1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warren's S5 Build Thread

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by warren_S5, May 22, 2014.

1. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

The sure fire way to tell what's going on is to log the clutch clamping pressures during each state.

Then you will know for sure.

I think someone on the t'internet did this with a Golf R, but I'm on a mobile phone at the mo so can't search easily.

edit:
    Found it:
    VWVortex.com - Brake application = clutch depression

Code:

While stopped in neutral the pressure was 0 bar.
    While stopped in gear it was 2 bar.
    Upon releasing the brake (no throttle), it went up to 3 bar, then settled at 2.5 bar.
    During mild acceleration it peaked at 4 bar.
    During moderate acceleration it peaked at 6 bar.
    During heavy acceleration it peaked at 8 bar.
    During engine braking it dropped to 2.5 bar.
    Upon disengaging (~1000 rpm) it dropped back to 2 bar.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    warren_S5 likes this.
  2. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Will try that at some point, cheers V.

I've just got a date from DMC in mid July, so hopefully if I do a better job of my weekly clean routine than I do of looking after my alloys it should all be good.
  3. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

Just reporting back - no difference in revs between Drive/Hand brake and Drive/Brake.
    Snake Pliskin and warren_S5 like this.
  4. scotty76

scotty76 Active Member

Lol. It's gonna be Audi S month at DMC in July between you, me and Keef!
    warren_S5 likes this.
  5. Keef

Keef Member

Yep Nick will be knee deep in S cars - can wait to see his pics of the RS4 he has at the mo!

Finally got a Data SIM today - went with a 3, 3gb/3 month Pre pay £20 from amazon.
    Popped it in and it worked straight off, no activation or messing with setting. Haven't activated the online traffic subscription yet.
    Not sure how long we get?
    warren_S5 likes this.
  6. warren_S5

When I hooked it up I'm sure it said 3 years. Can you extend it?

The cherry black RS is mental isn't it. Akrapovic exhaust too. Bet it sounds sweet.

I got my place as an A45 AMG dropped out, so I snapped it up. I'll try and get up to meet you both when your cars are in just to put faces to the names as he's not 5 miles from me.
  7. Keef

Keef Member

Cool yeah be nice to meet up mate. The company that sold that RS4 have an RS6 in the same colour, looks awesome.
  8. DAYTONA500

DAYTONA500 Well-Known Member

Bramleys?
  9. scotty76

scotty76 Active Member

Wasn't it something daft like a £6k special order?
  10. scotty76

scotty76 Active Member

Yep, that's the one.
  11. DAYTONA500

They've been around for a long time and always have unusual high spec cars,they had an MTM RS3 in the same colour combo last year.
  12. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

Hmmm the s-tronics seem to be a bit of a flaff?

I've been toying with a change to an RS3 or S5 V6T, which would mean an S-tronic box like it or not.

I've often wondered how controllable it would be reversing slightly up into my garage , between 2 brick pillars, but hadn't anticipated any niggles in the forward direction!
    Veneeringman, DAYTONA500 and CHEZ like this.
  13. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing

congrats on your 1000th post :thumbsup:
    PaulRS3 likes this.
  14. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

Tbh I have no problems with my S Tronic. My previous car was automatic and this is more advanced so I'm happy.

Reversing for me is fine though it likes to rev a little to get the job done but I never feel out of control. My drive is on a slight slope.

My advice is just to test drive one. There are problems with any technology out there and there are certainly flaws with the S Tronic but I don't feel they are flaws which would keep me away from the car.

I used to hate automatics but my previous BMW gearbox and this S5 gearbox have changed my mind.
  15. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

In fairness it probably sounds worse the way we're discussing it than it actually is, it is never (in my experience) enough to be the cause of an accident or scrape. It's just the subtle things that as a human you can anticipate but a machine can't.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  16. warren_S5

I don't love it, but it's competent enough. Still undecided as to whether I'd buy it if I had the choice of manual, but I've driven auto boxes in the past that felt like they were invented by someone who had never driven a car in anger, this can cut it when you gun it.
    S3Alex and PaulRS3 like this.
  17. PaulRS3

Good spot! 12 years and 3 S3's!
    S3Alex, warren_S5 and AdamZA like this.
  18. PaulRS3

I guess given the choice I would " stick with what I know", but that choice isn't available.
    There is something satisfying about snicking up through a manual box, or throwing it into gear on down shifts I think I will miss.

Keep up the mods, it makes tempting reading.
  19. DAYTONA500

Ive had the RS3 and currently have S5 v6t they are chalk and cheese both great cars in their own right. You really need to try them back to back to compare them as I'm sure you will like them both.
  20. warren_S5

What was the main reason for your switch to the bigger car Ben?
  21. DAYTONA500

Having been diagnosed with 2 ruptured discs in my back i needed a more comfortable car .Adjustable suspension is great ,i drive the S5 in the Auto setting most of the time and in Dynamic for those spirited moments ,it's like having different cars at the touch of a button.The other thing i really like about a coupe is the large doors which make it easy to get in and out.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  22. warren_S5

Hope you're improving chap. I had sciatica following a load of injections in my back and the S5 is proving far more comfortable for that.

One other thing I found today, the 98RON fuel I've been using is making the car misfire at cold start and warm start so I'm reverting to 95RON which is easier to burn.
    scotty76 and DAYTONA500 like this.
  23. DAYTONA500

Thats interesting Warren as theres a debate going on the B8 S4 section at the moment, i ran my B8 S4 on 95 ron for 17k miles and it never missed a beat.
  24. dpaz

dpaz Active Member

What fuel is it Warren_S5?

Mine is fine on Shell V-Power 99RON.

The higher the octane rating the "easier" the fuel is to combust. So goes against what is actually happening (fuel not being burnt on ignition). But this is a B8.5 where as mines only a B8 so could be different?
  25. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

I had mine running V-Power Nitro as well and observed no problems. It seemed to pack a bit more punch but it could be a placebo effect.

Switched back to regular unleaded now that I know I'm not keeping the car.
  26. warren_S5

Shell Optimax Nitro Super Tuff Burner or whatever they call it these days.

I'm sure I've read somewhere the higher the octane rating the harder the fuel is to ignite. I'll double check in a minute, but in the first few minutes after a chilly start, or very occasionally on a warm start if I come to rest at a junction I'll get a slight misfire and shudder. We had one case where it missed about 10 times, but then cleared itself.

Hence I'm going to regress to 95 Shell. I have used 98 in both S3's for 7 years (hence the force of habit), but these have been high compression turbo engines running uprated maps / de gapped plugs and running high boost / timing advance. It may just have been a bedding in issue, but I see no point getting the car to run worse and pay extra for the privilege. It's not great at idle at the best of times, there's a slight shudder, so I'll see what 95 does at next fill and report back.
    Veneeringman, DAYTONA500 and scotty76 like this.
  27. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

That's really strange Warren - I've not encountered any shuddering even once... I will keep a look out for it now
  28. warren_S5

I know you can't believe everything you read on the web, but this seems to be a common theory:

It is harder to ignite higher octane gasoline - the octane rating expresses the compound's resistance to pre-ignition (often called "ping")Low octane fuels tend to 'ping' more than high octane fuels
    Veneeringman likes this.
  29. Rich M

Rich M Member

This is interesting, I will keep an eye on this as I have done 3 tanks of the stuff now but seems to be working great.
  30. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

The fuel filler cap note does state 92 or 95 ron though ....... no mention of 98 ron

Suggesting 98 ron is not recommended perhaps ?
  31. warren_S5

The way the manufacturers of the fuel sell it on TV is that you can largely use it in anything and you MAY(!?) get more MPG from each tank. I'd always used it as not only did it offer slightly more timing advance on turbo engines, but it is reputed to have better detergents in the optimax than standard (hard to believe), but the tolerances in the TFSi system may be such that in some engines unless the running parameters are just right you may get the slightest bit of plug fouling on repeat short journeys where the car overfuels on cold start and then the fuel is subsequently not burned off and forms a resin on the ceramic / tip which then affects the burn characteristic. Hard to say really, I just hope it's that and not weak coil packs or a bigger issue. I've not noticed it since we did a longer run to Portsmouth the other week so maybe it will clear itself????
    DAYTONA500 and Veneeringman like this.
  32. Snake Pliskin

One of the things I've picked up on over the years, rightly or wrongly is ....

Turbo engines tend to benefit from higher octane fuel - 98 / 99 ron

Naturally aspirated engines - like say my first TT which was a 3.2 litre V6 tend not be benefit.

So not sure where a super charged engine would figure in that ?

Always thought it weird though that it says on the fuel filler cap note that it can run on 92 ron !
    warren_S5 likes this.
  33. warren_S5

Managed to grab a few minutes to clean the old girl at lunchtime. One of those rare moments when the sun came out and the world felt a better place!

About 6 weeks until she's detailed now, but managing to keep the car looking presentable with a two bucket weekly wash.

Next belly of fuel will be a 95 Optimax and see if it settles. I did give it a bit of a thrash at the weekend so maybe that might have helped as it feels a touch more settled. I think I'd have to go for counselling if I put 92RON in it. Not even sure where you'd find it!

[​IMG]
  34. Snake Pliskin

Looking good there mate :icon_thumright:

Mine is ready for a clean again but looking at forecast rain showers are forecast almost every day for the next 7 days.

So whenever I clean it I just KNOW to expect it to be covered in water marks almost straight away :sign_unfair:
    warren_S5 likes this.
  35. warren_S5

Thanks chap. The weather in this country f*****g sucks! Calling it summer is trade descriptions act territory. I hate it.

To help with water marks get some of this: CarPro HydrO2 | Water Activated Sealant - Clean Your Car

Dilute it 3 parts water to 1 part chemical and then spray it onto the wet car (lightly) using a hand sprayer, then jet wash off. Really helps with streak marks etc.
    Snake Pliskin likes this.
  36. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

Cleaned mine at the weekend, perfect weather when I started, overcast but no rain forecast but just after getting the pre-wash done the sun came out blazing so was constantly having to go over bits I'd already done and constantly trying to keep it wet and cool. Eventually got it good enough and dried then it went overcast again and 'perfect' washing weather... :banghead:

Also wondered why I didn't get the cool doused in foam look from the pressure washer and snow foam... reaslised AFTER I'd finished I'd followed the 'pre-wash' instructions rather than the full foam instructions... what a muppet. :keule: Guess I should have taken the time to read and understand all of the instructions first. :rtfm:

I suppose I should have realised when I thought "Hmmm this 5 litres is going to last forever" when using ~25ml per wash. When I saw the full snow foam instructions I realised my mistake. :redface:
  37. warren_S5

Easily done chap, now that cleaning a car has become a 'science' it's more complex than making a three course haut cuisine dinner. I've seen chemistry labs with less bottles of chemicals than my car cleaning box! How easy it used to be!
    DAYTONA500 and Shrek5 like this.
  38. warren_S5

If you want to see something really ridiculous, this is what a space saver looks like on an S5. What's worse is this space saver is running a 15mm spacer behind it so the wheels run true front to back and it's almost hidden within the arch. Without the spacer it would look like I was levitating on air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  39. Snake Pliskin

Hmmm ... that product looks interesting !

May have to give that a go then as anything that can help against water marks after rain fall on our dark paint cars will be appreciated.

My TT from 2008 to 2011 was an absolute dream to clean and keep looking smart as it was ibis white ....

No water streaks when drying in hot weather and kept clean after rain ... brilliant colour for those of us who like our cars looking clean.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  40. Snake Pliskin

omg that just looks RIDICULOUS !!!!!

Why the hell have you got that on may we ask ? :)