likes this.
  21. Inked

Inked Takin it easy

[Jun 28, 2014]
    Man, only just seen these updates. Very sorry to hear of your troubles mate. Both my wife's father and my dad have had stents fitted (my dad's was this year after a heart attack) with success.

I think when it comes to McQueens car, as it is unlikely you will get it to go with your watch, you should just send your watch to me as I wouldn't need the car to go with it so would not feel like it was missing from my life :)
    warren_S5 and S3Alex like this.
  22. warren_S5

[Jul 1, 2014]
    DAYTONA500, Snake Pliskin and Inked like this.
  23. Keef

Keef Active Member

[Jul 1, 2014]
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    warren_S5 and scotty76 like this.
  24. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Jul 1, 2014]
    Let me know if you're planning a mini meet up and I'll see if I can sneak it past swimbo. :)
  25. warren_S5

[Jul 1, 2014]
    I think I'm about on Sunday, what sort of time are you thinking.

Not booked in at Revo just yet as I've had a stinking expensive couple of weeks with holidays etc. Need to get it in within the next 8 weeks though.
  26. Keef

Keef Active Member

[Jul 1, 2014]

On Sunday the train gets me to Reading just after 3pm, but looks like its a bus (peasant carrier) from there to Newbury, next bus not till 4pm so probably won't get to Nick's until 5ish - unless I get fed-up of waiting and jump in a taxi.

So could be between 4.30 - 5.30.

No worries if you're busy guys be would be cool to compare and contrast!
  27. warren_S5

[Jul 6, 2014]
    Got to meet Keef and Scotty76 today at DMC detailers. Keefs car had been treated with CQ Quartz, looked amazing so I'll be very pleased to get mine done in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S4 Avant, S4 Saloon, S5 Coupe all built within a couple of weeks of each other in May 2014 as we shared out 'waiting threads' together so really nice to meet the owners face to face.
    Snake Pliskin, Keef, S3 Rav and 3 others like this.
  28. scotty76

[Jul 6, 2014]
    Keef likes this.
  29. warren_S5

[Jul 6, 2014]
    Interesting, not cheap but if it works well it's a great way of cutting a lot of pain out of the process.
    scotty76 likes this.
  30. Keef

Keef Active Member

[Jul 7, 2014]
    Great photos Warren!

Thanks for thanking the time to meet up guys.

Had some rain on the journey home up the M40, good chance to try out the glass treatment Nick applied
    (Car pro FlyBy30) had to turn off the auto wipers, very odd sensation watching the rain going up the windscreen!

Scotty - After the money I've spent on treatments, buckets, towels, snow foam lance etc.. don't think I could get away with another £60!
    Looks good though
    warren_S5 likes this.
  31. warren_S5

[Jul 7, 2014]
    Oh and to the both of you, get those bloody awful dealer tax discs out of your window! A magnetic tax disc holder from Halfords (for the interim until October removal) will make the front window look less cluttered!!! (all for about £2!)
    Snake Pliskin likes this.
  32. scotty76

[Jul 7, 2014]
    LOL, know that feeling. Fortunately I have a garage full of stuff built up over the last 4 years. I got it a bit at a time. However, even I am unconvinced about splashing £60 on something that's only going to be good for 20 rinses. Maybe just stick to the microfibre towels and the bike pump. :)
  33. scotty76

[Jul 7, 2014]
    Heh heh, I'm so lazy. :)
  34. Statler

[Jul 7, 2014]
    Guys
    I use water from my rain barrel. Water inlet is tapped off the downspout and filtered on the way in and then filtered again on the way out through gauze for final rinse. I use the two watering can method... ;-)

Saves a fortune on silly filters and water is always on tap... 'scuse the pun!

If you can't dry it off then you can be happy that you won't get horrible limescale spots.

I've found that the filter things attached to taps can still leave residue.

HTH
    scotty76 likes this.
  35. scotty76

[Jul 7, 2014]
    Thanks for that. I have two water butts in the garden, daisy chained together. What I don't have are any filters. Maybe that's all I need.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  36. Statler

[Jul 7, 2014]
    I made my own, easy enough to do, fish tank filters!
    It's mostly to filter the bigger particles out that come from the gutter.
    A drain and good clean a couple of times a year with a power hose helps.
    warren_S5 and scotty76 like this.
  37. warren_S5

[Jul 8, 2014]
    As it's all gone a bit quiet from me in terms of running the car in and getting the mileage under it's belt I thought I'd chip in with some / next steps and photos to liven things up a bit.

So the car has now hit 1500 miles and thankfully the slight stutter I had at idle seems to have completely disappeared despite returning to Shell Um Bongo 98 whatever they're calling it this week (Optimax V-Power Nitro Plus with added magic beans).

Nothing new to report in respect of any work done, so whats in the wings:

1) A full detail with CQuartz at DMC in the coming weeks
    2) A 5000 mile mid run in oil change
    3) A review of all the current crop of performance mods on the market to see what might best suit my needs going forward

I'll be driving a 'B' group hire car for the coming weeks so the '5' will mothballed for a bit which will keep the miles down and make the car feel better when it gets used at weekends.

In terms of pictures I'm conscious a lot of people photograph the outside of the cars quite a bit, but interiors are harder to photograph as they are tight to work with. I cracked out the 12mm fish super wide angle lens (running at 18mm in DX format) to get some shots of the interior as it might be useful to see what some of the interior options look like in the flesh (as you can't often see them at the dealers). I have a few more to take, but I'll use this post to detail the interior and options.

FRONT INTERIOR VIEW
    [​IMG]

DRIVERS SEAT VIEW
    [​IMG]

S5 FLAT BOTTOMED MULTI FUNCTION STEERING WHEEL WITH LATE (LARGER) S-TRONIC PADDLES
    [​IMG]

REAR SEATS WITH THROUGHLOAD / ARMREST DOWN AND CUP HOLDERS EXTENDED
    [​IMG]

REAR SEATS WITH ARMREST UP WITH B&O REAR SPEAKERS
    [​IMG]

S5 CLOCKS - WITH 160MPH LIMIT :-(
    [​IMG]

NAV HIGH MEDIA WITH ALBUM ARTWORK
    [​IMG]

AUDI DRIVE SELECT
    [​IMG]

ADS INNER MENU (WITH SPORTS DIFF / DYNAMIC STEERING / ACTIVE DAMPERS)
    [​IMG]

AUDI NAV ADVANCED 3G HIGH WITH CONNECT SERVICE
    [​IMG]

THE LEGENDARY SUPER SPORT SEAT IN LUNAR SILVER / BLACK
    [​IMG]

AFTERMARKET LED LIGHTING (TRUPS)
    [​IMG]

AFTERMARKET LED LIGHTING IN OVERHEAD / VANITY MIRROR (TRUPS)
    [​IMG]

CENTRE CONSOLE WITH ADVANCED KEY OPTION (RED RING STOP/START BUTTON) / AUDI DRIVE SELECT / ADVANCED PARKING WITH CAMERA / SIM & SD CARD SLOTS
    [​IMG]

AUTO DIMMING REAR MIRROR WITH AMBIENT LIGHT PACK (RED LED's) AND AFTERMARKET LED PACK FROM TRUPS (MAIN LIGHTING)
    [​IMG]

SUPER SPORTS SEATS WITH COMFORT ELECTRONIC ADJUSTMENT AND LUMBAR CONTROL
    [​IMG]

As I said there are some more to come which I have yet to process of some of the more obscure intricacies of the interior options, but this was a starter for 10, the rest tonight!
    s3_trev, markyy, GlynRS2 and 4 others like this.
  38. Snake Pliskin

[Jul 8, 2014]
    ha ha lol ...... I always have a magnatec holder ready for day 1

Dealer MASSIVE tax disc holders are ousted straight away for me too :)
    GlynRS2, DAYTONA500 and warren_S5 like this.
  39. Snake Pliskin

[Jul 8, 2014]
    They are superb pictures mate ..... and reminds you just how classy & luxury the S5 interior is.

Love the "LEGENDARY" Super Sport Seat tag line LOL :icon_thumright:
    warren_S5 likes this.
  40. warren_S5

[Jul 8, 2014]
    And a few more:

THE MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTMENT (PART OF EXTENDED COMFORT PACK)
    [​IMG]

THE BANG & OLUFSEN SPEAKER GRILLE FRONT DOOR (LOGO WON'T COME OUT IN PHOTO FOR SOME REASON AS IT KEEPS OVER OR UNDER EXPOSING!)
    [​IMG]

POVERTY SPEC CRUISE CONTROL (NOT ADAPTIVE / PRE-SENSE ETC)
    [​IMG]

MMI HIGH / NAV HIGH (SD CARDS / 3G SIM) - I KNOW, I KNOW, THE DUST IS UNACCEPTABLE!
    [​IMG]

STOP / START BUTTON AS PART OF ADVANCED KEY
    [​IMG]

S5 MMI SCREEN
    [​IMG]

AUDI CONNECT FACILITIES (PAGE 1)
    [​IMG]

AUDI CONNECT FACILITIES (PAGE 2)
    [​IMG]

GOOGLE MAPS DETAIL VIEW (200 YARDS) - AND NO THIEVES THIS IS NOT WHERE I LIVE, I WOULDN'T BE THAT F****G STOOPID! (3G SIM CARD REQUIRED IN DASH OR VIA PHONE BLUETOOTH PROFILE)
    [​IMG]

B&O DSP FUNCTIONS
    [​IMG]

AUDI MUSIC INTERFACE (GLOVE BOX CONNECTIONS FOR HDD / IPOD - WITH RED COLLAR FOR LAST GEN IPOD)
    [​IMG]

COLOUR DIS
    [​IMG]

DIGITAL SPEEDO (THAT DOES GO ABOVE 160MPH SO I'M TOLD!)
    [​IMG]

ELECTRIC / FOLDING / DIMMING / HEATED MIRRORS WITH AUTO DIP ON REVERSE
    [​IMG]

LUGGAGE / STORAGE PACK
    CARGO NETTING ON REAR SEATS
    [​IMG]

REAR CENTRE CONSOLE POWER SUPPLY
    [​IMG]

THROUGH LOAD COLLAPSED (LOCKABLE WITH KEY)
    [​IMG]

FIRST AID KIT IN ARMREST
    [​IMG]

12V SOCKET IN FRONT ARMREST
    [​IMG]

12V SOCKET IN STORAGE COMPARTMENT IN BOOT
    [​IMG]

REAR CARGO NETTING / CURRY HOOKS (2) / STORAGE AREA AND OPTIONAL BOOT FLOOR PROTECTOR (POLYSTYRENE TYPE MATERIAL) FROM ACCESSORIES BOOK AT AUDI (SEE DISKLOK IN BOOT - HIGH TECH ANTI THEFT DETERRANT!)
    [​IMG]

AND FINALLY, THE MONEY SHOT!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    s3_trev, t8ups, CHEZ and 9 others like this.